Silver S7 Edge - Almost Color Remorse

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Hello all!

Just like all of you I couldn't wait to receive my new S7 Edge. Upon receipt, I was in awe on how beautiful and shiny the silver color actually was. It's so shiny that it actually showcases finger and face oils after minimal use.

After configuring the device, and making some phone calls, I became quite grossed out on how much oil the phone shows off because of how reflective it is. Thankfully, I purchased the Skinomi Matte screen protector for the device.

After installation I was shocked on how much better the matte finish made the phone look. IMO the matte finish actually made the finish look like authentic sheet metal. It also does an amazing job at repelling oil.

If anyone is on the fence about choosing a screen protector I would definitely go with this one because before I installed it I was on the fence about exchanging it for another color.

Attachments

• 1457580185671.jpg
    1457580185671.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 231

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't really like the matte screens because they just don't show as much of the vibrant screen underneath and they just mess with viewing angles. I don't have an issue with fingerprints or oily stuff, tough, on the screen at least. I have a case so the back (where I did notice fingerprints galore before) is now smudge-free.

pst23

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I like the silver but the back glass shows every mark and blemish.

Hello all!

Just like all of you I couldn't wait to receive my new S7 Edge. Upon receipt, I was in awe on how beautiful and shiny the silver color actually was. It's so shiny that it actually showcases finger and face oils after minimal use.

After configuring the device, and making some phone calls, I became quite grossed out on how much oil the phone shows off because of how reflective it is. Thankfully, I purchased the Skinomi Matte screen protector for the device.

After installation I was shocked on how much better the matte finish made the phone look. IMO the matte finish actually made the finish look like authentic sheet metal. It also does an amazing job at repelling oil.

If anyone is on the fence about choosing a screen protector I would definitely go with this one because before I installed it I was on the fence about exchanging it for another color.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have to be honest. I bought a Zagg HD and after a flawless install last night I tore it off within about 10 minutes. I couldn't stand having anything on this screen as beautiful as it is. I am always rocking screen protectors for all my phones but this time I think I will go without. That screen and the Silver pops!!!

Best $25 I have ever wasted I guess.. Had to get it put it on there just to realize it myself.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I don't really like the matte screens because they just don't show as much of the vibrant screen underneath and they just mess with viewing angles. I don't have an issue with fingerprints or oily stuff, tough, on the screen at least. I have a case so the back (where I did notice fingerprints galore before) is now smudge-free.

My only gripe so far is that the screen seems grainy / pixelated. I can deal with the finger smudges but I make a lot of phone calls and was grossed out on how much face oil it shows off. I may use it without a protector but I'm on the fence. A scratch would drive me nuts.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I have to be honest. I bought a Zagg HD and after a flawless install last night I tore it off within about 10 minutes. I couldn't stand having anything on this screen as beautiful as it is. I am always rocking screen protectors for all my phones but this time I think I will go without. That screen and the Silver pops!!!

Best $25 I have ever wasted I guess.. Had to get it put it on there just to realize it myself.

I may take the gamble but I would hate for the thing to get scratched. The last phone I used w/o a screen protector was the iPhone 4 which was a scratch magnet. Every phone after that was protected. How does Gorilla Glass 4 hold up over time?

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I may take the gamble but I would hate for the thing to get scratched. The last phone I used w/o a screen protector was the iPhone 4 which was a scratch magnet. Every phone after that was protected. How does Gorilla Glass 4 hold up over time?

Trust me I am horrified as well but I have a pretty good track record of taking care of my phones so I am not too worried. I guess if anything bad really does happen then I guess that's what I pay the insurance for.

I do keep it in a case but I just couldn't deal with that screen protector last night after about 10 minutes. That screen is just too pretty to have a cover on it and I have never felt like that with any phone and I usually switch phones like socks. LOL.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Trust me I am horrified as well but I have a pretty good track record of taking care of my phones so I am not too worried. I guess if anything bad really does happen then I guess that's what I pay the insurance for.

I do keep it in a case but I just couldn't deal with that screen protector last night after about 10 minutes. That screen is just too pretty to have a cover on it and I have never felt like that with any phone and I usually switch phones like socks. LOL.

You and me both, I work with technology so I try to stay on the cutting edge. Other than potential scratches bugging me I try to retain the resale value. I've never had an issue with breaking screens my only concern is abrasion.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Glad you posted this. I wanted the silver but it was backordered so I got the black.

Hopefully they make the Note 6 in silver

Posted via the Android Central App

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
In the latest All About Android episode Florence Ion says her edge screen was easily scratched in her purse and shows her pretty deep gouges.

Yeah, I'm going to put a protector on mine when I get it...

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The ONLY one i will consider is the white one, which can be had for about 800 bucks on ebay... Yeah, its more than i want to spend, but fingerprints drive me CRAZY and protectors make my teeth itch...

All 3 of the US colors look like "glass petri dish experiments" after about one minute of being handled...

I might get flamed for this, but good lord, how is this not a crucial factor when designing a phone's finish? Surely there must be a couple of OCD afflicted employees on Samsung's design team?! Do they not "speak up?!

I'd even consider going with a different phone altogether, but Samsung ALMOST nailed it this time, and its a "must have" for me...

Good ol' Samsung, you "giveth & taketh" as always...

BTC

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
The ONLY one i will consider is the white one, which can be had for about 800 bucks on ebay... Yeah, its more than i want to spend, but fingerprints drive me CRAZY and protectors make my teeth itch...

All 3 of the US colors look like "glass petri dish experiments" after about one minute of being handled...

I might get flamed for this, but good lord, how is this not a crucial factor when designing a phone's finish? Surely there must be a couple of OCD afflicted employees on Samsung's design team?! Do they not "speak up?!

I'd even consider going with a different phone altogether, but Samsung ALMOST nailed it this time, and its a "must have" for me...

Good ol' Samsung, you "giveth & taketh" as always...

BTC

I was yelling at the screen when I noticed that they weren't releasing the white one for that same reason. The only reason why I bought it was because I couldn't look at my iPhone anymore. Samsung has finally future proofed Apple's hardware for many years to come.