Enable FM Radio on GS6

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
don't want to be negative but check the specs.
http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_(cdma)-7164.php
this is the version for verizon, sprint, us cel and canada.
if you scroll down to comms it says radio - no
btw can you post a playstore link to that radio app because i wanted to check it out but cant find it
cheers

They need to tell that to my phone then. :) as i sit here listening to wjrr 101.1 fm with my earphones.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio&token=6N3aicFr

Take a look at the supported devices. The S6 is for sprint only.

Posted via the Android Central App

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
They need to tell that to my phone then. :) as i sit here listening to wjrr 101.1 fm with my earphones.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio&token=4ITGM4M9

Take a look at the supported devices. The S6 is for sprint only.

Not sure what to think, specs say no, for most it does not work, but it seems to work for others. Like most stations, I see WJRR has an online stream available. Does it still work for you if you turn off all data - Wifi and LTE/3g?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what to think, specs say no, for most it does not work, but it seems to work for others. Like most stations, I see WJRR has an online stream available. Does it still work for you if you turn off all data - Wifi and LTE/3g?

Yes. The only time it does not work is if i unplug the headphones because it uses it as an antenna.

YNWA-LFC

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'd say most people didn't bother to plug in their headphones after installing the app. They just opened it, no radio detected, and closed it. Should be an interesting experiment to install the app then plug in the headphones, and then open the app. I'll try it at home tonight. I'm on ATT with a 925F

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
the app is not available in uk.
but if you say that your phone has fm radio maybe its a fake chinese copy?

Naw. Direct from Sprint store. :) If you go to the nextradio website they have the phones and carriers listed.

Boost, virgin, and Sprint, are the only three it states and it's limited to only a few phones. Verizon and AT&T are supposed to be getting it soon.

Little Lord

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung S6 on Sprint and the NextRadio works and the FM chip enabled; however I want to disable it, creates interference when plugged in to my car, it's trying to use the 3.5mm plug as an antenna when plugged in, so all the feedback comes through the speakers. It is horrible.

Gator1965

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The S6 does have the FM chip, as do most phones. The problem is that they are disabled by the carrier to force you to use more data. That has recently been changed and most carriers will be activating the chips. So when it says radio no available, they mean they have not activated it, but the hardware is there. Keep pushing your carrier, ATT, Sprint, Verizon and all the others to start activating them.

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
My Sprint S6 definitely has an FM receiver as it crackles on a lot of stations and if i use manual mode i get static between stations. You wouldn't be instructed to use the earbuds cord as an antenna if it weren't over airwaves. I bet the Next Radio description in the Google Play store explains it too.

Sam73065

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
All S6 have the fm chip. The only difference is that Sprint sells their S6 with the fm chip enabled, the other carriers have it disabled. TMobile just enabled it on the S7 and S7E. Works like a charm, hopefully they'll go back and update the S6 now.

rdrd12

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Go into "settings" and "apps" first, make sure the radio app has everything enabled. Then try using the "sound recorder" app and make sure to follow any "permissions" it asks for at first use. Then make a short recording. Try opening your "radio" app again. It worked on my android device.

ListenUpHfx

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I don't think you know what kind of phone you have. What's your Social Insurance # and I can help you look up your phone model? NextRadio tells you which devices it's compatible with and the S6 is not one of them.

Tony Vincent1

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
Generally the only difference between carriers for a specific model of phone is the firmware, colors, and markings. While it would certainly be possible for one carrier to disable a feature such as an FM radio, they would generally want their variants to be as cable as their competitors. It was a good question as some phones have had FM radio circuits, though a minority. Don't feel left out though since they generally require you to have a headphone plugged in so it can use the wire as an antenna. Reportedly, the Samsung S2 had a FM radio, but no S series since. Note that your local radio stations may well have a streaming page, though obviously that would use your data plan.

You mention S2 but I had a S4 mini which had a fm radio enabled...my local fm radio station broadcast all the games of my local football team - but was not allowed to broadcast over internet streaming...so I found an app, plugged in my earphones and listened to the footy on speaker...