Marshmallow releases for Galaxy S5

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Stock unbranded firmware for the international, G900F, model has 12GB free, (11,980.86MB), for internal storage on Marshmallow.

Curious... It would be interesting to try and do a file for file comparison of each device to see where the bits are being consumed... This is why people want to get external SD cards.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I think I have 9gb free of the internal 16gb

Huh? Then you're much less bloated than I am... I mean... your phone, that is... Maybe I just have too many apps installed that are taking up my space...

Anyone with any ideas on how to unequivocally find out what's using the space, and on a very granular level?

edit: Just downloaded "DiskUsage" from the Play Store - turns out that I'm using 5.6GB just for apps, probably about 3GB (maybe more) from things that I have installed including all of the Google apps.

This is also after a total app restore from my FDR last night.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Huh? Then you're much less bloated than I am... I mean... your phone, that is... Maybe I just have too many apps installed that are taking up my space...

Anyone with any ideas on how to unequivocally find out what's using the space, and on a very granular level?

edit: Just downloaded "DiskUsage" from the Play Store - turns out that I'm using 5.6GB just for apps, probably about 3GB (maybe more) from things that I have installed including all of the Google apps.

This is also after a total app restore from my FDR last night.

Yeah, I only have a small handful of apps downloaded. The Startpage Search app, CCleaner, Adblock Browser, Barcode Scanner, Phone Info, Stagefright Detector, Polaris office and a live galaxy wallpaper. I like to see the galaxy swirling around there on my screen. I had Asphalt 8 on there but I kept crashing into stuff so I uninstalled that.

Of course, I've disabled a few Google apps that I don't use, too. So that saves space on the device drive itself.

I largely just use my phone for web browsing, email, phone calls and texting anyway.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Stock unbranded firmware for the international, G900F, model has 12GB free, (11,980.86MB), for internal storage on Marshmallow. Just thought I'd mention it. I'll get me coat! ;)

Heh. This guy.

What firmware are you using anyway? Reason I ask is because I know that you can flash G900F firmware onto a W8. It's the same unit, really, aside from the W8 modem. Is it the UK version you're using?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If, as can3gxw has done, you install DiskUsage, free from the Play Store, and select, "Storage card", (it is labelled that in spite of the fact it is internal memory), then under, "Storage card", it will show you how much free space you had after the OS was installed. That OS will include the carrier bloatware, etc; and disabling it will not gain you any more space as the phone has already been partitioned to accommodate it. The only thing disabling will do is to stop the app running and creating any files in the, "free", space. It seems that the OS on can3gxw's phone is about 1.5GB larger than mine. This, obviously, cuts down on the available space for storage on the phone, initially.

Heh. This guy.

What firmware are you using anyway? Reason I ask is because I know that you can flash G900F firmware onto a W8. It's the same unit, really, aside from the W8 modem. Is it the UK version you're using?

The nice thing about the G900F model is that there are about 200 firmwares, worldwide, to choose from. Having been on Marshmallow on my unbranded U.K. model, for about 3 months now. I decided that in lieu of a more recent update for the U.K., (which is imminent), I would flash the latest unbranded firmware release for the Netherlands, yesterday. This has an English language pack, (all Samsung firmwares, do), this poses no problem for me. It means I can hop from latest release worldwide, to the next latest release.

You could flash a U.K. firmware, or any other G900F firmware, and then root your phone and install a custom recovery. Then you would need to extract the modem from the Canadian model and turn it into a custom recovery flashable .zip file. The only caveat is that usually the modem needs to be compatible with the firmware platform... i.e. Marshmallow platform -> Marshmallow modem. This would be something for competent and experienced flashers.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Disk Usage says I have 8231mb free of 11839mb of total storge space. My apps are 2823mb. So, then, a little over 4000 mb of locked down space for the OS is being used, I suppose.

But, yeah, I'm not tinkering with flashing a W8 modem and whatnot to put 900F firmware on mine. I might tinker with it down the road, though, once I get another phone just to have something to tinker with. As you mention, that's more for the experienced end user. Which, admittedly, I'm not.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah - I'm looking closer at my DiskUsage now - I too show 11839 MB of total storage space - apps take up 5674 MB, System Data taking 816 MB leaving 5315 MB for me.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, so just your apps, then. Plus you have Marshmallow, too. I'm still using Lollipop. I don't know how much larger Marshmallow is than Lollipop. Likely not much. Anyway, let's go get our coats, too, man, Heh. :cool:

I wonder what the results would yield for the poor souls using Verizon and AT&T and other American (U.S.) models. Those things are likely loaded up to the max leaving very little space for the end user.

I'm really liking this W8 that I'm using here in the U.S. I think it has like 8 or 9 bands. I've got full bars and fast LTE at all times. Around 40mb DL speed consistently on the AT&T network.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The unbranded U.K. model, G900F, on Product Code BTU has received an update to Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow, and sports the Google Security patch for May.

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country United Kingdom
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 7182592
Build date Tue, 03 May 2016 08:36:02 +0000
Product code BTU
PDA G900FXXU1CPE1
CSC G900FOXA1CPE1

As per post #27, above...

Bearing in mind that the unbranded U.K. Galaxy S5 model, BTU, received a brief update to Marshmallow about 3 months ago. See, here. I would expect the Samsung R&D guys to maybe incorporate a May security patch, (if it is important enough), in the next release and get it out in the next 10 days or so.
;)

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The lightly branded U.K. model, G900F, for O2 on Product Code O2U has received an update to Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. This older build is still on the April security patch.

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country United Kingdom (O2)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 7182592
Build date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 06:40:19 +0000
Product code O2U
PDA G900FXXU1CPD3
CSC G900FO2U1CPD2

Releases also for the dual sim model, G900FD, for...

United Arab Emirates
Russia

Also for the Latin America models, G900M and G900MD, for...

Brazil

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
More Marshmallow releases for the global, G900F, model....

United Kingdom (Three)
United Arab Emirates
Egypt
Iraq
Saudi Arabia

Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan

Releases also for the Turkish model, G900FQ, for...

Turkey

Releases also for the Latin America model, G900M, for...

Panama
Chile
Uruguay
Bolivia
Argentina
Trinidad & Tobago

With only one, lightly, branded model above, we can see that being on stock Samsung, unbranded, firmware has its advantages... no carrier to hold things up! :D

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
More Marshmallow releases for the global, G900F, model....

France
Ireland (O2)
Morocco (MAT)
Kenya
Morocco (MWD)
Saudi Arabia (STC)
Malaysia

Caucaus Countries
Ukraine (Kyivstar)

Release for U.S. carrier branded, minority variant, model G900T...

USA (T-Mobile)

Release for U.S. carrier branded, minority variant, model G900T1...

USA (T-Mobile/Metro-PCS)

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Marshmallow on Fido Carrier for the Canadian variant SM-G900W8 is due out today per their schedule.

OS Upgrade

I'm crossing my fingers on this update just because I use my unlocked Canadian GS5 in the U.S. on AT&T network.

Hopefully it doesn't re-lock itself to Fido. It might.

I'm going to try to update via the Canadian version of Kies3. Ought to be a hoot.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys!

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought I saw something about a release for both Rogers & Fido, (RWC & FMC), being scheduled for the 25th May. That could have been U.K. time, I suppose. So it could be the 24th for you.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Fingers crossed from the Great White North for ya, sokem! :cool:

Hey, thanks, man. I hope it works out. I've backed everything up, drained my battery and charged it a few cycles, and i may factory reset the thing before updating.

Speaking of the Great White North, I have to get up there some day. It's pretty country from what I've seen on the web.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys!

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought I saw something about a release for both Rogers & Fido, (RWC & FMC), being scheduled for the 25th May. That could have been U.K. time, I suppose. So it could be the 24th for you.

Yeah, Rogers has the 25th on their OS update schedule. Actually just a few days ago Fido had the update listed as "Coming this Summer" so they've updated that date to the 24th in the last couple of days or so.

Will see, I suppose. I'm more anxious to see if the update re-locks my phone than I am about the update itself. I'm also curious if it'll have May's security patch.

After this update, I'm going to live with it for a year or so and I'm likely going to start saving my pennies for an International S8 if it has a removable battery.

Last edited: