The app that saved my battery!

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
If you were getting those results without the app, your battery is already good
I couldnt even get to 3:30 without my phone being at around 15% of battery

You probably have the FaceBook app enabled? Only social media app I have that syncs is Google+ and I turned off sync for that. Also, I had Location off going to turn that on with the Wifi/Mobile setting selected because you can't use Device Locator without it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
In data usage, under by application. Select the app and there is a toggle for Restrict Background Data.

Ah ok I see what your saying now, didn't even know you can do that thanks
But I'd rather not want to restrict any background data tbh, I want everything free flowing
That would also probably mean I would have to restrict every app that I install using that method

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You probably have the FaceBook app enabled? Only social media app I have that syncs is Google+ and I turned off sync for that. Also, I had Location off going to turn that on with the Wifi/Mobile setting selected because you can't use Device Locator without it.

The only thing I had syncing was my emails. I have FB but I turn sync off for that
I also have Location on but its on the Wifi/Mobil setting too

I had all this before the app and still couldnt get good battery, so I can only assume something was running in the background that was killing my apps. I also have a smartwatch and leave bluetooth on so that could be a cause as well

With this app, I can leave all this on and still get 5 hrs SOT. This is what I wanted from the phone to begin with

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that feature can be done on an app specific basis
Ehh, I honestly don't want to restrict any background data
I did that on my Z3, and was messing with my group messaging...my group message members were complaining lol

It can. Go to settings, data usage, and you can select apps in there to restrict background usage. As you can see below I could restrict just twitch.tv from background data.

But... I don't like doing that. Even if I had a limited data plan restricting background data on my apps kills a smartphone for me. I want notifications and all that to work...but that's just me. I know some don't care :).

Attachments

• 1429980907534.jpg
    1429980907534.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 51

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It can. Go to settings, data usage, and you can select apps in there to restrict background usage. As you can see below I could restrict just twitch.tv from background data.

But... I don't like doing that. Even if I had a limited data plan restricting background data on my apps kills a smartphone for me. I want notifications and all that to work...but that's just me. I know some don't care :).

Yup I just saw it too...didn't know you could do that
But I don't want to for the exact same reason as you. I want all my notifications coming through. I also had a not too good experience with restricting background on my Z3. Wasn't getting emails and messages on time. I don't want to have to manually manage all my apps for that

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I had syncing was my emails. I have FB but I turn sync off for that
I also have Location on but its on the Wifi/Mobil setting too

I had all this before the app and still couldnt get good battery, so I can only assume something was running in the background that was killing my apps. I also have a smartwatch and leave bluetooth on so that could be a cause as well

With this app, I can leave all this on and still get 5 hrs SOT. This is what I wanted from the phone to begin with

Sounds like maybe there's a bug with the watch talking to apps which this app possibly alleviates? However, I'll know for sure if ShutUp/Greenify work for me after this next battery life run.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like maybe there's a bug with the watch talking to apps which this app possibly alleviates? However, I'll know for sure if ShutUp/Greenify work for me after this next battery life run.

Definitely let me know
I knos some users are getting good battery life with Greenify on XDA...I'm sure ShutApp does a similar thing in managing background apps

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
was around 3:30 SOC on my S4. installed Shut App Friday.
per GSam my SOC is 4:04 since last charge ...

Android System: 11.8%
Clash of Clans: 8.7%
Android OS 5.4%
Google Keyboard 4.3%

thx for the tip Smooth!!

BTW I have Battery Dr. and clear my cache every 4-5 days. Also have CM Security which I use to clear my browsing history usually once a week. Is it necessary to do all these things, and if not, which is redundant? can't complain getting over 4 hours on my S4. It's a top priority on the wish list, so this allows me to be patient as I wait for the other 2015 flagships to drop before selecting 2 of them (need to replace my Nexus 4 also).

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Android OS 5.4%
Google Keyboard 4.3%

thx for the tip Smooth!!

BTW I have Battery Dr. and clear my cache every 4-5 days. Also have CM Security which I use to clear my browsing history usually once a week. Is it necessary to do all these things, and if not, which is redundant? can't complain getting over 4 hours on my S4. It's a top priority on the wish list, so this allows me to be patient as I wait for the other 2015 flagships to drop before selecting 2 of them (need to replace my Nexus 4 also).

Glad its working for you!

I only use ShutApp,
I dont think the clear cache is necessary as you can do that from the phone itself in settings -> storage -> cache -> clear all

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Android OS 5.4%
Google Keyboard 4.3%

thx for the tip Smooth!!

No need for most apps as you can do such things on your phone already.

Clear cache like Smooth4lyfe said. I'd do it no more than once a month unless you have a major issue.

No need for CM just clear browser history in the settings of your browser. Once a month sounds more than reasonable if needed.

This app on the other hand seems to work as I'm no longer seeing apps that I don't use often show up running and draining my battery. I'm getting an extra hour of SoT on top of my already great numbers. I use it only twice per charge and white listed things that must run in the background. Haven't tried greenify but why would I want another app to run in the background of that is what I originally don't want?

Smooth4lyfe, this app works. Don't listen to the hatters. I was getting 5 hours of SoT with my testing and everything turned on (including wifi always scanning). After a day and a half, I'm getting 6 hours.
With tweaks I might get 7 hours, and that is with gaming in my testing.

Thx bro, I never recommend such apps to people but this one I'm impressed with.

Posted via the Android Central App

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd also like to thank Smooth for this recommendation. I'm on track to get 6 hours of SoT.

Attachments

• 1430094088786.jpg
    1430094088786.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1430094102200.jpg
    1430094102200.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 68

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm getting a little more usage with Shut up or Greenify installed. I believe they give me an additional 30-60 minute sot. I'll be installing Greenify again because it gives more info than Shut Up and I prefer their widget.

Attachments

• 1430137302574.jpg
    1430137302574.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1430137314535.jpg
    1430137314535.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 50

brushrop03

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Tried it for a few days. My battery life didn't get any better. In fact...I think it went down a little bit. Was getting about 4 hours SOT. Now about 3.5 hrs. At my current rate I'll be at 3hrs SOT for the day.

brushrop03

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
This is with about 1.5 hours of Bluetooth Spotify (downloaded music)

Attachments

• 1430142888790.jpg
    1430142888790.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 50
  • 1430142908559.jpg
    1430142908559.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 50

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I used greenify on a g3, and a note 4, battery life went down on both. I have no faith in task killers/freezers/etc.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non