S6 - Serious RAM probs

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello, over the last little while I've noticed that apps are taking much longer to load. They will launch, however, several moments can pass where I'm just looking at a completely blank screen with the exception of maybe an icon for the app I'm trying to load. Then when it finally does, it seems to take a second or two before it responds to my touch. Sometimes even pressing the home button takes a while to return me to my home screen. Everything overall is just taking way too long to initiate - and this is something new to this phone. Before this, it's been perfect.

I checked Smart Manager and my RAM is running around an average of 88-90%. Unless I'm missing something, I press the END button and the application will disappear from the list, only to return again. I also have made sure that I've closed all apps as well. I just can't seem to get the RAM lower than 88% no matter what I stop, end, or close, or clean. In my limited knowledge of RAM I'm certain this is what's causing my applications to be very slow to respond.

Is there ANYTHING I can do - before a full reset? It's driving me nuts.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

It is normal for the RAM to be full. The more you clear it the more the system will use resources to fill it back up. Android tries to use as much RAM as possible -- and make room when needed. This way things will load from the RAM and load faster. If they are cleared from the RAM it will take them longer to load since it has to process it again and re-load it back into the RAM.

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Ah okay, thank you! So what else could it be that's causing everything to take so long to load? I'll leave the RAM alone for now, but as for everything else ... is there anything I can do to speed up the response back to the way it was?

It makes sense re: the more I clear the more the system will use resources to fill it back up. But, I guess what I'm asking now then is before even doing that, everything was just taking several seconds to launch to a working fashion. What normally causes something like that?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Ah okay, thank you! So what else could it be that's causing everything to take so long to load? I'll leave the RAM alone for now, but as for everything else ... is there anything I can do to speed up the response back to the way it was?

It makes sense re: the more I clear the more the system will use resources to fill it back up. But, I guess what I'm asking now then is before even doing that, everything was just taking several seconds to launch to a working fashion. What normally causes something like that?

I would go into settings, applications, application manager, then tap on all, and see if there is an app in there continuously running using up resourses.

Posted via the Android Central App

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Thanks, Gator. I did that and right away Facebook is at the top using 344MB. What I don't understand is that I don't have this app or webpage open. So, I assume this is running in the background. Same with Google+ (which I never use) and Chrome (also not open) ... Where can I go to manage which applications run in the background?

This is my first Samsung after three generations of iPhone so I'm a little lost sometimes...!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re:

You can disable Google+ and other apps you don't use. For Google+ for example, go to:
Settings > Apps > All > Select Google+ > Force stop >Disable.

Android does a very efficient job of handleing running processes, RAM. etc automatically for you. You don't need to manually close apps. It's actually counterproductive to do so. Let Android handle things as intended. It will optimize performance itself if you let it.

That said, nothing is perfect. Some apps are poorly coded and can cause trouble. If you continue to have trouble with the phone being sluggish, read this:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7020617

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mostafakhalaf