Re-flashing latest S7 Edge firmware using Odin, FAILs at hidden.img(.lz4)

augstarr

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

While trying to make space on my old S7 Edge SMG935F using a third party app to clear app caches, it suddenly went black, and came back up with the message in red: 'Custom Binary Blocked By FRP Lock'. I bought this phone new from 1&1 quite a few years ago, so I don't understand why I am being blocked. At this screen with this message, I was not given an option to enter my google account details.

After googling online looking for a solution, I tried to re-flash using Odin (versions: 3.14.1, and then 3.13.3) with the latest firmware from sammobile for Germany 1&1.

After selecting BL, AP, CP and HOME_CSC files in Odin and 'Start'ing the flash process, the downloading to my phone reaches 99% and always 'FAIL's on the file: hidden.img.

I have looked on various forums, and see that there are a few solutions. The solutions I have seen involve either:-

- extracting/deleting hidden.img from the firmware .md5 file, and then repeat flash of the updated .md5 file now without the file: hidden.img,

or...

- extracting the file: hidden.img and then re-flashing it separately.

Both of these solutions involve finding the file: hidden.img in the AP firmware .md5 file, and then re-flashing using the 'AP' button option of Odin.

The firmware for my version includes: BL, AP, CP, CSC and HOME_CSC .md5 files. My understanding is that I need to use the HOME_CSC file to preserve my files after re-flashing and rebooting. This is what I want to do, to preserve my contacts, call history, whatsapp data etc.

After extraction and searching all of these above files, only in the CSC and HOME_CSC .md5 files did I find a hidden.img file contained with the extension: '.lz4', hidden.img.lz4.

The extracted HOME_CSC contains a directory: 'meta-data' which contains a text file: 'download-list.txt' which contains/lists the following:-

sboot.bin
cm.bin
system.img
cache.img
hidden.img
boot.img
recovery.img
modem.bin
up_param.bi

Do you know what I need to do to solve this problem? Is it something like the following or something else?

Remove/delete the file: hidden.img.lz4 from the HOME_CSC?
Remove the hidden.img entry from the download-list.txt?
Archive/tar the resulting files, and add an '.md5' extension to a file with a new name, e.g. HOME_CSC_without_hidden_img.tar.md5.
Use Odin to flash with this updated file instead?

I am worried about causing irreparable damage before trying anything. Do you know if any of the above are dangerous to do, i.e. will brick the mobile?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and responding.

I found and downloaded the firmware entitled: G935FXXU8ETI2_G935FXEG8ETI2_XEG from sammobile.com.
Welcome:)

Have you tried different USB ports on computer and cables ?

Also try downloading the firmware from frija , that u can get from XDA Forums

augstarr

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

I downloaded Frija v1.4.3 and used it to download the firmware again. A binary comparison shows that the firmware files are identical with the files that I downloaded from sammobile.com.

I tried flashing with Odin again on another laptop with another USB cable and it continues to fail on the same file: hidden.img.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

I downloaded Frija v1.4.3 and used it to download the firmware again. A binary comparison shows that the firmware files are identical with the files that I downloaded from sammobile.com.

I tried flashing with Odin again on another laptop with another USB cable and it continues to fail on the same file: hidden.img.
Try latest Odin from XDA site and also try Prince Comsey patch Odin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz