I got problems with finger print reader on my Galaxy S7 Edge

A

AC Question

I got this message quite often:
"enter PIN instead of using fingerprint recognition after restarting device to to protect fingerprints"
After that I need to use PIN number. It looks like phone reboots itself in background.
Also when my battery goes to level of 30ish percent and below that, it seems to happen more often and I think I saw it rebooting itself. But its not like full reboot only more like some sort of refresh. It refreshes whole screen and goes to blocked mode and when I want to unlock it I need to use PIN number because I got message I quoted earlier.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've definitely noticed that I have to use a pin to unlock after I restart my phone. I can't think of a single reason as to why they implemented this stupid feature. It's just annoying. I should at least be able to disable that "feature." I haven't had any issues with my phone restarting by itself though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've definitely noticed that I have to use a pin to unlock after I restart my phone. I can't think of a single reason as to why they implemented this stupid feature. It's just annoying. I should at least be able to disable that "feature." I haven't had any issues with my phone restarting by itself though.

On the Nexus 6P, with fingerprint enabled, I have to enter my pattern unlock when cold booting.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
It's a Marshmallow "feature" extra security I guess...
As for the OP's problem, it doesn't sound right. Try the cache wipe as already suggested and see where you are.

jamjestrysiek

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi
I just signed in :)

Yesterday I restored phone to default setting and installed everything from scratch, but at the end of a day things started to be dodgy again and today from the morning phone was doing same thing. I had to use PIN code quite few time, same like I saw this alert again few times.
I cleared cache and I'll keep an eye on how phone will react and let you know did it helped or not.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi
I just signed in :)

Yesterday I restored phone to default setting and installed everything from scratch, but at the end of a day things started to be dodgy again and today from the morning phone was doing same thing.

If it's still doing it, boot the phone into safe mode and see if it's happening. If not, it's probably one or more of your apps causing it.

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
My sony Z5 used to do the same after a reboot asking for the pin first and then i could use the fingerprint after that.

I don't really see it as a big deal.

jamjestrysiek

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
You see I don't reboot my phone and it still happens.
I don't mind to do it after reboot I did, but when it happens quite a few times a day without me rebooting my phone, then I think that something is not right.

jamjestrysiek

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday after cleaning cache it was better at the beginning but later it started to do it again.
I put my phone in safe mode today and I'll see if this will help.
I will let you know guys how it goes.
And thanks all for your help so far :)

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just got my edge yesterday and finding the fingerprint reader a bit unreliable despite deleting and putting the fingerprints in again several times. I was locked out for 5 minutes earlier.

What I have found gives more success is when I press the home button to wake the screen, i then keep it pressed until it unlocks. What I was doing before is press to wake screen then just leave my finger on the home button. It sometimes works but seems more consistent keeping it pressed. Maybe more pressure gives a better reading?

Does anyone else keep it pressed? If having problems try it and see if it helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I have found that people are continuing to use the same press point with their finger every time it asks you to apply your finger. You have to really use SEVERAL different press points from several different parts of the finger, so that it captures every possible press point. Otherwise it's going to take longer to unlock your phone.

I have not had a single problem unlocking my phone in a timely matter.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have found that people are continuing to use the same press point with their finger every time it asks you to apply your finger. You have to really use SEVERAL different press points from several different parts of the finger, so that it captures every possible press point. Otherwise it's going to take longer to unlock your phone.

I have not had a single problem unlocking my phone in a timely matter.

I mapped my entire fingerprint as far as I could in the number of reads available and still ended up having problems.

Do you just rest your finger on the home button then rather than having to keep it pressed down?

jamjestrysiek

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Just quick update.
It turned that it was one application which caused all this problems.
Torch which I used had this option to to have quick access on blocked screen.
I switched it off and now everything is smooth and fast.
No problems with fingerprint reader and no weird notifications.
I can also use Micro SD card without any problems. The only notification about card I have after when I'll reboot my phone.
Thanks for help all of you guys :)

Edward bell

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
There is not a scratch on the phone. It is in pristine condition. The only problem is the finger print reader which is not working. The man in the Samsung shop said that there was a crack in the home button. My wife took a picture and there is clearly no crack. They said it wasn't wear and tear it was damaged. I have only used the home button as directed by Samsung so cannot understand why he thought it was damaged. I have a cover on my phone. I haven't dropped it or used anything other than my finger. I feel annoyed that I was accused of damaging the home button but I have only used it as directed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member