S7 Edge - I can't find anything wrong

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Dude, I wasn't talking to you or about you. Relax.

I just get tired of people telling me what I can and can't hear based on what they can and can't hear. I sit in an office 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week. Unless I'm on a call with someone, I have a high-end audio system behind me playing music every minute. I love music. I can tell the difference. Anyone who says I can't tell the difference is lying.

All that stuff aside, I think you mentioned in one of the articles here that you'd be skipping out on the S7/S7 Edge. Any particular reason why? If I had to guess, and it's a perfectly valid reason, is it because of the carriers/updates debacle?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
All that stuff aside, I think you mentioned in one of the articles here that you'd be skipping out on the S7/S7 Edge. Any particular reason why? If I had to guess, and it's a perfectly valid reason, is it because of the carriers/updates debacle?

Touchwiz isn't for me on a phone. I will admit i like it on my Tab S. But I use a phone for a certain group of tasks and features, and phones without any extra OS overhead — like Nexus phones or Moto phones or something like the Idol 3 — work better for me. I certainly don't want Samsung to change things for me, and i understand the value people find with their apps and services.

And of course, the update mess. I don't care if I ever get Marshmallow on my S6 edge, but there's no reason Samsung and T-Mobile can't patch the known security risks regularly. That has to happen before i put all of my personal information on it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So my post about double blind testing gets modded out, but you can make a backhanded comment like that? Seems fair.

Your comment was trolling another user, telling them to produce scientific studies to back up their preference and accusing them of lying if they declined to do so. Cleaning that up was the right thing to do. Do you feel that post was in the PUPPAH spirit? If you have an issue with a moderator action, please send that moderator a polite PM to discuss it or email me at matt.luciano@mobilenations.com.

Trolling isn't allowed and the rules also prohibit complaints such as this in public and give details about how to productively address any concerns that you may have.

I get the point you were originally trying to make, but we need to have a healthy conversation in a respectful, positive and productive manner.

http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Your comment was trolling another user, telling them to produce scientific studies to back up their preference and accusing them of lying if they declined to do so. Cleaning that up was the right thing to do. Do you feel that post was in the PUPPAH spirit? If you have an issue with a moderator action, please send that moderator a polite PM to discuss it or email me at matt.luciano@mobilenations.com.

Trolling isn't allowed and the rules also prohibit complaints such as this in public and give details about how to productively address any concerns that you may have.

I get the point you were originally trying to make, but we need to have a healthy conversation in a respectful, positive and productive manner.

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Need me to show him the ropes of what not to do to get flagged/banned by a mod? Haha.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Need me to show him the ropes of what not to do to get flagged/banned by a mod? Haha.
Nope, thanks though. I don't think anyone meant any harm. We can all use a reminder that we have very different levels of expertise and interest in various areas of this nerdery. Everyone is all good here. "Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting".

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Touchwiz isn't for me on a phone. I will admit i like it on my Tab S. But I use a phone for a certain group of tasks and features, and phones without any extra OS overhead — like Nexus phones or Moto phones or something like the Idol 3 — work better for me. I certainly don't want Samsung to change things for me, and i understand the value people find with their apps and services.

And of course, the update mess. I don't care if I ever get Marshmallow on my S6 edge, but there's no reason Samsung and T-Mobile can't patch the known security risks regularly. That has to happen before i put all of my personal information on it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea for them to give another crack at a GPE for one of these. I've always been inclined to stick with the Nexus line because I like a more clean, streamlined experience, but the hardware Samsung comes swinging with is tough to ignore. A unity between the two would be something special given that Samsung kept their camera app on board.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't be a bad idea for them to give another crack at a GPE for one of these. I've always been inclined to stick with the Nexus line because I like a more clean, streamlined experience, but the hardware Samsung comes swinging with is tough to ignore. A unity between the two would be something special given that Samsung kept their camera app on board.
If Samsung could get rid of the hardware buttons on the front, clean up the software and make security a priority (monthly updates without fail, less than 10 days from any major release to software available for download) and keep their level of execution on hardware, camera software, etc. it would be very difficult to resist their flagships. As it is, we're getting to a point where no one is "lacking" in hardware and software and security can be much more important.

Le0_Br4zUc4

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: I can't find anything wrong

I'd prefer not to rely on sd media storage (no adoptable storage anyway here) - so 32gb only for a premium flagship is a bit stingy and strange again from Samsung.

I'm with you but the 32gb versions are more a carries issue than Samsung. My opinion is that a phone that cost 800 ish should have 64Gb on board memory and memory card for those who want it

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I think there's a number out there who might want that. Too bad the GPe program died out some time ago.

I can actually handle TouchWiz just fine. Used it since the S2. Stopped using it in the S4/Note 3because it was a bloated mess. They got their act together somewhat in the S5 and really improved it in the S6 underneath.

I hope there's more performance improvements in the S7.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
From playing around with S7s on display, it does look like there are huge performance improvements from S6 running Lollipop to S7 running Marshmallow. No more frequent frame drops in the UI that I could see from my hands on and vastly improved RAM management.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I think there's a number out there who might want that. Too bad the GPe program died out some time ago.

I can actually handle TouchWiz just fine. Used it since the S2. Stopped using it in the S4/Note 3because it was a bloated mess. They got their act together somewhat in the S5 and really improved it in the S6 underneath.

I hope there's more performance improvements in the S7.

I wasn't satisfied enough to use a Samsung device for a significant amount of time until this Note 5. Keyboard lag drove me nuts, as did the refreshing of the home screen. Since the hardware in the S7 Edge is even more powerful and they appear to have trimmed even more from Touchwiz, I expect it to be even better.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't satisfied enough to use a Samsung device for a significant amount of time until this Note 5. Keyboard lag drove me nuts, as did the refreshing of the home screen.

sorry, are you saying the Note 5 had those issues as well? Or are you saying they were fixed with the Note 5?

i skipped the Note 5 after the Note 4 drove me so nuts. but I love sammy and am coming back with a S7 edge, so I'm hoping they fixed those issues in the 5, so this beast should have no issues.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
sorry, are you saying the Note 5 had those issues as well? Or are you saying they were fixed with the Note 5?

i skipped the Note 5 after the Note 4 drove me so nuts. but I love sammy and am coming back with a S7 edge, so I'm hoping they fixed those issues in the 5, so this beast should have no issues.

I had issues with those things on everything prior to the Note 5. The S6 Edge suffered from it, but on a much smaller scale. I've had zero issues with the Note 5. If it wasn't for me switching phones 5-6 times a year, I'd stick with the Note 5.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't satisfied enough to use a Samsung device for a significant amount of time until this Note 5. Keyboard lag drove me nuts, as did the refreshing of the home screen. Since the hardware in the S7 Edge is even more powerful and they appear to have trimmed even more from Touchwiz, I expect it to be even better.

Nothing is worse for keyboards than trying to use SwiftKey on IOS lol

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: I can't find anything wrong

I'm with you but the 32gb versions are more a carries issue than Samsung. My opinion is that a phone that cost 800 ish should have 64Gb on board memory and memory card for those who want it

Posted via the Android Central App

This, so much this.

Posted via the Android Central App from my pearly white Galaxy S6, black Note 3 or Nexus 7

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Google's keyboard has been horrendous as of late, too. Not in the overall function, but the auto-correct has apparently degraded since Marshmallow. At least that was the official Google comment on it.

Interesting. I just switched to googles keyboard last week from my favorite Swype because it seems a lot more usable now. But my overall favorite is still Swype.

Every time I have to use my wife's iPhone 6 to text it drives me crazy. It's still the base tap tap tap keyboard. Feels so archaic compared to Android.

Posted via the Android Central App from my pearly white Galaxy S6, black Note 3 or Nexus 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aesthetics1