Using ART with KitKat

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
With lollipop ART became officially the standard. I still feel that lollipop is to buggy for me to switch over but I was wondering if anyone is using ART with KitKat and how that is working out?

I'm hoping that ART is relatively bug free now that all apps basically have to write for art support and want to try it. I just wanted some feedback before I take the time to officially switch.

Thank you all in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
With lollipop ART became officially the standard. I still feel that lollipop is to buggy for me to switch over but I was wondering if anyone is using ART with KitKat and how that is working out?

I'm hoping that ART is relatively bug free now that all apps basically have to write for art support and want to try it. I just wanted some feedback before I take the time to officially switch.

Hello and welcome to Android Central scipper77

You can check out ART for yourself on KitKat by enabling Developer options and selecting ART. If you don't like it, you can switch back to Dalvik.

For what it's worth, ART is blooming great on the latest Lollipop releases. See, here.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

For me, using ART on KitKat really didn't help anything at all and slowed apps opening.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
how did you downgrade?odin doesnt seem to recognise my s5.

Posted via the Android Central App

I didn't downgrade. I had my S5 on KitKat until last month when I unrooted and upgraded it. I rooted on Odin and flashed what I needed while rooting, and after rooting.

Do you have to have the USB debugging turned on in developer options for Odin? I can't remember. There also used to be a sticky thread in the S5 forum giving directions to downgrade.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have tried ART in the past and there were a few bugs that made me decide to revert to dalvic. That was a year ago so I was just wondering if things are better now.

I know the question wasn't directed at me but I have not upgraded and my only motivation to upgrade is to get rid of the popup that samsung or verizon thinks needs to be in my face every time i look at my phone. My nexus just keeps a reminder in the notification bar.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have tried ART in the past and there were a few bugs that made me decide to revert to dalvic. That was a year ago so I was just wondering if things are better now.

I know the question wasn't directed at me but I have not upgraded and my only motivation to upgrade is to get rid of the popup that samsung or verizon thinks needs to be in my face every time i look at my phone. My nexus just keeps a reminder in the notification bar.

From everything I've seen, ART with KitKat was experimental and doesn't work the same as it does with Lollipop.

There were no advantages for me using it with KitKat, with Lollipop it is being used and working fine.

On KitKat, it literally saved me nothing, even if apps were working right. YMMV.

Last edited:

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
wifi connection was slow,battery was dropping quite fast,not use to the white backgrounds

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
wifi connection was slow,battery was dropping quite fast,not use to the white backgrounds

Was your WiFi slow just at one place?

My battery with my S5 and now my Note 4 is much better.

The white background for me has been good. It means I can keep my screen even lower, which helps the battery.