Will wireless charging work with a otterbox?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Speck Candyshell case and wireless charging works. I'm not 100% sure on Otterbox, but Otterbox's site says it won't. That could just be a CYA for them, but hopefully someone with that case can chime in soon.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if it's slower through a fat case like the Defender?

We will soon. I am getting ready hopefully to try it with the Defender case that I ordered on the OEM charging pad that I got with my. Best Buy preorder. You would expect it to be slower but if you are charging overnight, it shouldn't be a noticeable difference.

bricenm

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Got my VZW S6 and Otterbox Commuter case over the weekend to replace my BlackBerry Z30 and took it to the office today where I have a Tylt Vu wireless charger. Wireless charging worked fine. The only caveat (and it's not much of an issue) is with the Tylt Vu charger, charging only works when you place the S6 on the charger stand in landscape orientation. It won't charge in portrait, I guess because of the location of the battery or charging connectors or whatever. I don't consider this an issue as the Tylt Vu is designed for landscape or portrait orientation. But definitely, wireless charging worked with the Otterbox Commuter case.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
We will soon. I am getting ready hopefully to try it with the Defender case that I ordered on the OEM charging pad that I got with my. Best Buy preorder. You would expect it to be slower but if you are charging overnight, it shouldn't be a noticeable difference.

It works great with the Defender on the OEM charging pad. Check out my YouTube video review.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Commuter here and working. I can be a little touchy though. One time it started beeping one connect and disconnect while standing still.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ddurishan

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Note 5, an OtterBox Defender, and the Samsung OEM Fast Charger (circular in shape, if that has any bearing.)

The wireless charger would NOT work with the Defender case, and I brought this to both Verizon Wireless (from whom I purchased both the case and the wireless charger) and to OtterBox's attention. I was forced to charge the standard/direct connection way, which upset me because of the price I paid for the wireless charger- and, the Verizon Wireless rep assured me that the charger would work with the OtterBox Defender case.

When connected, the blue light on the wireless charger would begin to flash after about 30 seconds, indicating that it was not charging the phone.

Some have suggested that I should remove the OtterBox's rubber protective casing. There are two problems with that. One is that- it still won't charge even if I remove the rubber case. The second is- even if it would charge, it is very difficult to use the phone's buttons without the rubber case on.

At the suggestion of someone on a related forum, I, too, purchased USB micro USB charging cables from Anker (via Amazon)- the PowerLine+ model. I am pleased to report that the wireless charger is working properly now with the OtterBox Defender and rubber casing.

RICKKOM

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
My new S7 Galaxy with a defender case will not work on the standard cradle charger provided by Samsung. Is there a certain way to make this work?
Thanks
Regards
Rick Komraus

Jared Bayer

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Well, I think that there maybe a case where I would have to disagree with you regarding the outterbox. I had to take the phone out of the outterbox case because I think there is a gap issue when it comes in contact with a case. My wireless charger and phone will go into a pause mode, I think the case has something to do with it.

Nick Miltier

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
It's can work through an otterbox, but it's touchy. I've been trying my S7 with my defender case for a month. Sometimes it charges perfectly, most times the phone heats up tremendously, one time it started to sound some weird overheating alarm that wouldn't stop until I rebooted the phone. Most times, though, it starts to charge, then somewhere in the middle it quits. I took the case off and put my phone on the charger and now it charges just fine. Only reason I wanted the wireless charger was because the defender case has that rubber plug over the usb port. Now I'm thinking of taking the charger back and just cutting that rubber tab off the case.

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Okay so I have experienced as well as a close friend of mine the wireless charging problem and the Otterbox Dender case on our S8 Plus phones. New black cicular charger by Samsung. I have found a solution to the problem after troubleshooting this for 2 days. My friend could not get theirs to connect to the charger and I never had a problem. Very simple solution that may not work for everyone but none the less it works perfect every time and stays connected.

My friend was trying to charge theirs in a vertical position and it would disconnect within seconds. I never even thought about it till I finally asked them how they were positioning their phone for charging. I always turned my phone horizontal and centered it on the charger. Never failed to connect and stay connected. But the first several attempts to put my theory to test was a disconnect within secs in the vertical position. As soon as I went horizontal again it never failed to connect and stay connected.

So it will work with the Defender 100% of the time as long as the phone is horizontal on the pad. The combination of the case plus the added size of the Plus phone makes it hard to use in a vertical position. The closer the center of your phone is to the center of the pad gives a much better connection. Thanks!