Wireless charging

Tony Ricciardella

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I have a Pleson wireless charger, the question is if I leave my phone on the wireless charger all the time when at home will this be bad for the battery such as shorten its life? Thanks everyone

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It's no different than leaving it plugged in, once it reaches 100% charging shuts off until it drops a few percent and will then kick back on. I have a wireless charger by my bed and I have kept my LG G3 I had and my S6 on it all night and during the day keep it on one on my desk. No issues.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a Pleson wireless charger, the question is if I leave my phone on the wireless charger all the time when at home will this be bad for the battery such as shorten its life? Thanks everyone

Circuitry in phones and other rechargeable devices is designed to stop charging when the delta-v chip detects a certain voltage level which indicates a full charge. For this to work, the charger, the battery, and the charging circuit must all be working properly, which is true well over 99.99% of the time. There have been cases where batteries continue being charged, which can eventually bulge and burst the battery, which starts on fire when the lithium is exposed to air. This probably would not happen immediately, it would generally take multiple overcharges during which it would get almost too hot to touch. And something has to fail first to cause it. Though unlikely, I personally avoid leaving any device on a charger too long, and I feel the temperature when I do take it off the charger to see if it's too hot.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I didn't answer your question really - will leaving it on the charger shorten battery life? Presuming the rare scenario I describe above does not happen, leaving it on the charger too long will still produce some extra heat because many charging circuits have a trickle charge mode that kicks in when the battery drains down past some threshold. Any amount of heat will shorten the life of the battery, but you can't avoid the heat during normal charging. While taking it off the charger when charging is complete is preferable, allowing it to trickle charge once in a while should not make an appreciable difference. Most folks seem to keep their smartphones 2-3 years, and the battery should last that long. Go past that and you may need a new battery. Some have gone many years on a battery, though their usage is probably lighter than usual, as in with a dumb phone. The battery on an S6 can be replaced, just not very easy for the typical owner.