Am i expecting too much from phones these days?

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
You're one of the few going off on how much better the iPhone is...over and over again. You own both so I'll take your word for it, my wife only has a 5S and its battery is subpar compared to my S6. I agree that the battery should drain issues like cell standby (and other software related bugs) are not acceptable, but we have to remember the size of the small battery and should be considered in the factor of deciding to get an S6 or not. I bought the S6 knowing it had a smaller battery, i preferred the smaller/sleeker design so i knew what i was getting into. But as stated, if the problem is software specific i feel for those who are suffering.

Really, my comment was a smirk joke more than anything i didnt mean anything rude by it :)

Comparing the s6 to the 5s. Hmm, something seems a little wrong about that comparison.

How about comparing it to the 6 or the 6plus.

Posted via the Android Central App

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone finally placed some of the blame on Samsung yet or are we still blaming Google, carriers, and users?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Comparing the s6 to the 5s. Hmm, something seems a little wrong about that comparison.

How about comparing it to the 6 or the 6plus.

reading too much into my "comparison" between S6 and 5S, im not comparing them at all just saying thats what i have at my disposal to see the difference at home. I agree comparing the 6/6+ is more accurate, hence why i initially stated id take his word for it :p

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's a GREAT point too. Everyone's getting defensive over this but we as consumers have a right to purchase an expensive product and have it work well. 2.5hrs screen time out of the box is absolutely absurd no matter who's fault it is.

Let's face it. Most people are not getting 2.5 hours of SoT with the S6. They are getting more. Far more out of the box.

What we are seeing is a small trickle of users with phones that are lemons or people who think that poor cellular service won't destroy your battery life. Of course this phone still has plenty of bugs besides what is in lollipop. Each carrier also has their hand in things and sometimes causes problems too. Let's also not forget apps that also really need a good update or two to iron out issues in a new device.

I love people who think that just because a device costs considerable more money than normal should do anything else but have issues in the first month or two like every other phone on this planet. If anyone can show me a phone without bugs during the first month or two, please do. Heck, you can even include iphones and Windows too.

I mean no disrespect. In a perfect world there would be no such things as bugs. But this will go on forever, so you better get used to it. The only difference is that today most people want to leave all of the antennas running while Facebook and Twitter run synced. They don't just want gps turned on, but location services also running regardless that Google might be extremely aggressive in asking your phone for data all day long. And they hate when any of this costs battery life, yet won't turn of GPS or anything else if not needed. I'm just not surprised that some are not happy.

No doubt that Google dropped the ball with lollipop. The issues alone have hurt everything coming out this year and the nexus 6 isn't immune to the major issues either. But with more flagships arriving soon you'll see more will have issues too until everything gets ironed out.

It's sad that it has to be this way. But I've never seen a bug free phone on release. I don't even think it's posable on any platform.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone finally placed some of the blame on Samsung yet or are we still blaming Google, carriers, and users?

Whole lot of talk for someone who doesn't own the phone. I'm sure iMore would appreciate your enthusiasm, though.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
reading too much into my "comparison" between S6 and 5S, im not comparing them at all just saying thats what i have at my disposal to see the difference at home. I agree comparing the 6/6+ is more accurate, hence why i initially stated id take his word for it :p

No need to take my word for it. I'm no Apple Fanboy, not even close (I'm not a Fanboy of any platform, I actually like them all for very different reasons and enjoy switching back and forth and am really enjoying Android and all of its flexibility right now).

But, say what you want about Apple but one thing they got right is that they know how to sandbox apps to prevent battery drain, and they take it seriously. See my 6 Plus performance below a few days ago with fairly heavy use over 3 hours including music streaming, lots of texting, emailing, etc. It's just a comparison for you to see so don't take it the wrong way. I LOVE my S6.

100% of everything is turned on with the iPhone - Google Apps, location services, Microsoft One Drive, screen brightness way up, all Google sync services, Google Drive, etc. I don't have to tinker with it at all to have only 3% drain over 3 hours with fairly heavy use.

Maybe Apple can't compete with the S6 with their older and smaller devices like your wife's 5S, which by the way only has a 1560mAh battery (over 1,000mAh smaller than your S6), but the 6 and 6 Plus are truly remarkable in the battery department, especially on Standby (remember - the 6 has a far smaller battery at 1800mAh then the 2600mAh Galaxy S6 and is still pretty toe to toe with it in battery performance and the 6 Plus only has a nominally larger battery at 2915mAh).

Yes, Apple falls far short in many OS areas but you have to concede that what they are doing for battery life, Google should easily be able to match, especially for these $1000.00 flagship devices. But instead, it appears that Google has slipped backwards in the battery life department with Lollipop which is causing a host of battery issues for so many devices and people used to decent battery life with Kit Kat.

20150417_220536000_iOS.jpg

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
No need to take my word for it. I'm no Apple Fanboy, not even close (I'm not a Fanboy of any platform, I actually like them all for very different reasons and enjoy switching back and forth and am really enjoying Android and all of its flexibility right now).

But, say what you want about Apple but one thing they got right is that they know how to sandbox apps to prevent battery drain, and they take it seriously. See my 6 Plus performance below a few days ago with fairly heavy use over 3 hours including music streaming, lots of texting, emailing, etc. It's just a comparison for you to see so don't take it the wrong way. I LOVE my S6.

100% of everything is turned on with the iPhone - Google Apps, location services, Microsoft One Drive, screen brightness way up, all Google sync services, Google Drive, etc. I don't have to tinker with it at all to have only 3% drain over 3 hours with fairly heavy use.

Maybe Apple can't compete with the S6 with their older and smaller devices like your wife's 5S, which by the way only has a 1560mAh battery (over 1,000mAh smaller than your S6), but the 6 and 6 Plus are truly remarkable in the battery department, especially on Standby (remember - the 6 has a far smaller battery at 1800mAh then the 2600mAh Galaxy S6 and is still pretty toe to toe with it in battery performance and the 6 Plus only has a nominally larger battery at 2915mAh).

Yes, Apple falls far short in many OS areas but you have to concede that what they are doing for battery life, Google should easily be able to match, especially for these $1000.00 flagship devices. But instead, it appears that Google has slipped backwards in the battery life department with Lollipop which is causing a host of battery issues for so many devices and people used to decent battery life with Kit Kat.

View attachment 173494

I can agree with some of this, but keep in mind that if the GS6 had a 750p display, the battery life would be far better than the iPhone 6. When all things are equal and you're not affected by these issues currently plaguing some of these devices, even at 1440p it has better battery life than the iPhone 6.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I can agree with some of this, but keep in mind that if the GS6 had a 750p display, the battery life would be far better than the iPhone 6. When all things are equal and you're not affected by these issues currently plaguing some of these devices, even at 1440p it has better battery life than the iPhone 6.

Thanks to Samsungs more efficient processor. Yup my S6 had far better battery life than my wife's iPhone 6, and has wireless charging. She's all kinds of jealous, but still won't give up her iPhone lol.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I have actually said nothing specifically about Apple and iOS, if i ever did say anything its how incredibly well optimized and solid the OS and hardware is. You dont need to write all that, I agree with what you've said...I think this response is more directed at the other users on this forum battling the iOS vs Android argument. You know what, if iPhone 6 was priced similar to my S6 here in Canada it would have been a much more difficult decision for my latest upgrade...but because of the Canadian crappy $$$ its $100 more.

Is Android better than iOS? I think both OS's offer advantages and disadvantages, one is better than the other at things and vice versa. I can never knock iPhone, while it's OS is boredom beyond belief it just WORKS...ALWAYS. I just prefer Android for the customization options and open source design, otherwise i praise iOS for stability and performance. Dont get me lumped in as an Android fanboy as I am not, I just came from 2 years of Windows Phone in Sept 2014 and before that had an iPhone 5S for around 7 months. I am a mobile tech fan, not a brand loyalty of any.

I love my S6, its not without some minor problems sure...the battery is suffice for me. Thats where i stand. Whether iPhone 6 is better or worse I have no opinion because I dont have one, i never meant by my statement "taking your word for it" to be demeaning or sarcastic...i literally meant it, as you own one. My buddy has an iPhone 6 and we make fun of each other all the time, never take it seriously.

Its really funny how my little stupid, intended joke ended up taking it this far haha. I was literally kidding, i've seen ya on here and wanted to poke at you not question your knowledge or assessments. I think its a sign of how heated things are getting on this forum, im just surprised you guys have been able to keep going back and forth daily...i cant even read it all as i get exhausted haha.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Its really funny how my little stupid, intended joke ended up taking it this far haha. I was literally kidding, i've seen ya on here and wanted to poke at you not question your knowledge or assessments.

Hey...we're all good! I really just wanted to show you what a 6 Plus does in real world usage. That's all. I agree - it's definitely not an Android vs. Apple thing. I LOVE the flexibility of Android OS and agree with so many of you that iOS gets boring after a while. That's why we're all here!

It's good to have people around here with different perspectives. Imagine how lonely (and boring) the Forums would be if everybody agreed on everything! :)

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You are not expecting too much from these phones. I had to send back bother the Edge and the M9 due to horrible battery life on both. HTC's problem is the horrible 810 processor it used and Samsungs problem is that they are so obsessed with copying "thin" from Apple that it used an extremly undersized battery. Regardless of the processor Samsung claims to be "efficient" there is no way to power 500ppi worth of pixels with a meager 2500mah battery. Both companies failed big time this year.

Hi guys so this is my 3rd samsung 6 edge after the first two having battery issues (or maybe not). I got the phone yesterday came with 53%. within 4 hrs of very light usage it dropped to 10%. I had to go out so i did a quick charge for about 10 min. Charged it again when i got home. this morning at 10 i unplugged it used it lightly mainly just texting and probably 20 min of gaming. it died on me around 4 pm. I charged it up again. Now after 30 min of very light texting. a 3 min phone call, it dropped to 90%. Am i expecting too much from phones these days?

I tried everything that was recommended. I did a factory reset once i got the phone. I disabled wifi calling, lowered the screen brightness to like 25%, turned off bluetooth, wifi, gps.

Any input would be very helpful. thank you

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
You are not expecting too much from these phones. I had to send back bother the Edge and the M9 due to horrible battery life on both. HTC's problem is the horrible 810 processor it used and Samsungs problem is that they are so obsessed with copying "thin" from Apple that it used an extremly undersized battery. Regardless of the processor Samsung claims to be "efficient" there is no way to power 500ppi worth of pixels with a meager 2500mah battery. Both companies failed big time this year.

I disagree...I'm no Samsung apologist and I've been very critical that pushing out a product that has the impact of failed battery life (for whatever reason) is wrong, but it's been proven that phones that don't have this bug are pretty good. However, Samsung/Google/carriers have to push something out quick, this is baloney and needs to be corrected. Little bugs here and there are expected, but for those of us using their phones for business have no use for something that doesn't perform its intended function. I'll wait on the sidelines until I'm convinced there is a solution in place. If Google/Samsung/carriers do nothing then I'm going elsewhere for product.

For a company to fail means to me they have no answer for correcting issues. If they fix the phone in a reasonable period of time (a month) then they're good to go IMO.

Last edited:

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Whole lot of talk for someone who doesn't own the phone. I'm sure iMore would appreciate your enthusiasm, though.

Do you only make posts and comments about devices you own? Do you the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge?

Think about it and let us know.

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat. Coming from iPhone 6plus which has stellar battery to s6 left me a bit she'll shocked, lol. I picked up the s6 last Sunday, used it for 3 days and turned the iPhone 6plus back in and was ready to return this phone.

I have had just about every flagship android sin e the beginning and haven't had battery life so bad. Something in me said give the phone another chance, so I stuck with it 2 more days.

Following tweaks that I have read on this site here is what I got today.

Attachments

• 277.jpg
    277.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 278.jpg
    278.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 31

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Do you only make posts and comments about devices you own? Do you the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge?

Think about it and let us know.

I don't pretend to know about phones I don't have. Apparently you don't do the same. Good stuff.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm really contemplating to see if i should return this phone and just get the S6. I have till tomorrow before i get charged with the restocking fee

I do not know that getting a S6 over the S6e would accomplish anything, if you check the forums you will see that the S6 has just as much as a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38