outside of U.S. and phone wont boot up stuck on tmobile screen.

Anissa Mendez

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
im outside of the U.S. and had phone on air plane mode & data turned off, i turned phone off to preserve battery and when i tried to turn on, my samsung galaxy s5 will not boot up, it is stuck on tmobile screen. at first, thought this was because i was in area with no reception. but after having access to wifi, encountered same problem with booting up.

i already tried to start in safe mode, removed battery, removed sim card, delete cache, and nothing has worked. Also, when attempting to boot up, phone gets very hot. Is my phone damaged? :'(

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Android Central :) it definitely sounds like an issue with the phone. Even if you didn't have a sim card in the phone it should still power up. Has this issue happened before? Has the phone powered up at all recently?

espera

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
im outside of the U.S. and had phone on air plane mode & data turned off, i turned phone off to preserve battery and when i tried to turn on, my samsung galaxy s5 will not boot up, it is stuck on tmobile screen. at first, thought this was because i was in area with no reception. but after having access to wifi, encountered same problem with booting up.

i already tried to start in safe mode, removed battery, removed sim card, delete cache, and nothing has worked. Also, when attempting to boot up, phone gets very hot. Is my phone damaged? :'(

Same exact thing happened to me with my Samsung Galaxy S5. I was just out of the country w/data off and just using Wi-Fi. I had been in one country for two weeks with no issues. Turned my phone off before flying to my second destination this past Thursday to save battery and it would never get passed the white T-Mobile screen after that.

I tried everything I could think of and everything I could find online with no success (restarts, pulling battery, holding power button when battery out, wiping cache/partition, etc.). One thing I want to be clear about: I was never able to get it to boot up in safe mode. That is always my first go-to fix (safe mode and restart). I tried all the suggested methods and it just never worked. Something to keep an eye on.

I decided to wait for the nuclear option (factory reset) until I got back home on the off chance it would work. I arrived home today and I'm sorry to say, no such luck. Factory reset was my only option. I'm up and running now, reinstalling and reconfiguring my phone.