Gear VR Promotion Success/Failure Thread: please post whether you are successful ...

cpsheba

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
IMO, their first mistake was offering two items with such a large difference in value. Let's face it, yes, some people may have truly wanted the VR, but the vast majority would have selected the S2. So for a company, who's business it is to run the promotion, to tell you they had no idea that there would be such a huge response to the promo is ludicrous. Right, a $300.00 device is offered for FREE WITH PURCHASE of a S7 to the customers of one of, if not, the largest mobile phone companies in the US, and you don't think there is going to be a huge response....get real...

LOL, the whole thing is starting to remind me of the car dealers that send out the you have won one of the following: $10,000.00, a 60" HDTV or a Transistor Radio...you know which one you're gonna get...

Last edited:

cpsheba

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm about 20 hours into the 24-hour callback "promise". If by some miracle I get a $200 ecert and that it works, I am thinking of getting the S2 classic. I looked at them at BB last night and the leather strap feels nice and the ridges around the ring is cool. At least it is thinner and lighter than the 3G S2. But it's $150 + tax I wouldn't have had to spend at all if I just got what I was entitled to and would have been happy enough with the verizon model, for free. Stupid random Samsung audit. I wonder how many people would have been rejected if they did a full audit of all submissions.

That is what I did...I got 1 classic and 2 of the others. But, I don't for one minute believe the Samsung audit thing. IMO, this is a completely made up event that they think will cover their a$$es...

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
What verizon could have done is limit the gear s2 to pre-orders only but purchased (ordered) from anywhere. No location code crap. Would have made it simpler for everyone. Pre-orders only would have limited the quantity to some degree and likely most would have ordered it online anyway as a pre-order (I would think?).
Edit: well thinking about it more, not sure how they'd deal with best buy, target, walmart etc doing their own VR deals also - I suppose the rules would be can only get S2 if didn't get a VR from them, somehow.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What verizon could have done is limit the gear s2 to pre-orders only but purchased (ordered) from anywhere. No location code crap. Would have made it simpler for everyone. Pre-orders only would have limited the quantity to some degree and likely most would have ordered it online anyway as a pre-order (I would think?).

What they could have done was keep track of the number of S2 claims and stop approving them once they met the number of S2's available for the promotion. That's probably the simplest line of code humanly possible to implement into their system... That would have kept it from even getting this far. I don't know how PL even wipes their own **** or even remembers to go the bathroom on their own after this mess of a promo...

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
What they could have done was keep track of the number of S2 claims and stop approving them once they met the number of S2's available for the promotion. That's probably the simplest line of code humanly possible to implement into their system... That would have kept it from even getting this far. I don't know how PL even wipes their own **** or even remembers to go the bathroom on their own after this mess of a promo...

I agree with that as #1. I am just trying to figure out how they could have avoided the location code mess unless that is really PL's fiction. If it's true maybe someone is working off a stale code list. Or maybe for this batch of the audit (assuming there was one) they had a software glitch that only checked the first code in the list! HA!

eddiechi

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
IMO, their first mistake was offering two items with such a large difference in value. Let's face it, yes, some people may have truly wanted the VR, but the vast majority would have selected the S2. So for a company, who's business it is to run the promotion, to tell you they had no idea that there would be such a huge response to the promo is ludicrous. Right, a $300.00 device is offered for FREE WITH PURCHASE of a S7 to the customers of one of, if not, the largest mobile phone companies in the US, and you don't think there is going to be a huge response....get real...

LOL, the whole thing is starting to remind me of the car dealers that send out the you have won one of the following: $10,000.00, a 60" HDTV or a Transistor Radio...you know which one your gonna get...

Huge response or not, that rhetoric are just talking points sent down from the suits above to pacify... it's not the huge response that is the issue or quantities available, it seems to be the samsung audit/location code which was self-inflicted or actually a calculated strategy since this has been an issue people have been dealing with since the first week of March when the emails started going out....

and the conflict today still continues with people still getting these denial emails today and then the PL reps claiming it's an error because of a samsung audit, and some reps stating " we just heard about this issue yesterday", makes it all seem contrived since they have known about this issue or "error" as they call it for almost 2 months but it continues to be their excuse but they use "huge response" as the shiny ball..."hey look over here".... we're sorry the huge response has us overwhelmed but do not worry about our clerical issues that can't seem to recognize a correct code and even though we have known about this for 2 months we have no urgency to remedy it, just enjoy your VR.

chrisdaman77

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I was told 4 weeks from when I called...but people who submitted after me are getting them now. This process stinks. I think I need to stay away from these boards, because as people who submitted after me receive them I get pissed off... happy for them but pissed off for me!!!!

I know the feeling

Somewhere on planet earth!

Cnicks

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I still have nothing in FedEx manager and no status change. The last contact I've had with PL other than the phone calls was an email I received from them on 4/18 about receiving it in may or until the summer.. I do not want a VR, so I'm content on waiting if that's what it takes..
Preordered phone 3/5
Received and Submitted 3/10
phone approval 3/12 received approval email 3/19

Posted via the Android Central App

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Got a package in the mail today and for a few seconds I was very excited. I opened it to find a VR headset:( I was told on the phone and via email that I was getting the S2. I called and before telling them what I had received I asked them to look me up in the system. They still show that I am to receive the S2. The web site shows that as well. When I told her what happened, she said that a manager would need to get back to me to clear this up. Wow, someone is loosing money on the shear volume of extra work that is happening because of "system glitches". I wonder if I will still get the S2 since the award web site is still showing my S2 will ship on 4/30.

tomstep2

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I ordered from bestbuy then I put my information in on 3/7 or 3/8. Cancelled it. Placed an order in at verizon on 3/9 for the silver titanium. Got the phone 3/18. Then submitted the MEID and receipt on 3/19. Approved 3/20. And shipping information was entered on 4/28, but didn't pop up on fedex delivery manager til today.

I ordered mine on VZW on 3/4/16 - Silver S7 Edge...on backorder with expected ship date of 3/31/16. I called VZW and was told that I may not get the S2 if I didn't receive the phone before promo ends but to enter my basic info on Samsung Promo page which I immediately did.

Received my phone on 3/18/16, immediately finished entering in Samsung Promo Page.

Received "Thanks for your offer claim!" email on 3/18/16.

Started checking samsung promo check status regularly. It showed approved about a week after I received the first email on 3/18/16. Noticed language on T & C's stated for VR. I emailed prizelogic via contact us button on 4/4/16 to verifty S2 or VR.

Received email response from Prizelogic on 4/8/16 that I am approved for the S2.

Status changed several times from in route to shipment pending, to in route, etc...

On 4/18/16 is when I get the submission approved and S2 may be May or Summer.

Status keeps changing from In Route to Shipment pending...

Still nothing showing in Fedex Delivery Manager.

So you submitted after me, both on pre-ordering the phone and submitting the promo and yours is on its way and I am still holding my breath...

The promo is what made me leave iPhone to come back and try Samsung and Android again...I have not had a Samsung device since the first Galaxy...Samsung Fascinate and I loved that phone.

Love the S7 Edge but may be going back to Apple in 2 years.

I'm sure I will have mine about the time football kicks off again...lol

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Got a package in the mail today and for a few seconds I was very excited. I opened it to find a VR headset:( I was told on the phone and via email that I was getting the S2. I called and before telling them what I had received I asked them to look me up in the system. They still show that I am to receive the S2. The web site shows that as well. When I told her what happened, she said that a manager would need to get back to me to clear this up. Wow, someone is loosing money on the shear volume of extra work that is happening because of "system glitches". I wonder if I will still get the S2 since the award web site is still showing my S2 will ship on 4/30.

That was actually a really smart approach to take on the phone call... That keeps them from coming with some type of BS excuse they would try if you just called telling them you got a VR instead of a S2...

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
.... I wonder if I will still get the S2 since the award web site is still showing my S2 will ship on 4/30.

This makes me laugh (no offense) because my status still shows processing with est. shipping date 4/1, and after getting it 3 days ago. And the site doesn't really say what you're getting. Yes it would be hilarious if they still sent me the S2 and the VR was an accidental shipment. It isn't like PL is aware what is shipped and when anyway (from what I can tell). Edit: this whole invalid location code was just water cooler information around the office, their computer tells them nothing. So first time they say oh, it must have been out of stock. Next time, oh, I heard about this invalid location code thing, it must be that. Their process is such a joke it's pathetic.

wheresmys2

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
During one of my recent PL calls, I was assured (again) that I would be receiving an S2 within 4-6 weeks. I'm still somewhat hopeful...but that puts me at late May into June.

Last edited:

LanceAllan

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
During one of my recent PL calls, I was told that there were actually 4 audits/levels of approval conducted by Samsung for this promotion. Of course, "you are definitely getting an S2 because you have passed all 4!" So, I used the logic (lol) that if they had not run out of S2s and they obviously hadn't since people were actually receiving them each day this week and I was approved, why didn't they just send mine since I submitted earlier than most of those who were getting theirs. There was a second or two of silence ( I assume she was trying to remember what the excuse was for that day) and said that they had no control over what the 3rd party fulfillment company chose to do. I was assured (again) that I would be receiving an S2 within 4-6 weeks. I'm still somewhat hopeful, but....I keep checking whenever I get home cuz I expect a VR any day now.

you should start calling brightpoint now ;)

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Lol. I think this thread has single handedly gotten me in to the "top posters" and "top liked" lists of the member shoutouts at the top of the page... I just noticed those were there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis