Samsung Galaxy S5 screen flickering followed by grains, what can I do?

Einstein119

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy s5 screen flickering followed by grains

The screen of my galaxy s5 started flickering(vertically) 2days back. Now it's unusable as there are multicoloured grains filling the screen and prevent me from actually viewing it. The screen went black 3 months ago following which I spent a fortune replacing the display touch portion. And now this has happened. How do I fix it?.
When I restart the phone the s5 Samsung black logo comes up ,and then it stays like that even when the phone has booted. I can see the wallpaper of the screen through a 0.5 cm normal part of the display at the top.
Once I turn off the screen and turn it back on ,its filled with grains except for the top .5cm of the screen. Touch function seems to work.

I have tried restarting the phone,factory resetting it, removing the battery & putting it back in.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy s5 screen flickering followed by grains

Usually flickering screens mean there's a hardware problem and it's not something easily debugged via software, unfortunately. Most you can do is turn your device off and try to boot into Recovery Mode. Does the contents of the screen display correctly there? If not, then it's definitely the screen and it needs repairing/replacing. It could be from a loose connector (usually if it's this you'd get good images sometimes, then if you move, you get the flickering) to a really damaged display panel (usually static lines or garbled colors).

Einstein119

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for a quick reply.

No even the recovery menu is unusable. And yes I get good distorted images of my screen instead of the grains at times(rarely). Do u think if it's a loose connector that maybe the service centre could fix it without replacing the screen. I really don't want to spent half the current cost of this phone on replacing a screen again.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
First I'd check if the screen you replaced has some sort of warranty, and if the image is garbled but it comes on visible at times (try shaking the phone a bit or pressing against the edges of the screen lightly), chances are it's a loose connector, and something that is more easily fixed. But I wouldn't rule out a display panel failure, which would need a replacement if that's busted.

sandburner14

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a hardware issue with the screen itself, my wife's S5 did this, did a factory reset as well as every other solution, and it only continued to get worse, sent it in, they claimed LCD damage, would not repair it under warranty because the phone was 14 months old, charged around $140 for the repair and return shipping, and now I know of 2 more having the same problem, mine and a friend of mine at work, all 3 phones are about the same age, and they are the only 3 I know of at this age, and all 3 had the problem, that's 3 for 3. I think there is a manufacturing defect, and samsung should fix the problem free of charge to everyone who experiences it, and if they won't, then we all need to start a class action lawsuit! It is beyond ridiculous that a phone that is just over 1 year old is having LCD failure, and Samsung refusing to stand behind their product. Please reply to this if anyone else is having the same issue. Anyone know a lawyer to start the class action lawsuit?

Bliss_77

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
This is a hardware issue with the screen itself, my wife's S5 did this, did a factory reset as well as every other solution, and it only continued to get worse, sent it in, they claimed LCD damage, would not repair it under warranty because the phone was 14 months old, charged around $140 for the repair and return shipping, and now I know of 2 more having the same problem, mine and a friend of mine at work, all 3 phones are about the same age, and they are the only 3 I know of at this age, and all 3 had the problem, that's 3 for 3. I think there is a manufacturing defect, and samsung should fix the problem free of charge to everyone who experiences it, and if they won't, then we all need to start a class action lawsuit! It is beyond ridiculous that a phone that is just over 1 year old is having LCD failure, and Samsung refusing to stand behind their product. Please reply to this if anyone else is having the same issue. Anyone know a lawyer to start the class action lawsuit?

My Samsung Galaxy s5 is now flickering. Googled the issue and came to this thread. Has anyone had any luck with fixing the problem other than LCD display failure? My phone is just going on 19 months old. It's only been flickering since yesterday but it's becoming really annoying!

Hankmac

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I thought the battery was not seated tight enough. My phone is 20 months old. It rings and the screen does not illuminate. Can't get it to light up when I need to use it either. Very annoying.

Androidlovagurl

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
So I have what is probably a ridiculous question, anyone have the S5 that is the white one? Reason I am asking is because I know of a few ppl who have had the issue and they are all the white model.... My phone is not even a year old, still under warranty, called Samsung today and was told I would have to send it in, have them repair it, then wait for them to return it. It could take up to 10 business days.... not that I can't wait but honestly, that's pathetic. I asked why they just couldn't replace it, they said because if I were not being truthful about what happened then I would owe the cost of the replacement.... I told the guy to send me a bill. I called my insurance company and they told me that they would cover a manufacture defect.... I said well if I lost it, how much would the deductible be, $175.... get out of here.... Ima buy a flip phone lol jk
:cool:

Ibn Ahmad

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
So I have what is probably a ridiculous question, anyone have the S5 that is the white one? Reason I am asking is because I know of a few ppl who have had the issue and they are all the white model.... My phone is not even a year old, still under warranty, called Samsung today and was told I would have to send it in, have them repair it, then wait for them to return it. It could take up to 10 business days.... not that I can't wait but honestly, that's pathetic. I asked why they just couldn't replace it, they said because if I were not being truthful about what happened then I would owe the cost of the replacement.... I told the guy to send me a bill. I called my insurance company and they told me that they would cover a manufacture defect.... I said well if I lost it, how much would the deductible be, $175.... get out of here.... Ima buy a flip phone lol jk
:cool:

I have the white S5 and it started having this problem last week. I tried most of the solutions available online but they only last a few days/hours.