Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge error 'Samsung Keyboard has stopped'

Dragnz

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a quick workaround, you need to go to settings, apps, then look for Dictionary app and deactivate it. If the problem occurs again, just do the same.

This worked for me as well. Not sure why though. Don't understand why they are connected.

emssodo

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 as well and also had the update earlier this week and then started encountering the same error message about the Samsung keyboard stopped working. I tried clearing the app's data and cache and restarting several times without success. I also managed to get locked out of my phone while the keyboard was not working,and could not unlock my phone. After spending nearly 2 hours with Verizon customer service the only option was to grudgingly do a factory reset. Everything was ok for about 12 hours and now the error message is returning. This a warming to not to bother with factory reset as it did not work. I am hoping disabling the dictionary app as suggested worked. How do we get in touch with Samsung to alert them that this is a widespread problem? I feel like every time there is a system update, something major is affected.

emssodo

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
Disabling the dictionary app did not fix the problem. I was not able to disable the Samsung Keyboard app within the app as that option was grayed out. I wound up downloading the Package Disabler Pro from the Play store for $1.49 which enabled me to disable the Samsung Keyboard app. I then downloaded swiftkey because with the Samsung Keyboard app running I was not able to use emojis with the swype keyboard. I hope this helps someone else as I going through a factory reset to wind up in the same situation was not fun.

Sadooley

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
Having same issue. Error message every time press emoticon of samsung keyboard. Can bypass with swype keyboard but as soon as accidental press emoticon keyboard stops and error message. Can go and reset default. Tried factory reset. Tried clearing cache and data. Nothing works. Of course happened after software update. Anyone? please help

PatM13760

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
Samsung Tech Support:
I suggest not to use any third party apps, as they may trigger this issue.

Me:
I suggest that Samsung make a keyboard that is not awful.
Me:
This keyboard was the most frustrating and disappointing feature of this phone
Me:
the text suggestions provided and autocorrect made the typing a chore

Samsung Tech Support:
In this case, I can suggest you to contact the concern app developer team.

Patrick Lauver

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
Ok guys I've been messing with this problem for awhile now and I believe I have found a solution. I've had the same exact symptoms that everyone has posted here. I own a Samsung galaxy 6 and have SwiftKey enabled. Samsung keyboard continues to pop up with error message after I try to insert emoji into text.

Under same setting when you manually update phone you will find a update PRL license and update profile. Try to update each of those. This should fix your issue. I've now typed about 500 emojis through SwiftKey and have had no problems with Samsung keyboard error messages.

Cardiff Boy

Aug 28, 2017
Visit site
Here's my take on it. This started happening to me this morning on ,y Galaxy S6. I think I might have touched the emoji icon in Messages - I don't often use emojis but it was an appropriate response to a text I received.

The 'Samsung Keyboard has Stopped' message was flashing every 2-3 seconds whether I cleared it or not, making phone unusable for many purposes, including being unable to search settings, for example.

I tried the obvious: restarts, ensured swiftkey (my keyboard of choice) was the default - no improvement. Difficult to do any of this with the error message repeating at a fast rate. I tried to find 'Samsung Keyboard' in Apps, as recommended in a few forums, not there, even under 'all apps'. Then I found the 'show system apps' option. Tried "Force Stop". Tried "Clear Cache". Tried several other ideas of mine (like changing the Messages default app) or found in forums. Restarted after each change. No improvement. Then I saw the 'disable dictionary' post here.. I thought, that must be a random coincidence. Might as well try Praying to the rain god. But in desperation, I tried and yes, it stopped the error. Restarted Messages and found the horrible standard keyboard - but the phone worked and no errors. Even sending an emoji in a SMS worked.

I then reselected SwiftKey, and everything still works correctly. No idea what happens if I reinstate 'Dictionary' or indeed what it does - predictive text still seems to work fine without it. I don't intend to experiment further. Seems like an incompatibility between Android 7 and Samsung apps?

Many thanks to whoever found the Dictionary app as the underlying cause - and how did you do that? The power of Internet enabled crowds, I suppose.

horsegal118

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
I put off updating my phone (galaxy s6) for quite awhile...I hate updates because there always seems to be a new glitch somewhere. Anyways, I finally ran the update a day and a half ago. Phone seemed fine that evening and I could text (I have SwiftKey). Then the next day, midmorning, I got the same message all of you have been getting, "Samsung Keyboard has stopped working" midway through composing a text that continued to pop up whenever I went into an app that involved using the keyboard. It randomly resolved itself before I got out of class to start troubleshooting. Today, I got the error message again and it stuck around. I found this thread. It appears there are multiple ways to at least temporarily fix it. Someone on here suggested going to the keyboard settings and reselecting SwiftKey as the default. I tried that and then the problem was temporarily fixed, but as soon as I went to use emoji, the problem returned. I went to the keyboard settings again and found that Samsung keyboard had been switched back to default by itself. Next, I tried switching the default back to SwiftKey (like I did the first time), and in addition, I also went into the Samsung keyboard settings and reset the settings (even though Samsung isn't set as the default). This seemed to work, and I was able to use emojis in my text without it crashing. We will see if it works long term, but it seems to at least have temporarily solved the problem (and made me happy, because I do NOT want to do a factory reset if I don't have to).

So, in steps, this is what I did:

1. Settings> General Management> Language and Input> Default Keyboard> SwiftKey Keyboard
2. Language and Input> Virtual Keyboard> Samsung Keyboard> Reset Settings

Hopefully this helps someone.

horsegal118

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
Update: I had to go back and redo that process again this evening after getting the error message again; it seems to work for at least a period of time, but doesn't permanently fix the problem.

Arnaco

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Had the same error with sgs6 edge and SwiftKey , solved it by: go to setting / search for : virtual keyboard then choose samsung keyboard and go to rest settings. Now you see samsung keyboard, if you wish go back to SwiftKey keybord, go to SwiftKey app and choose SwiftKey as default keyboard, works OK for me.

AnnieLobeseder

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion to disable Dictionary! I've been having the same issue as everyone else. I deactivated Samsung keyboard but still kept getting the error messages with frustrating regularity, then had to go though an exhausting series of steps and restarts to get Swiftkey up and running again. I've just tried deactivating Dictionary and the error messages I've had all morning have gone now. Let's hope it's permanent!

James Stocker

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Re: msung Galaxy S6 Edge error 'Samsung Keyboard has stopped'

Hi, I'm getting desperate and I would be really grateful for some help. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and today received a prompt to update the system software (Android 7.0 installed) which I duly did and all seemed to work fine afterwards. I tried to send a text a few hours later and found I kept on getting an error message which said ' Samsung Keyboard has stopped'. I couldn't input into the phone at all and worse still the screen lock was in use and so I couldn't input the password to release it. Fortunately I had a Samsung account and managed to unlock the phone remotely but the device is virtually unusable because I can't type into it.

I had a look at the keyboards available on the phone. I have Swiftkey loaded and enabled as well as Google Voice to Text. The Samsung keyboard is there but is greyed out. I am unable to use the Swiftkey keyboard because the ' Samsung Keyboard has stopped' error message keeps coming up and the SwiftKey keyboard won’t work. Google Voice to Text seems to be working OK. It all seems one very big coincidence that I had updated the phone earlier today and now this has happened. I have never had a problem with the phone up until now.

I thought of doing a factory reset as a last resort and although this is a pain in the rear end, it is not the end of the world as I have most of my data and settings backed up on either Samsung or Google but I can't even seem to do that. If you go through the various menus on the phone to do a factory reset you get asked for a password and I can't type the password in even though I know what it is.

I saw on the forums some instructions about powering the phone down and then depressing the power on button half way up on the right hand edge on the phone at the same time as depressing the + and - volume buttons towards the top left hand edge of the screen. It then said to release the buttons as soon as the 'Samsung' logo appeared and that this would show an Android menu. This didn't happen for me and the phone just went to its standard screen. I guess I must have done something wrong but I don't know what.

I even thought of trying to reinstall the update that I installed this morning but doing this for an Android phone is a completely different thing for me than doing the same thing for (say) a faulty app on a Windows laptop.

I really like the phone and don't want to have to buy a replacement but I am rapidly beginning to think that this is the only way forward. However I don't want to have to pay out that sort of money.

If anyone out there can help me then I would be eternally grateful. I can't believe that I am the only one experiencing this following this recent software update. I can’t help thinking that the update has corrupted in some way but whatever the end result is I can’t type into the phone. Thanks in anticipation.

Mickgee

I got the same thing I figured how to unlock mine I pressed emergency call then back several times a keyboard icon pops up the click on that hit swipe mode

BadGirl78

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Aup I have that same problems with the emoji's option stops my keyboard all the time and I don't even use the Samsung keyboard. I use the google keyboard. I have figured that just don't press the smilee face.... Lol

JohnMcL7

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
My Mum's phone started doing this after an update, I found a solution on XDA which appears to have worked:

Apps->Settings->Language and Input->Virtual Keyboard-.>Samsung Keyboard->About Samsung Keyboard (at bottom)->. You should see an update button, press that and it should then download and install an update after which the errors stopped.

Putykat4

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I have been having the same issue with my Samsung 6 Edge+ with any keyboard app, once you touch the emoji that is not in the keyboard, it reverts to the samsung keyboard. Annoying to the max.
What i do is go to the app list and click on swype and install it again and again and again and again. When is Samsung going to fix this issue?

btt1725

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I have found a fix but it might come back and you'll have to do it again but if you hold your power button to power your phone off the bottom choice is emergency mode and click on and enable and then close out screen and then go back in and do the same thing but disabled emergency mode and you should have your keyboard back

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo