How do I remove a software update notification?

A

AC Question

How to remove software update notification

A software update has been pushed on my S5 running 5.1.1. I do not wish to update, is there a way to get rid of the notification? Is there a way to get rid of the update file(s)?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You can only remove the notification and any downloaded update file by being rooted with a custom ROM.

If you are talking about the latest update on Verizon, other posts in this forum show that the update is a solid one.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to remove software update notification

A software update has been pushed on my S5 running 5.1.1. I do not wish to update, is there a way to get rid of the notification? Is there a way to get rid of the update file(s)?

You have 3 possible answers, depending on which model of phone you have...

1. On stock Samsung firmware, you can simply uncheck the update option.

2. On Verizon's cloneware, you will need to root your phone or accept the update.

3. On AT&T's cloneware, you cannot root and so you must accept the update.

See, also, #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide and February security update starts hitting Samsung's flagship devices

msv2200

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
You can remove the software update notification with a program called Package Disabler Pro (Samsung), from the app store and disable this: com.wssyncmldm

Cowboeee

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
you go setting - about device- autoupdate- untick that.
and then
you click the notification- click later - neveragain.

and its gone, for now.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
you go setting - about device- autoupdate- untick that.
and then
you click the notification- click later - neveragain.

and its gone, for now.
If it were that simple to disable updates on Verizon and AT&T-controlled Samsung S5 phones, it would have been posted already.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
You can remove the software update notification with a program called Package Disabler Pro (Samsung), from the app store and disable this: com.wssyncmldm

Does anyone know what I should be looking for to disable the new update that just came today for the S7E? I looked for wssyncmldm and it's not there.

Clawtee

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know what I should be looking for to disable the new update that just came today for the S7E? I looked for wssyncmldm and it's not there.

I have the same problem. Does anyone know what the new name for the update is in order to disable it on Package Disabler Pro? com.wssyncmldm is no longer there. Any chance it's com.wsomacp?

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Any chance it's com.wsomacp?

i don't think so. if you click to get more info it says "this package is part of default messaging client." I emailed the folks at EZ and they said that samsung doesn't let you disable the updates anymore. But I didn't upgrade to the recent versions of EZ on purpose because I knew they took that functionality away, so I asked them whether it would work in that case. Still waiting to hear back.

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
i don't think so. if you click to get more info it says "this package is part of default messaging client." I emailed the folks at EZ and they said that samsung doesn't let you disable the updates anymore. But I didn't upgrade to the recent versions of EZ on purpose because I knew they took that functionality away, so I asked them whether it would work in that case. Still waiting to hear back.

I did the same... I have an S7 edge..when I used package disabler premium. The notification message went away for 5 minutes... then It came back... is there anything we can do to finally have control over our phones?
Is there anything we could try to help stop the notification from winning???

Last edited by a moderator:

samsungsucksandroid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I just got off the phone with AT&T about disabling these automatic updates and they assured me these were Samsung updates and there is nothing they can do about it. I read earlier that these are actually Carrier driven and that you can turn them off if not for AT&T or Verizon. Is that true? I also read that there use to be a way to turn these off but that option has been taken away? I have an s6 edge and am trying to figure out how to disable these. The last time it updated, it did so at 3 AM, woke me up of course AND turned my wifi off. Has anyone else had the same results? Oh. i almost forgot, is there any chance that the carriers are data mining during the updatesand is there anyway to tell what the updates contain. They come over the phone as AT&T software updates but they insist they are Samsung.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got off the phone with AT&T about disabling these automatic updates and they assured me these were Samsung updates and there is nothing they can do about it. I read earlier that these are actually Carrier driven and that you can turn them off if not for AT&T or Verizon. Is that true? I also read that there use to be a way to turn these off but that option has been taken away? I have an s6 edge and am trying to figure out how to disable these. The last time it updated, it did so at 3 AM, woke me up of course AND turned my wifi off. Has anyone else had the same results?

Hello and welcome to Android Central samsungsucksandroid!

Same old AT&T BS I am afraid.

The rest of the world can turn off updates, see screenshot, except for the carrier branded models for AT&T and Verizon that run their own firmware. See, also, #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide for more details of the other restrictions that they impose and that we in the free world do not have.

samsungsucksandroid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for replying. I edited my question too include data mining. If you could, can you address that too? I am ok if i get my sleep but if you wake me up at 3 AM to update the software in my phone, i have an issue with it. I made sure they understood that. I am also wondering if there are any legal issues with this. I paid a lot of money for this phone and their service. I am with Guillermo and want MY control back of MY device. The lady i talked to assured me this was a Samsung update and there was nothing i could do about it. Well, let's see about that. The wifi being turned off is a money issue. If millions had their wifi turned off during an update, guess who benefitted from that?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Who knows what is actually in one of AT&T's updates apart from the details that they publish on their web site. In the past they have extended /system partitions to add more bloatware and have locked bootloaders. Not forgetting the NSA spyware of course. ;)

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
People...focus.... what canw we do right now to delete the annoying notification message once it downloaded the update... lucky me... I just got it downloaded but not installed...(after that I unselected the update box) but I am stuck with the message there all the time.. I installed package disabler premium and it stop notifying for 5 minutes.. but the firmware was not detected by the app.. I selected a similar one...so... it seems now it's not even possible to find the firmware anywhere on the phone. To try to disable it or something... well... I got my constant message on screen and I hate to have a 1000 dollars phone... for this...love the phone.. not the company pushing this updates... they are behaving worst than our well known cult apple....but if I am going to be obligated to be part of one... I am switching..I came to android... escaping from that... well... I'll pick the best cult... if it comes to that.
Please somebody help regain control of our very expensive phones.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
You have 2 options...

1. Factory Data Reset your phone. However, they will try and force the update on you again.

2. Accept the updates as they contain Google Security patches to protect your phone from known vulnerabilities such as Stagefright.

Make no mistake... this is not an Android or a Samsung thing. It is your carrier doing this to you. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87