Google Play Services and Google Push Updates?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
On AT&T,

Where is the setting being referenced in earlier posts? Didn't see it.

Is there an update through Google Push Services that needs to be applied? Where is the update?

Screen shots also as I am old.

Thanks!

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
If there are any updates for Google Play Services and I'm assuming you mean the recent Samsung Push Services update since there really isn't a Google Push Service as far as I know, then it will be in the Google Play store and update like any other application.

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It's an update in the Play Store for an app called "Samsung Push Service". Just update all your apps and you should get that one as well.

Open the Play Store, tap the three bar menu icon in the upper left, select My apps, Update All.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to be thick.

In recent threads, there was mention of Samsung Push Service. Apologies. My mistake associating it with Google. I understood it to be a notification app of changes that were pushed to all Samsung devices. My question was to ask if there is a patch that we need to apply. When I went into the app, I didn't see any notes about the update.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
There was also a thread about Google Play Services settings but I didn't see the options other than what is on AT&T models so I wondered where the setting if one existed was located.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Google play services are updated automatically. You can download the apk from the Web, if you fancy that. As far as I know the only general setting for GPS is the "manage space" option in settings - apps.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The OP is mentioning a post that made references to be able to go to Google Play Services and set it to sync only when charging, I was also curious about this as I don't recall any settings on that matter, and the only that made some kind of logic was going to Google Settings App but in there I couldn't see anything related to sync, so that's still a mystery.

Other than that, if you are having issues with Google Play services draining the battery, it's not a Samsung or S6 issue, is a very well known Lollipop Bug affecting basically all devices models (let me specify that as I was called out about saying all devices) such as Nexus, Motorola and other devices with Lollipop for months already. Go to my thread so you can see what has worked for me at least stopping the drain temporarily not a fix.

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You can restrict background data for Google Play Services. That's in Settings, Data usage, find Google Play Services, toggle restrict background data to 'on'.

But that doesn't restrict it based on the charger being plugged in or not, it restricts it based on being a background or foreground task.

Keep in mind that Google Play and Google Play Services are two different things. If you just want to keep Google Play Store from downloading apps by itself then turn that off in the Play Store settings.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The patch you need to apply is the update to "Samsung Push Service" in the Google Play Store.

I went into the Google Play Store and the app shows installed and is on auto update. I should be good?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You can restrict background data for Google Play Services. That's in Settings, Data usage, find Google Play Services, toggle restrict background data to 'on'.

But that doesn't restrict it based on the charger being plugged in or not, it restricts it based on being a background or foreground task.

Keep in mind that Google Play and Google Play Services are two different things. If you just want to keep Google Play Store from downloading apps by itself then turn that off in the Play Store settings.

I found it under Google Services. Enabling the restriction only affects background or foreground but does not affect device functionality?

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I found it under Google Services. Enabling the restriction only affects background or foreground but does not affect device functionality?

It will prevent your phone from retrieving certain information for you. Unless you have some specific reason to disable background data for Google Play Services I would leave it on. There is also something called Google Services Framework which is a different thing with different consequences.

I would leave both of them alone and in their default state (that's how my S6 is set and it works just fine with great battery life).

nanapull3

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Am curious, during this discussion and playing around in my phone settings, under Google Play Services. It has access to my car speed. Why would that be necessary in my phone and what app could possibly be pulling that info? Is it general for all note 4's and specific to Google Play Services? If I disable the app, what if any functionality will I lose.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty