Unlock Verizon Galaxy S7 Edge to T Mobile

A

AC Question

Ok guys, here's the thing, I have a Verizon GS7 Edge...of course it's "unlocked" however, appearantly two of the radio bands are not available when using my T- mobile sim? I have a a new simple card, I've used android exclusively since the HTC Google phone, and I've used Galaxy exclusively since the Galaxy 1 w/ slide out keyboard. I've unlock a few phones in my day Blackberry included. I've never had service issue after an unlocked, currently my phone is often on the "H" band frequency??? And the data is definitely not moving as fast as it should. Add to that the "SIM not for Verizon Wireless" notification will not leave. I know I have to do my updates manually, but unless it's been way to long, I thought I remembered my current simple carriers suite of bloatware/ products being available once on said network. Any info is greatly appreciated, extra points for good sarcasm. Thank in advance!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Ok guys, here's the thing, I have a Verizon GS7 Edge...of course it's "unlocked" however, appearantly two of the radio bands are not available when using my T- mobile sim? I have a a new simple card, I've used android exclusively since the HTC Google phone, and I've used Galaxy exclusively since the Galaxy 1 w/ slide out keyboard. I've unlock a few phones in my day Blackberry included. I've never had service issue after an unlocked, currently my phone is often on the "H" band frequency??? And the data is definitely not moving as fast as it should. Add to that the "SIM not for Verizon Wireless" notification will not leave. I know I have to do my updates manually, but unless it's been way to long, I thought I remembered my current simple carriers suite of bloatware/ products being available once on said network. Any info is greatly appreciated, extra points for good sarcasm. Thank in advance!

Congratulations! You are the proud owner of the most locked down and restricted phone on the planet.... the Verizon carrier branded, minority variant of the Galaxy S7 Edge.

Kim Jong-un, Supreme Leader of North Korea, lies awake at night, wondering how he can obtain the same totalitarian control over his people that Verizon has over their paying customers!

This CDMA phone, whilst functioning to a certain degree on its own, Verizon, CDMA network, is a nightmare to use on any other carrier, particularly GSM networks.

The phone has a mega locked down bootloader that prevents rooting or flashing custom ROMs or other carriers firmwares.

It will only partially operate on the T-Mobile (USA) GSM network as follows. 2G is fine on 1900 MHz. 3G will only work on 1900 MHz and 4G/LTE will only work on Band 4-AWS and Band 2-1900MHz (not Band 12-700 MHz).

Also, unlike all other Galaxy phones, apart from AT&T, firmware updates are NOT released directly from Samsung but instead, are pushed, after heavy modification, OTA by Verizon themselves. Therefore, if you are not registered on the Verizon network, your phone will no longer be updated.

As for manually flashing the Verizon updates, since they are not available from the usual Samsung download sources, SamMobile and Samsung Live, in Odin flashable, .tar format, your current firmware and security date could well be your last.

To put it bluntly... with Verizon's cloneware, you're well and truly, screwed!

Now... how many points do I get? :D

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With regards to updates, you can use the Verizon update utility which works even without a Verizon sim (or any sim installed for that matter). You can also take it to a Samsung service center or a Samsung staffed best buy.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
With regards to updates, you can use the Verizon update utility which works even without a Verizon sim (or any sim installed for that matter). You can also take it to a Samsung service center or a Samsung staffed best buy.

That's a new one on me. The Verizon Updater Utility. I have not heard of that before. So, does that mean that one can now update direct from Verizon without being registered on their network? Is this a new feature as in the past one needed to be registered on the Verizon network to download and install the updates.

I do know from posters on the S5 forum that Samsung Service Points do not always have the latest Verizon firmware available to flash.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's a new one on me. The Verizon Updater Utility. I have not heard of that before. So, does that mean that one can now update direct from Verizon without being registered on their network? Is this a new feature?

I do know from posters on the S5 forum that Samsung Service Points do not always have the latest Verizon firmware available to flash.

On the note 5, it comes up first when you connect to a pc,then if you don't do anything it will go to mtp mode. On the pc, you can download any updates available and apply it. You also need administrator privileges on the pc (could be an issue with some locked down work computers).

On the s7, there should be an option in the notification pull down (one of the other options besides mtp).

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
On the note 5, it comes up first when you connect to a pc,then if you don't do anything it will go to mtp mode. On the pc, you can download any updates available and apply it. You also need administrator privileges on the pc (could be an issue with some locked down work computers).

On the s7, there should be an option in the notification pull down (one of the other options besides mtp).

Duly noted. That's interesting as one of the biggest complaints from Verizon model owners, up until now, who were not resident in the U.S. or had switched carriers, was that they could not update their phones unless they were actually registered on the Verizon, or AT&T, networks. Sure, it would check for and start to download the update but then stop.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It will only partially operate on the T-Mobile (USA) GSM network as follows. 2G is fine on 1900 MHz. 3G will only work on 1900 MHz and 4G/LTE will only work on Band 4-AWS and Band 2-1900MHz (not Band 12-700 MHz).

D

1900mhz on h+ would be considered 4g by tmobile and att. Afaik, they are the only two carriers in the world who identify h+ as 4g,Everyone else considers it 3g. On Verizon, they chose to use the h/h+ identifier when connected to hspa/hspa+ networks such as tmobile 3g/4g.

The Verizon variant will display Verizon's 4GLTE logo when connected to an lte network(even when not on Verizon - I was able to connect to 4GLTE on SK Telecom on my s7's birth country)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Duly noted. That's interesting as one of the biggest complaints from Verizon model owners, up until now, who were not resident in the U.S. or had switched carriers, was that they could not update their phones unless they were actually registered on the Verizon, or AT&T, networks. Sure, it would check for and start to download the update but then stop.

The Verizon version will not do it OTA without a Verizon sim, you must use the Verizon update utility. I have personally done it on an older Galaxy device without the sim just to test.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah, good ol Verizon... So much bloat it spills over into the computer you plug their phones into.
If you don't do anything then it would just skip... You don't have to install. Hey, at least they give you an option to update WITHOUT being on Verizon. On att, you don't even have that option.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you don't do anything then it would just skip... You don't have to install. Hey, at least they give you an option to update WITHOUT being on Verizon. On att, you don't even have that option.

Yeah... Verizon isn't totally horrid.. I have a Moto G and Moto E that I picked up for cheap at various Verizon Pre-Paid Black Friday sales.. neither ever activated on their Network. Both ended up getting updates, including the G to 5.0.1. I think, eventually, they flush updates out to everything that connects, regardless of their network status.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... Verizon isn't totally horrid.. I have a Moto G and Moto E that I picked up for cheap at various Verizon Pre-Paid Black Friday sales.. neither ever activated on their Network. Both ended up getting updates, including the G to 5.0.1. I think, eventually, they flush updates out to everything that connects, regardless of their network status.
The OTA for non verizon sim might be prepaid only. My moto e 2nd gen and moto g both received OTA but none of my post paid received OTA,no matter how long I waited until I either popped in a Verizon sim or used the Verizon update utility

Defenseless Nuke

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Congratulations! You are the proud owner of the most locked down and restricted phone on the planet.... the Verizon carrier branded, minority variant of the Galaxy S7 Edge.

Kim Jong-un, Supreme Leader of North Korea, lies awake at night, wondering how he can obtain the same totalitarian control over his people that Verizon has over their paying customers!

[url]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/ironass01/Kim-Jong-Un_zpsdvfchcbz.jpg[/URL]

This CDMA phone, whilst functioning to a certain degree on its own, Verizon, CDMA network, is a nightmare to use on any other carrier, particularly GSM networks.

The phone has a mega locked down bootloader that prevents rooting or flashing custom ROMs or other carriers firmwares.

Also, unlike all other Galaxy phones, apart from AT&T, firmware updates are NOT released directly from Samsung but instead, are pushed, after heavy modification, OTA by Verizon themselves. Therefore, if you are not registered on the Verizon network, your phone will no longer be updated.

As for manually flashing the Verizon updates, since they are not available from the usual Samsung download sources, SamMobile and Samsung Live, in Odin flashable, .tar format, your current firmware and security date could well be your last.

To put it bluntly... with Verizon's cloneware, you're well and truly, screwed!

[url]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/ironass01/verizon-screwed_zps0js4ffly.jpg[/URL]

Now... how many points do I get? :D

You are definitely the winer, I mean whiner, I mean winner!!! Still getting the hang of this forum, but your info is valued, sarcasm appreciated!

repny2dafullest

May 18, 2011
Visit site

These people don't know what they are talking about. For one Root has been obtained already. Two what I've done is flashed the g935u firmware and kept it stock. Official firmware from a samsung unlocked s7 edge. I have all the band's and almost everything working. The only thing that does not work is the native video calling. You get rid of all that Verizon and Samsung bloat ware, and are left with the basics of bloat ware. Definitely improves over all performance. Just Google g935u for g935v there is a thread over at xda that I know of for sure. Good luck!

luca992

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had a problem making outgoing calls this past week. Just figured out that disabling "Caller Name ID" then restarting my phone lets me make outgoing calls again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2