Galaxy S6: External Speaker Quality

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Speakers aren't the worst but not the best. Especially coming from an M8. It's not horrible to me though

Posted via the Android Central App

Microsoft1080

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
This is the best speaker I have ever heard on a phone with non front facing or dual speakers. I don't get distortion when the volume is high but it could be the type of music I listen to. Definitely the best sounding in my opinion if you forget about any dual speaker phones. Beats the G3, Icon, and the phones before that I've used. Does not beat the Z3 though but again those are dual speakers and the best ones I've used.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I find the speaker to be significantly better than the rear mounted speaker on the S5. Now admittedly that's not a huge accomplishment as this was never a strength of the S5. But Id say it's quite satisfactory for speakerphone conversations and the occasional youtube video. Any serious music listening Would, of necessity, be done using headphones or a linked Bluetooth speaker, of course. I'd give the speaker a 7/10 rating.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
If you want to listen to loud music you would either use headphones or a Bluetooth speaker. Nobody who wants to listen to loud music would use the phones speakers.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Any of us coming from an M7/M8 has probably been spoiled as far as built-in phone speakers. That said, I haven't been near as disappointed with the S6 speaker as much as I expected to be. Thus far I've found it does well enough for my needs.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah have to agree that the external speaker is bad. Really bad. It's especially jarring coming from a One M8 which has (or at least had before the M9) the awesome speakers. Once you increase the volume of the loudspeaker over 70%, it gets distorted, grainy and just bad overall.

I guess no more speakerphone for me. It gets loud enough, just the quality of it is really quite poor.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't sound bad. Better than any rear facing speaker. Only HTC owners will hate it. Everyone else is exaggerating making it sound like it's the worst ever. Not true.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Definitely an average sound from the speaker. Though I rarely listen to music from a phone unless it's through earphones.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The speaker quality is definitely better than the S5. It has more bass than my Xperia Z3, although the Z3 had dual speakers. Its not as loud as my Z3 though, but I think the speaker quality sounds pretty good for a mobile phone, especially considering how much bass it has

The headphone quality though is amazing!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sound bad. Better than any rear facing speaker. Only HTC owners will hate it. Everyone else is exaggerating making it sound like it's the worst ever. Not true.

Yeah I'm coming from a HTC One M8, so that was one of the things that kind of surprised me, how far away it is from the One.

The S6 speaker doesn't sound too bad at lower volumes, but at higher volumes it distorts heavily, the the point it just sounds bad to me. But as you said I think people coming from non-HTC phones wouldn't have an issue.

The headphone quality though is amazing!

Hmm even the headphone quality I'm not particularly fond of. Again the One M8 sounds louder and clearer at higher levels.

The S6 definitely sounds better from headphones than from the loudspeaker though.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmm even the headphone quality I'm not particularly fond of. Again the One M8 sounds louder and clearer at higher levels.

The S6 definitely sounds better from headphones than from the loudspeaker though.

Compared to the Z3, the headphones are definitely louder and have more bass
The S6 kind of has a bit too much bass (which is why the M8 probably sounds cleaner), but its not bad to make the sound quality bad

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Compared to the Z3, the headphones are definitely louder and have more bass
The S6 kind of has a bit too much bass (which is why the M8 probably sounds cleaner), but its not bad to make the sound quality bad

I see. Never owned the Z3 so can't compare. But on the sound side of things, I think HTC has that covered for both speaker and headphone.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
How about the speaker phone? I personally had issues with my old GS5 speaker phone...the sound coming out and people not hearing me clearly. (Maybe it was just mine, but I know I was very disappointed.)

But as far as the speaker performance, how about comparing it to an iPhone 6/6+ speaker?

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah have to agree that the external speaker is bad. Really bad. It's especially jarring coming from a One M8 which has (or at least had before the M9) the awesome speakers. Once you increase the volume of the loudspeaker over 70%, it gets distorted, grainy and just bad overall.

I guess no more speakerphone for me. It gets loud enough, just the quality of it is really quite poor.

Yup

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like a mixer board sound affect is added to whatever is coming out of the speaker .
It's louder and in a better spot than the s5 it just sounds funny.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The ones I tried at BB didn't have to much distortion, but I still think they should have been a bit better quality sounding. A flagship device should have a decent speaker, period. Cheaping out on speaker quality just cheapens the whole device experience for me. Should have mine tomorrow. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress