06-13-2015 12:08 PM
49 12
tools
    Coming from a Moto X 2013 I find the speaker to be just fine. More than happy with it.
    04-11-2015 06:40 AM
    If you want to listen to loud music you would either use headphones or a Bluetooth speaker. Nobody who wants to listen to loud music would use the phones speakers.
    Inders99 likes this.
    04-11-2015 06:46 AM
    Any of us coming from an M7/M8 has probably been spoiled as far as built-in phone speakers. That said, I haven't been near as disappointed with the S6 speaker as much as I expected to be. Thus far I've found it does well enough for my needs.
    04-11-2015 01:26 PM
    If you want to listen to loud music you would either use headphones or a Bluetooth speaker. Nobody who wants to listen to loud music would use the phones speakers.
    For watching YouTube it's not the best
    04-11-2015 08:45 PM
    Yeah have to agree that the external speaker is bad. Really bad. It's especially jarring coming from a One M8 which has (or at least had before the M9) the awesome speakers. Once you increase the volume of the loudspeaker over 70%, it gets distorted, grainy and just bad overall.

I guess no more speakerphone for me. It gets loud enough, just the quality of it is really quite poor.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    04-11-2015 09:55 PM
    It doesn't sound bad. Better than any rear facing speaker. Only HTC owners will hate it. Everyone else is exaggerating making it sound like it's the worst ever. Not true.

Posted via the Android Central App
    20blks likes this.
    04-11-2015 10:42 PM
    Definitely an average sound from the speaker. Though I rarely listen to music from a phone unless it's through earphones.
    04-11-2015 11:05 PM
    The speaker quality is definitely better than the S5. It has more bass than my Xperia Z3, although the Z3 had dual speakers. Its not as loud as my Z3 though, but I think the speaker quality sounds pretty good for a mobile phone, especially considering how much bass it has

The headphone quality though is amazing!
    04-11-2015 11:13 PM
    It doesn't sound bad. Better than any rear facing speaker. Only HTC owners will hate it. Everyone else is exaggerating making it sound like it's the worst ever. Not true.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yeah I'm coming from a HTC One M8, so that was one of the things that kind of surprised me, how far away it is from the One.

The S6 speaker doesn't sound too bad at lower volumes, but at higher volumes it distorts heavily, the the point it just sounds bad to me. But as you said I think people coming from non-HTC phones wouldn't have an issue.

The headphone quality though is amazing!
    Hmm even the headphone quality I'm not particularly fond of. Again the One M8 sounds louder and clearer at higher levels.

The S6 definitely sounds better from headphones than from the loudspeaker though.

04-11-2015 11:41 PM
    Hmm even the headphone quality I'm not particularly fond of. Again the One M8 sounds louder and clearer at higher levels.

The S6 definitely sounds better from headphones than from the loudspeaker though.

Compared to the Z3, the headphones are definitely louder and have more bass
    The S6 kind of has a bit too much bass (which is why the M8 probably sounds cleaner), but its not bad to make the sound quality bad
    I Can Be Your Hero likes this.
    04-11-2015 11:44 PM
    Compared to the Z3, the headphones are definitely louder and have more bass
    The S6 kind of has a bit too much bass (which is why the M8 probably sounds cleaner), but its not bad to make the sound quality bad
    I see. Never owned the Z3 so can't compare. But on the sound side of things, I think HTC has that covered for both speaker and headphone.
    04-12-2015 02:48 AM
    How about the speaker phone? I personally had issues with my old GS5 speaker phone...the sound coming out and people not hearing me clearly. (Maybe it was just mine, but I know I was very disappointed.)

But as far as the speaker performance, how about comparing it to an iPhone 6/6+ speaker?
    04-12-2015 06:07 AM
    Yeah have to agree that the external speaker is bad. Really bad. It's especially jarring coming from a One M8 which has (or at least had before the M9) the awesome speakers. Once you increase the volume of the loudspeaker over 70%, it gets distorted, grainy and just bad overall.

I guess no more speakerphone for me. It gets loud enough, just the quality of it is really quite poor.

Yup
    04-12-2015 11:13 AM
    It sounds like a mixer board sound affect is added to whatever is coming out of the speaker .
    It's louder and in a better spot than the s5 it just sounds funny.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    04-12-2015 04:55 PM
    The ones I tried at BB didn't have to much distortion, but I still think they should have been a bit better quality sounding. A flagship device should have a decent speaker, period. Cheaping out on speaker quality just cheapens the whole device experience for me. Should have mine tomorrow.
    04-13-2015 12:09 PM
    I visited an AT&T store last week to touch and feel the M9 and the S6. Wanting to hear the quality of the M9 in particular, I opened up youtube and what do you know, the first thing that pops up is a music video for "all about that bass". I listened for about 10 seconds then went over the S6 and did the same thing.

The M9 sounded irritatingly tinny. The S6 produced a much better sound, but was completely silenced when placing a finger over the speaker grill. I know there are different audio modes for the M9, but I failed to check what it was set to. I was kinda shocked given the reviews here on the M9. Anyway, I mention that only to say; I think the S6 audio is good for a phone, though I'll never listen to music through that speaker.
    04-13-2015 12:33 PM
    I hope thats not true. They moved the speaker grill from the back to the bottom. I was hoping for better sound
    04-13-2015 12:36 PM
    Agree it isn't a speaker to be listening to music thru. I'm surprised the M9 didn't perform better for you. My desire for a good external speaker is more for calls, navigation directions and other voice uses not music. Samsungs speaker is always an after thought not much of a consideration.
    04-13-2015 12:39 PM
    Agree it isn't a speaker to be listening to music thru. I'm surprised the M9 didn't perform better for you. My desire for a good external speaker is more for calls, navigation directions and other voice uses not music. Samsungs speaker is always an after thought not much of a consideration.
    The Note 2 had a fantastic speaker. And to be honest, so does the S6. It's the best single-speaker phone I have heard. It's loud and has a warmer tonal quality. The only thing I notice, is the speaker sounds a bit strangled, as if the soundwaves/air can't pass through the small amount of holes in the grill. I think they needed to make the holes bigger for the speaker output or put more holes for the grill.
    06-12-2015 09:04 PM
    The Note 2 had a fantastic speaker. And to be honest, so does the S6. It's the best single-speaker phone I have heard. It's loud and has a warmer tonal quality. The only thing I notice, is the speaker sounds a bit strangled, as if the soundwaves/air can't pass through the small amount of holes in the grill. I think they needed to make the holes bigger for the speaker output or put more holes for the grill.
    The speaker is much better than I had first thought. I listen to Pandora thru it a lot. Overall I am very pleased with the S6.
    06-13-2015 11:13 AM
    The speaker is much better than I had first thought. I listen to Pandora thru it a lot. Overall I am very pleased with the S6.
    Would an update help the external speaker sound quality?
    06-13-2015 11:21 AM
    Would an update help the external speaker sound quality?
    I don't see how. The speaker just is what it is. I don't see how a software update would help it. its not that bad though. considering its only one speaker it actually sounds decent. I've certainly had a lot worse.
    06-13-2015 11:59 AM
    I don't see how. The speaker just is what it is. I don't see how a software update would help it. its not that bad though. considering its only one speaker it actually sounds decent. I've certainly had a lot worse.
    Cool beans. I thought maybe a tweak to how much power or the ability to manage the sound quality. I am in the camp that uses earbuds as I spend a majority of my days and the week in the office.
    06-13-2015 12:06 PM
    Yeah I'm coming from a HTC One M8, so that was one of the things that kind of surprised me, how far away it is from the One.

The S6 speaker doesn't sound too bad at lower volumes, but at higher volumes it distorts heavily, the the point it just sounds bad to me. But as you said I think people coming from non-HTC phones wouldn't have an issue.

I just turned the volume up on my S6 edge and played 3 different songs, no distortion here, was pretty clear sounding to me. Though I tend to listen to Cajun music and country and regular rock music.
    06-13-2015 12:08 PM
49 12