S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

All people want is an option from Samsung with the features that they want: a removable battery and a micro SD card slot. That way they can stay in the Samsung family ("Be together") with something different ("Not the same").

You have that option in the S5, Note 4, and Note Edge.

from the Note Edge📱📏

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The expandable storage and swappable battery ship has sailed. Just as these users can choose another device, Samsung is responding to growing calls for design choice changes and to recover it's lost market share so that it again casts a long shadow over the competition.

QHD display with 577 ppi that draws less power with multiple adjustment options.

More powerful and energy efficient 64 bit chipset.

3GB of DDR4 RAM versus DDR3.

Base storage options starting at 32GB instead of 16GB.

Auto HD/OIS with better low light performance as well as an IR sensor. More streamlined menus.

Less Samsung bloatware.

Introduction of theme options.

Rapid charging as well as dual wireless charging.

NFC/MST mobile payment options.

Better fingerprint scanner.

IR blaster to use your phone as a remote control.

Premium build materials like Gorilla Glass 4 and metal frame versus faux metal bands and plastic.

Repositioned external speaker with better base response.

More lock screen options.

Quick access to the camera with improved FFC and RFC.

Slimmed down TouchWiz with a more unified approach and organization.

Yup. I can see what a huge tragedy and travesty that Samsung is perpetrating in a deliberate effort to alienate the expandable storage and swappable battery crowd. Point is get a different device that meets your needs or at the very least, wait until production units have been reviewed and you try it for yourself in the store to validate the offering of the GS6. There will never be a device that makes everyone happy. Everyone has different needs and expectations that deserve more information before passing judgement on a device that won't be available until next month.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The people that have been clamouring for a premium design aren't the same people that value a replaceable battery and upgradeable storage. These are two separate distinct groups. They were able to do a premium device in the Note 4 without selling out.

Posted via the Android Central App

The amount of people who don't mind the "loss" of SD and removable batteries is miniscule compared to those that care.

Look at it this way. Samsung makes SD cards. One would think it would be in their best interest for their flagship phones to have memory card slots so they could sell more cards.

But Samsung has data that says the SD card slots are hardly used so when designing the S6, they went with a clean design without being "hampered" by the need to put an SD card slot on the device.

Perspective.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is why it's important for people who are unhappy to express themselves (politely, of course).

I like your reference to Google's slogan. Be together. Not the same.

No one is saying Samsung's design of the S6 should be thrown out. Let people buy it if they want.

All people want is an option from Samsung with the features that they want: a removable battery and a micro SD card slot. That way they can stay in the Samsung family ("Be together") with something different ("Not the same").

Need a current Samsung with SD card slot and removable battery? Samsung will gladly sell you a Note 4.

Be together. Not the same.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Need a current Samsung with SD card slot and removable battery? Samsung will gladly sell you a Note 4.

Be together. Not the same.

So, you're saying Samsung is fine with removable storage and removable batteries.

For people who would prefer a smaller phone than the Note 4, they'll just let Samsung know by speaking up.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The definition of insanity is trying or saying the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result. The reality is that the expandable storage and swappable battery are two design choices based upon what we have seen that are set and will not cause the manufacturing process to stop just to accommodate a shrinking market segment that wants these features. Cloud storage and external hard drives as well as increased base model storage options with 32GB being the low end make this less of an issue. If Samsung had strong reason to believe that these design choices should be retained, they might have survived in the GS6.

Choices are as follows :

Accept the current design changes and buy the GS6.

Buy another device that has these design elements.

Wait and hope for them in the GS7.

No matter how times you post, Samsung has enough research and business savvy that led them to make these design choices. They are responding to an obvious growing desire for improved materials, features, performance and functionality as well as recovering recently lost market share.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So the S6 looks great and all. I've read most of the articles related to it and the S5 (and S5 Active). I have to wonder why Android Central praises this device so much since it seems to be going the way of Apple (meaning I'm not buying). Android Central was way into the water resistance of models during the 2014 year. There is also the Samsung ads from within the previous year's time that they harped about having a removable battery and the MicroSD cards could be swapped in and out. Why on earth are they chasing the rotten Apple? Do they wish to be the worm? They will simply lose. I have a S4 from At&t. I have no found no reason to upgrade my phone yet for a better one. I'd much rather stay with Samsung but this heap is pointless. There was much bellyaching about water and toilet drops before the S6 and now nothing of the sort. I guess Android Central and its writers are as easily dazzled by the next shiny object that comes along. Perhaps instead of comparing Apple crap, since it is all high mighty, compare the real world benefits (when you get your actual hands on a device that is yours) vs. the S5 (S5 Active too).

Blah blah blah. Have fun with your S4. The rest of us will be in the future waiting for ya.....

Rikate

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
FYI Samsung learned from the best in the business and the Chinese have caught on to the whole parodying each others phones until they get it right.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
all media, AC included, have been bashing sammi for plastic design for years, I bet they feel at least somewhat obligated to validate their own critic by showering praises now sammi complies.

There you have it, its a wonderful loop, they demanded it, they get it, and they praise it to prove they were right all along! :D

Paintermask

Banned
Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
"Different folks, different strokes". So, yeah there maybe complaints here and there but I trust that Sammy knew better. I see a bold Sammy here, unafraid to take the next step to be the "in" thing of this generation. We just have to keep moving forward and accept change or if change is difficult to accept, then we just have to grow with it. It ain't good to go sailing against the tide, if y'all know what I'm saying.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
At least Samsung is giving you 32GB standard which for most people is more than enough space.
All phones have compromises, you just gotta find one you can live with.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
So the S6 looks great and all. I've read most of the articles related to it and the S5 (and S5 Active). I have to wonder why Android Central praises this device so much since it seems to be going the way of Apple (meaning I'm not buying). Android Central was way into the water resistance of models during the 2014 year. There is also the Samsung ads from within the previous year's time that they harped about having a removable battery and the MicroSD cards could be swapped in and out. Why on earth are they chasing the rotten Apple? Do they wish to be the worm? They will simply lose. I have a S4 from At&t. I have no found no reason to upgrade my phone yet for a better one. I'd much rather stay with Samsung but this heap is pointless. There was much bellyaching about water and toilet drops before the S6 and now nothing of the sort. I guess Android Central and its writers are as easily dazzled by the next shiny object that comes along. Perhaps instead of comparing Apple crap, since it is all high mighty, compare the real world benefits (when you get your actual hands on a device that is yours) vs. the S5 (S5 Active too).

If you s4 is working fine why would you even want to upgrade ?

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

Bottom line is the number of people who complained about their cheap plastic design FAR outnumbered those who want/need a SD card or removable battery. With Apple and HTC making beautifully crafted devices Samsung had to keep up. Samsung made the right choice in that regard. Makes no sense to keep complaining about it. The Note 4 or S5 are still available for ppl who need those features.
I will complain if I can't afford to buy one while everyone else is having one, if you know what I meant :)

Can't wait for it!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, for some reason, the more I think about the S6/Edge the more satisfied I am with what I already have.

♻from the Note III🍶

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has their own opinion, and if removable batteries and SD support is what you need, then as many have said here, there are other options for you - and great options at that! I've had numerous phones with removable batteries and SD support and my experience with it is this - 1) the removable battery is nice, but I RARELY, if ever, swapped the battery and it really only served for peace of mind if the battery somehow went bad; and 2) I've had more than one SD card go corrupt causing me to spend many an hour deleting files that were so corrupt that they would lock up my computer when I tried to open them, I was forced to splice together some videos to remove the corrupt part (including one of us singing to my daughter on her first birthday), and lost numerous pictures of family events thanks to the SD card going rogue on me. I've had less issue with non-removable storage, in my experience (mostly Nexus/Moto devices and iOS devices).

I'm not saying that these things don't have some utility in the tech world, but c'mon, are you trying to tell me that a bunch of us on here have more experience in this sort of thing than Samsung? Hell no. I'm sure they did their research, and the average consumer doesn't need the swappable battery or SD card. I know my wife won't care as long as she has enough storage on her new S6. And she's probably in the majority group - which is what Samsung is targeting. People here are really the tech minority, whether we want to admit it or not. I'm perfectly content, and actually ecstatic at the idea of picking up an S6 or S6 Edge and can't wait for this to be my next phone.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Na, I think the whole removables thing is making me appreciate that I can remove the battery and replace it or use an SD card if I wish.

♻from the Note III🍶

Understandable. I have the S5 now and those are features I like to have, but can live without. And no, I don't like the idea of paying more for internal storage. Being an enthusiast is getting a lot more expensive.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The changes for the S6 have made me very confident i'll be getting an S6 or S6 Edge this year…if you asked me a month ago, Samsung was at the bottom of my list. Looks like they sold me.