Cannot play back any videos any more...

A

AC Question

For some reason, I cannot play any videos that are stored on my device any more, not even the ones I record myself with the device's camera.

VLC player also doesn't play the video, all I get is Audio and a black screen with a monitor icon on it. See link for screenshot.

lifress

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
No Video, Sound only in all Video Players

I've got a serious problem: Regardless what app I use to play a video (even VLC) , (even the videosI recorded myself with my phone), the video doesn't show any picture, instead i only hear sound and the screen goes black and shows this weird monitor icon (See attached).
I've tried clearing cache, rebooting, and about everything else I've read that people suggest. I've only seen 1 person so far with the same problem I have. Anyone know what to do, and how to resolve this?
Thanks.

2016_04_25_15.12.59.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Merged threads. It looks like it's trying to cast the screen to a TV or external monitor. Do you have any kind of screen casting/mirroring option turned on, or a 3rd party app that does so?

lifress

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, here is the funny part: I've tried the stock video player, VLC video player, and many more, and all of them show no picture, just play sound on videos.
But then I downloaded BSPlayerFree, and for some reason this player plays my videos perfectly with picture and sound. So I am not sure what the problem would be on the firmware or hardware side, since obviously videos can be played (just by another app).

Any ideas?

Matias A

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here, i can't play any of my videos with VLC or phone player, i only get that black screen and the audio of the video..
It's like we're "casting" but there isn't any option to do it, so, nope...
i only can play my videos normally with the apk 'Google photos'

heZoqZt.jpg

Matias A

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Hey, i found something here, i think the problem started with one app i installed which draw on top of the interface of one game, and that probably caused interference with the "output" of the video screen lol
I deleted cache and data of that app and videos works fine for me now. I tried using that app again and the problem came back, so that was my problem.
This is the permission who allows the app to draw on top
Try deleting the cache and data of every app which have that thing :)
And restart your device

14037775_1347869421894024_903130349_o.png

PD: Sry for my potato english haha

lifress

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! Yes, I have noticed, when I restart the device, and all Cache is empty, it works. But then after a while the problem comes back.
Which app is that in your case that causes the problem? The only app I have installed that I could imagine causing the issue would be the Screenshot App I have.

Thanks!

Matias A

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Is was GoIV, one app to see stats of pokemons in Pokemon GO, try uninstalling/deleting things of apps you downloaded one by one and watch if it works :D
I think that app auto restarts so the problem come back easily.
You're welcome! Glad we found something haha.

lifress

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Cool! Thanks for all the info. I've now updated my Android version to 6.0.1 (from 5.1.1 or so) and now, with the new Android version, this problem has not occurred yet (even when I use the Screenshot app). So I guess we'll see what happens, but at least I know what to do or where to look when it comes back ;)

Matias A

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Oh, nice! I still have 5.1.1 cuz my Galaxy J7 doesn't have the update for 6.0.1 yet :( Dang
In that version i was watching you have one option "Draw over other apps" to edit the overlay settings of the apps in your device :)