Snapdragon vs Exynos; benchmark comparisons

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm not trying to create a war between S7 owners in different regions, but if you're anything like me you might find this kind of stuff interesting, especially as both Qualcomm and Samsung now have their own custom-designed CPU cores.

Exynos 8890 Geekbench

Single-core: ~2100-2200
Multi-core: ~6400-6500

Received my S7 Edge today (dunno how), unboxing and questions - Page 4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3326121
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=65594209

Snapdragon 820 Geekbench

Single-core: ~2300-2400
Multi-core: ~5400-5500

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5023356
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5024647

I thought I'd create a thread so that (for anyone interested) we can discuss the difference in CPU/GPU benchmarks with Snapdragon and Exynos as more results come in from lucky people getting their S7s :)

Last edited:

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'll be honest... I don't really care about benchmarks so long as it works well.
Yeah, that's a very healthy attitude to have. No sarcasm intended.

I just like to compare because I'm a bit of a techie geek, it's interesting and exciting to see how Qualcomm and Samsung are doing with their respective brand new CPU architectures

I'm sure there's next to no difference in the real world experience of using the phone :)

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Those numbers are way down from some other results shown. Interesting, T-Mobile bloat affecting it?
Too early to base any concrete conclusions with just one sample from each. As soon as I find more results I'll add them to the OP and we can start to build a more accurate picture at what's going on :)

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
1786 and 3908 vs 2158 and 6494.
Sounds like a big difference but I know nothing about this stuff

Posted via the Android Central App

malikshuman

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I was still updating things when I ran the benchmark initially. Things look a little better now

Attachments

• 2238.jpg
    2238.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 321

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: I was still updating things when I ran the benchmark initially. Things look a little better now

Ah that's more like it! Good to see near equal parity between these processors. I'll update the OP with these new results.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Wow, big difference! I don't pay a ton of attention to benchmarks like Geekbench because they only tell part of the story, but the first results you posted were much lower than expected so this is somewhat of a relief.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
From these early results it looks like Snapdragon has a +7.6% advantage in single-core whilst the Exynos has a 21.5% advantage in multi-core. Subject to change as more results come in of course!

GPU performance still unknown with both.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
From these early results it looks like Snapdragon has a +7.6% advantage in single-core whilst the Exynos has a 21.5% advantage in multi-core. Subject to change as more results come in of course!

This looks like it is more in-tune with what was originally presented. Glad to see the update!

My theory is that the SD820 will get a slightly higher score due to the better GPU over the Exynos.

Either way, both SoC's are monsters.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm willing to bet that you won't see a difference between the 2 in daily usage. Both processors are pretty damn quick.

Maybe in games, but for streaming video, browsing the web and the norm, both are way more than adequate.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Here is mine. S7 Edge. T-Mobile. Texas.

Attachments

• 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 256

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Cheers!

Looks like ~2300 single core and 5400-5500 multi-core is the trend for the Snapdragon 820. Not bad at all.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Real world is key. Samsung might be up to their past "efforts" of spiking for synthetic tests. We shall see.......... ;)

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Real world is key. Samsung might be up to their past "efforts" of spiking for synthetic tests. We shall see.......... ;)

While real world is key, it is also a good thing to keep in mind that without bench-marking (not just the applications listed in this thread, but there are other ways of doing this, see below) two different devices with hard numbers, there is no way to quantify exactly how much quicker the components of the device are.

This test serves as one of the best tests for comparing a devices power at-a-glance. The other test I can think of is speed of launching and closing specific applications in succession.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Same here stopped running benchmarks or read too much into it from last couple of years. All I care is real world usage experience and if it makes any difference. Probably not in both variants of S7.
I'll be honest... I don't really care about benchmarks so long as it works well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much this.

They really don't matter now. Our current phones have become so powerful to the point where any increase in CPU performance yields little benefit in real-world performance. I just use benchmarks to brag.

The focus is now on software, efficiency and storage I/O performance.

For example, I recently flashed a GPe ROM on my old HTC One M7. That thing had a Snapdragon 600 that on mine, was overclocked slightly to 1.9GHz (small difference).

And honestly, even though its Antutu score was 45k compared to my LG G4's 70k, it's pretty damn quick in real-world usage, keeping up and sometimes outperforming my G4. Largely the same story against the S6, although the S6 was fairly quicker than the M7 and G4 (again, as expected), but not at what its Antutu score would lead you to believe.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
It's just a little bit of fun until Anandtech do their usual deep dive into the SOC architecture. I'm just one of those that are interested in that kind of thing. I'm not saying benchmarks are the be all and end all, because they're certainly not. But I like comparing things, I can't help my curiosity :)