gs5 to gs6 ? is it worth it?

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@Jdroids
Well I guess that's nice that the screen uses less power ,I have other reasons to pass the s6 (check the above replies I made if you want to know why)

Posted via my Galaxy S5

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Nobody can answer this question for you. Everyone has different needs. Every time a newer phone is released you'll get the same should I upgrade questions. Well if the upgrades are enough for you then do it, if not don't. what else do you need to hear???

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
@gekko that's what I'm planning to do because I went to a retailer and I'll need 500€ for 64gig option which is to much I got my gs5 for 750€ with a 64gb SD card! Its just to much to pay , I might skip the gs7 and go for a note6

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Stopped by a local store today & was impressed with both the screen, build materials & general layout. Freaking thing was awesome!
That said, am curious what the specs will actually be on the S6 Active coming this summer. Have heard larger battery & a few others things.
So am going to wait to see it. If that does not do the trick, am pretty sure Samsung will keep coming out with a latest & greatest.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
scuba_steve , I did as you did and weighed up the pros and cons of the S6 and decided on the Note 4 which I have had for about ten days and am loving it.

It will be interesting to see what Samsung does with its phones for next year. If they lean too much towards the Apple impersonation then I will have to go for a Sony or HTC.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Once someone roots the S6, it will be worth it for me. I upgraded from the S3 to the S5 a year or so ago, and the one BIG issue I have is storage. I'm often outside network areas so I've got a 64GB card full of music... no access to the cloud in those places, so this is important to me. My S3 had 32GB internal space, for a total of 96. My S5 has 16 fewer, and I'm constantly running into space issues. A 128GB S6 will get rid of that headache.

But rooting is important since it lets me get rid of bloat AND never have to see an ad in apps or my browser.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
@BR34KF4ST I was thinking like that about the battery life , I'm happy to hear that ,that is how it is ,people suggested the processor uses less battery but yeah a qhd display with less mah was the worst thing rather than microSD/ip67/removable battery

Posted via my Galaxy S5

To be honest after the lollipop update and even after factory wipe my s5 got about 15 hours under good circumstances (wifi) with 3 to 4 hours of on screen time. In the last 72 hours that I've had the s6 edge I'm averaging about 14 hours under the same circumstances with 4 hours of on screen time.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I considered to sell my gs5 for gs6 but I'm confused because I love the battery life on my gs5 (how is the battery life on gs6?) I'm willing to sacrifice IP 67 for the looks but not sure of the battery and SD card and if i do decide to buy ,..is it going to be worth selling my phone then paying 400€ ($425) extra to get the GS6 ? Whats your opinion?

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Posted via my Galaxy S5

I cannot put into words how much that it's worth it.

Posted via the Android Central App

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@Jermaine gray after lollipop update I got 5 hours of screen on time on my s5 with mixed usage

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
@Jermaine gray after lollipop update I got 5 hours of screen on time on my s5 with mixed usage

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Check this out my friend. I just did 5hrs sot with the s6, and still 26% battery. It seems the battery is getting better with each charge.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 188.jpg
    188.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 82

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
@cobravision I have like 15-20 games and I dont know what you are talking about never experienced it,..... :) ,

Posted via my Galaxy S5

I never had the issue Cobra spoke of on the S5 but it definitely haunted my friend and I on the Note 2.

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, you're in an S6 forum, so you may not get the most objective responses. ;)

I think it really comes down to how much you value the S6's new features over what you will give up...plus the added expense. No doubt, the S6 has some FANTASTIC features, including:

• Enhanced screen resolution/quality
  • Faster-launching and enhanced front and rear cameras
  • Reworked fingerprint sensor
  • Faster, more battery-efficient 64 bit processor
  • Faster memory
  • Repositioned speaker
  • Light and thin
  • Built-in wireless charging

No doubt, those features rock...and are fairly compelling.

Unfortunately, they were not worth the tradeoff for me based on my own priorities.

For years, reviewers have complained about cheap-quality build materials. Frankly, I am not sure I have ever heard a friend or family member make the same complaint. The old plastic back Samsungs are rugged and comfortable to hold. I also never found them that thick. Nevertheless, reviewers complaining constantly and Apple's focus on material design pushed Samsung toward this new design, which I just don't like. My complaints, which admittedly, may be unique to me:

• I don't find the phone comfortable to hold - the metal edge and slick flat back result in a phone that is nowhere near as comfortable for me to hold as my S3
  • I can't stand the glass back. It's yet another sheet of glass that can shatter and serves no purpose other than eye candy. It's also a fingerprint magnet.
  • If you need to put it in a case to protect the glass back, then you've just made a sexy thin phone bulkier.
  • While the fast memory is VERY nice, I prefer SD cards for numerous reasons, including the fact that I can increase the memory over time as SD card prices come down and I can travel with more than one SD card. Yeah, there's the cloud. I get it. But it's not always available where I am.
  • The non-replaceable battery sucks. I have been using smart phones since the days of the Treo and always end up replacing the battery about once a year. It's inexpensive to do so after the phone has been out for awhile. How's that S6 battery going to be treating you after a year...or two years? I hang on to my phones at least that long. My S3 is coming up on 3 years-old.
  • The current reports of battery life do not look good and match what I experienced when I used an S6 for 30 minutes. Granted, battery life may get better with software updates.

No doubt, it is a FANTASTIC phone, but it is far from perfect, regardless of all the hyperbole.

Thus, I ordered a Note 4 on Wednesday. It's also far from perfect, but the battery life and the fact that the battery is replaceable sealed the deal for me. Of course, it's huge and nowhere near as sexy as an S6. ;)

I just got a Note 4 yesterday. It's the best, you won't regret it.

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just went to the S6 from the S5.

Partly because of the geek in me, I love the new tech. Didn't really need to upgrade, just for fun.

A few things I've noticed:

S6 is much thinner (I had the OEM wireless charging back on the S5). Easier to use with 1 hand.

S6 is faster. Noticeably so.

Fingerprint sensor works much better on the S6.

Battery seems about the same or slightly better on the S6, though it's too early to tell for sure.

I have a lipstick size external battery if I ever need it. Also got a flash drive with micro-USB that plugs into the phone that I can use for backups, etc. Long term battery doesn't worry me, as I will likely update to the next flagship phone in a year or so.

I will be selling my old S5 to gazelle for ~$180, which takes away some of the ouch factor.

Overall, well worth it for me, but YMMV.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just went to the S6 from the S5.

Partly because of the geek in me, I love the new tech. Didn't really need to upgrade, just for fun.

A few things I've noticed:

S6 is much thinner (I had the OEM wireless charging back on the S5). Easier to use with 1 hand.

S6 is faster. Noticeably so.

Fingerprint sensor works much better on the S6.

Battery seems about the same or slightly better on the S6, though it's too early to tell for sure.

I have a lipstick size external battery if I ever need it. Also got a flash drive with micro-USB that plugs into the phone that I can use for backups, etc. Long term battery doesn't worry me, as I will likely update to the next flagship phone in a year or so.

I will be selling my old S5 to gazelle for ~$180, which takes away some of the ouch factor.

Overall, well worth it for me, but YMMV.

Your selling your S5 for $180? I'm certain you can get double that in most markets.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Even though I passed on the GS5' it would be a safe bet to go with the GS6.

I got the 64 GB GS6 and I still have more than 50 GB free after the software already loaded, disabling apps and downloading apps that I am currently using. I will probably uninstall some of the games as I have had them on my phone for my son who has graduated to COD AW and no longer plays games on his phone. 32 GB would have left around 18-19 GB free.

Only got my device yesterday and have not had a chance to test the battery but on AT&T , there have been owners looking at least 17 hours plus from the time off charger to the next charge. more than enough to get through a full day.

QHD display that is more energy efficient than GS5 display. More color accurate temps.
3GB DDR4 RAM with. UFS 2.0 storage. 64 bit Exynos processor vs less RAM and a slower processor. GS6 processor more energy efficient.
Dual wireless charging standards built in as well as NFC and MST mobile payment.
Lollipop vs KitKat. Slimmed down TouchWiz and less bloat on the GS6.
More,premium feel with the glass and aluminum than the faux metal plastic on the GS5.
Speaker grill placement on back is louder and clearer.
Lifeproof Frè case makes up for the IP67 features.

These are just some things to consider. Only you can decide by going into a store and trying them out for yourself. As a newly minted GS6 owner, I have been pretty pleased with decision to upgrade from the GS4 on AT&T. It is lightning fast and smooth with no hint thus far of any detectable lag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty