Slow to no Internet connection on 4G ( Telus Canada )

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I went from the S4 to the S6 recently. I have to say, my S4 was more reliable. I have ironed out the majority of the issues. Hoping the rest will be corrected on the next update. But one still remains, which I never had on my S4.
Whenever my phone switches from LTE to 4G I have slow to NO internet. Doesn't matter what browser I use, they are have the same result.
Once I am back on LTE BOOM no issues.
I have reached out to my carrier Telus to ask about this as well, but since it did't happen on my S4 I figure it may be the phone.
Anyone else having issues like this? Anyone have an fix suggestions?

Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I went from the S4 to the S6 recently. I have to say, my S4 was more reliable. I have ironed out the majority of the issues. Hoping the rest will be corrected on the next update. But one still remains, which I never had on my S4.
Whenever my phone switches from LTE to 4G I have slow to NO internet. Doesn't matter what browser I use, they are have the same result.
Once I am back on LTE BOOM no issues.
I have reached out to my carrier Telus to ask about this as well, but since it did't happen on my S4 I figure it may be the phone.
Anyone else having issues like this? Anyone have an fix suggestions?

Thanks!
It could be a difference in the way the radio handles the handoff from one data connection to the other, in addition to how the device antennas are built. Although you are on the same carrier, the devices are built differently and subtle changes could affect signal quality.

To troubleshoot, have you checked that your APN settings are correct? Follow the instructions on the Telus page to make sure the data is setup properly. If you are still having problems let us know and we'll try to provide further help: Get Help | TELUS.com

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It could be a difference in the way the radio handles the handoff from one data connection to the other, in addition to how the device antennas are built. Although you are on the same carrier, the devices are built differently and subtle changes could affect signal quality.

To troubleshoot, have you checked that your APN settings are correct? Follow the instructions on the Telus page to make sure the data is setup properly. If you are still having problems let us know and we'll try to provide further help: Get Help | TELUS.com

I am familiar with APN settings, but only on unlocked devices. If the device was FROM Telus and not an unlocked phone, should APN settings not already be hard coded into the phone?
I would assume if the phone was from Telus I wouldn't or shouldn't have to do this?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Have you run a speed test to check the differences?

Posted via the Android Central App

Speeds on LTE are amazing, when I drop to 4g I am getting around 75ms ping. I get anywhere from 1 to 3mb Down and 0.23MB up.
Apparently from what I have been reading there is a huge design flaw with the S6 in the way it was made and the new antenna technology they are using. Here is an article:

"The Samsung Galaxy S6 features a new antenna type that will solve the problem with eventual interference from the metal casing, reports Korean media today. Since the chassis is expected to have an entirely aluminum frame, and have glass cover at the front and back, the Galaxy S6's antenna had to be built in such a way that the signal could pass through without affection from the metal parts.

Samsung will switch from Laser Direct Structuring (LDS) antenna type to flexible PCB (FPCB) type, in order to meander through the internal components with the antenna parts, exposing it to places where it will get maximum signal strength.

Not only that, but the antenna will be flexed in sections that will be dedicated to the various internal radios offering cellular, NFC, and so on connectivity. Hopefully this new antenna type will mean that the Galaxy S6 won't experience the signal deterioration that was witnessed with the metal chassis of the Galaxy A3 and A5."

I am absolutely fed up with this POS. Telus keeps telling me to get it sent in for repair. but from what I am reading this is a pretty wide spread issue.
It's sad when my S4 performed better by far than the S6. Samsung is degrading, this may be my last Samsung Device.
Havne't even had it 2 months, and it's been nothing but a piece of Crap.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
While my speeds arent much better than yours, mine performs fine enough on Rogers 4G...but ya i'd expect better speeds.

Screenshot_2015-08-13-15-35-49_resized.png

LSXGMC

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't know how I missed this post before. I'm having the same issue. Very little LTE service in Saskatchewan, so needless to say my S6 is pretty much useless. I've got my SIM back in my S4 right now. I start my days off tomorrow, will be getting in touch with Sasktel and hopefully be getting rid of the S6 in favour of something else.

I can't post a link to my thread because I don't have enough posts yet. It's on page 2 right now....."Fed Up With Terrible Reception".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty