Speed of MicroSD Card Reader?

dyna mike

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi there. Does anybody know the speed of the microSD slot on the S7 edge? I bought the 200 gig Sandisk, and it offers speeds up to 90MB/s, but apparently they are releasing a card in 64gb and 128 that runs at 275mb/s. Is this utilizable with the current technology in the Edge, or is it overkill?

I would post the link, but my post count isn't high enough yet. (10 posts required.) Just google "SanDisk Launches Next-Generation microSD™ Card Featuring World’s Fastest Transfer Speed" if you want to read about it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
To answer the OP, I haven't been able to find the specs for the port, so I'm not sure if it supports UHS-3 cards or only UHS-1 cards.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm positive it only does UHS-I cards (U1 & U3) as UHS-II requires a second set of pins which the S7/Edge doesn't have. The microSD reader on the S7 and Edge models do not have the second row of pins required for the higher speeds. It is "compatible" with UHS-II devices but at the slower speeds. So this ends that for sure. I have no idea why Samsung went with superfast memory on the S6 and raved about microSD cards lowing everything down and then did a 180 on the S7 and making 32GB the only model with no UHS-II?