08-02-2018 08:00 AM
42 12
tools
    I have a GS6 stock for AT&T. Every time I get a notification, my screen lights up. When I had my HTC m9, the screen never woke up besides for calls. It's really annoying having the screen light up for any and all notifications. I've tried turning off pop up notifications, previews, and everything I can try to shut it off but nothing works. Any advice to turn screen wake off for all notifications?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-01-2015 08:25 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I've seen a couple of threads on XDA complaining about this as well: [Q] How to Turn off Auto-screen on when gett… | Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge | XDA Forums. Doesn't seem that there's a way to turn that off if you're using the stock Messaging app. Some have suggested using Textra or the Verizon Messages+ app (which I think you might be able to use even if you're not on Verizon).
    11-02-2015 02:34 AM
    ^Correct, you can use the Verizon+ messaging app across all phone makes. It's in the play store.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-02-2015 05:24 AM
    My issue is with EVERYTHING, not just with text messages. I've seen plenty of threads asking about that and it's not my problem. It's every type of notification that lights it up.

Does anyone know how to shut that off if it's rooted? I'll root this phone just to stop it, that's how annoying it is

11-02-2015 07:23 AM
    Do any power-saving modes turn this off?
    11-02-2015 12:21 PM
    Nope. Nothing seems to make a difference.

11-02-2015 01:04 PM
    Let me call in some reinforcements.
    Christa Weaver likes this.
    11-02-2015 02:31 PM
    Do you have lockscreen notifications on? I have them off and nothing lights up my Note 5 when a notification comes in.

Now one thing I also use is the Heads Off application and that outs my notifications on the status bar and turns off the Heads Up pop up notifications.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-02-2015 02:36 PM
    Yes, I've tried turning notifications off for the lockscreen and it will still light the screen up when something comes through, but does not show the notification.

I've even tried apps like AC Display, LightFlow, and a few others that have the option to enable or disable screen light up, but even if it's disabled in the app it still lights my screen up.
    11-02-2015 03:24 PM
    Try that Heads Off app in the Play Store. There is a free version. It has stopped full battery pop ups and other various pop ups.

That is odd it is lighting up your screen though. That can be carrier related, but when I had AT&T never happened with any of my phones and my Note 5 on TMO doesn't do that.

One other thing.. Sounds and notifications in settings.. Then look at app notifications. Do you have any of these apps set as priority or are they turned off like this? Now if it is an app you never want it to notify you, turning block on my stop it.
    Attached Thumbnails turn screen wake off for notifications-1446496275103.jpg  
    11-02-2015 03:31 PM
    Using the Heads Off app seems to keep the screen from lighting up, but then the notification is not on the lockscreen or taskbar. I have to unlock my phone to see what the notification is via the taskbar, which seems counter intuitive. I still want my notifications of my lockscreen and taskbar, but I do not want my screen to light up. Didn't have that issue with HTC.

It must have something to do with the carrier, but who knows. I've seen other threads of people complaining about the same thing with this device on other carriers and there seems to be no solution. None of my apps are set to priority.
    11-02-2015 04:14 PM
    Well with the heads off, you can buy the pro key.

Did you turn the ticker on with heads off? It makes it like the old notification, it can have it scroll across the status bar.
    11-02-2015 04:45 PM
    You can customize the ticker and make it behave in different ways. I don't do that. You might need the pro key for that. It isn't expensive, I think less than $2.00.
    Attached Thumbnails turn screen wake off for notifications-1446500829934.jpg  
    11-02-2015 04:47 PM
    Yes, I turned the ticker on and it doesn't display notifications on the lockscreen. I might buy the app and see what it does. This whole ordeal is much more frustrating than it needs to be.

11-02-2015 04:56 PM
    Well to display notifications on the lockscreen, you will have to turn that option on with your phone, but that will light up your screen..
    11-02-2015 05:02 PM
    And that's what I want, the notifications to go to lockscreen but not light it up. Samsung should have to option for it one would think. My other phone was like that by default and I absolutely loved it. None of the apps I try do that. It's either get notifications and have my screen light up, whether or not it goes it lockscreen, or flash the LED with a notification but it does not display it on the lockscreen or the notification bar. Or it's even lit out the screen when something comes through but doesn't display it anywhere until the phone is unlocked.
    11-02-2015 08:57 PM
    Well with heads off and that ticker, it will show up and you can increase the time. I don't know if you can pull down the status bar without unlocking or not.
    11-02-2015 09:11 PM
    Regardless of the settings I played around with with that app, it still lit up the phone whether or not it went to lockscreen. :/
    11-04-2015 10:51 AM
    I'm not sure why you are getting the screen light up. Mine doesn't do that. Only my LED lights up.
    11-04-2015 10:56 AM
    You know.. My S6 Edge didn't do that either..
    11-04-2015 10:58 AM
    At this point, it might be worth either bringing it to your local Best Buy (if applicable) and asking the Samsung Experience rep to look at it, or calling 800-SAMSUNG and seeing if one of the reps there can help.
    11-04-2015 12:14 PM
    I think it may have been with an update. I havent changed any of my settings and just recently this is happening to me too. I dont like it and i want to have it not happen. I cant figure it out either!
    02-21-2017 10:56 AM
    I realize that this thread is 2 years old now, but the fact that labbettm posted today encouraged me to post as well. I have an HTC One E8. It started doing this same exact thing yesterday and it's driving me crazy. I hadn't changed any settings. I agree, it must have been a recent update. If I recall, I did see a recent update for HTC Sense. It's one thing to put out an update that changes the way things work, but to not give the ability to put it back to the way it used to work is just wrong. People get used to the way things work. It's annoying when they change without notice.
    02-21-2017 01:33 PM
    Good thing that I'm not the only one just started having this problem. I agree: Some update caused this nonsense to happen on any notification.

I'm on a Galaxy S5 with Android 5, by the way. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone finds a solution.
    02-21-2017 02:27 PM
    The same thing started happening to my LG G3 today too! I've been looking at forums all day trying to find a solution, and even contacted LG directly and they said nothing can be done other than turning off the notifications from the lock screen (but this completely stops all notifications which ultimately defeats the purpose of a smartphone...). It's so annoying and it's completely draining my battery!!
    02-21-2017 05:24 PM
42 12