Galaxy S6 will not fast charge and is not recognized by computer

KateG123

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
My Galaxy S6 was working normally until last week. It will not fast charge, it only says charging and displays time to 100% at around 3 hours from 50 % battery. I know for sure it is not the cable or charger port because when I hook up any other Galaxy S6 or S7 they fast charge immediately. The option under battery settings to fast charge is on. USB debugging is not on. The USB option is already set to MTP. I have already tried booting the phone in safe mode and wiping the cache partition. Neither made any difference. When I hook my phone up to my computer it says " USB Device Not Recognized". I know it is not the computer, I have hooked it up to transfer pictures and music a million times. I do not want to do a factory reset because I cannot back up anything from my phone, since the computer cannot recognize it. The cable is plugged all the way into my phone and is not missing any pins.

It was working fine up until I hooked it up to a photo kiosk at Walmart. It worked once at the kiosk and then suddenly it would no longer detect my phone to search for pictures. Help please ??? :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I know for sure it is not the cable or charger port because when I hook up any other Galaxy S6 or S7 they fast charge immediately.
Saying that it IS the charging port in your phone.

When I hook my phone up to my computer it says " USB Device Not Recognized".
Either the port or the ROM is bad.

I do not want to do a factory reset because I cannot back up anything from my phone, since the computer cannot recognize it.
Sure you can - WiFi File Transfer is just one way to do it without a cable.

It was working fine up until I hooked it up to a photo kiosk at Walmart.
With a bent or broken port, I'm guessing.

KateG123

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Hiii! So I am using Bluetooth to transfer files but it is taking literally forever. I have lots of music and pictures :( Since the computer detects that it is connected but says that it malfunctioned... it must be that something went wrong with the software on my phone right? Should a factory reset fix this? I am trying to avoid an insurance deductible in any way possible.

KateG123

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I am in the process of moving all of my files (slowly but surely). Once I get them all I will go ahead and do that to see if it works. I'll update this thread either way.

KateG123

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
So I took my phone to Sprint to see if they could fix it. The guy had my phone for over an hour while I sat and waited. Then he told me that he could not fix it and they couldn't start an insurance claim for me (deductible free) because my phone had a small single crack on the back corner. He said that he couldn't open the phone because since it was cracked he couldn't put it back together. You would think they would have lots of replacement screens at a Sprint repair store since that's probably the most common repair ... but I digress. I could either pay the deductible and go through insurance or send it to Samsung for repair. My warranty with Samsung was only until the next day. I called them when I left the store and have since sent my phone to them for repair... free of charge. So we will see.

smc894

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Hey Kate,

I am having the exact same problem as you! Could you please update me with the outcome from Samsung, please! :)

David197

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Had exactly the same problem, wouldnt fast charge(would cable charge) or connect to my pc/mac....factory reset it but still same problem.

Tonight plugged it in to charge and voila...fast charging again and connecting to computers..weird, funny thing is Samsung are collecting it to repair on Monday so not sure what to do now...secretly want it to break again to justify it.

lmpoler

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I contacted Samsung support for this problem and solved it immediately. Go to device "settings" , choose "battery" . Make sure that the "fast cable charging" feature is turned on. This was the problem that my phone had. It was turned to "off" after a recent system update. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38