How do you guys buy your phones?

HollowGrapeJ98

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
The flagship phones that come out nowadays usually cost $600-$700+. So how do you manage to get your hands on them? Do you pay for monthly installments? Purchase full price? Or what?

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Carrier subsidy. Lol. Honestly I don't know how my carrier would be doing it, but the S7 Edge is priced at around $800 here, and I'm just paying a monthly contract of $40 for it, inclusive of the carrier services, for 24mos. Basically thats unlimited calling and texts and mobile internet for 24 mos at just $160.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Bought my last 4 phones outright from Amazon or direct (Nexus4, G2, G4, S7 edge). In the beginning it was to give me the freedom not to have a contract but now luckily my job gives me a new iPhone every year so I can sell it to buy my own.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I buy most of my phones on Swappa.com. I let someone else pay full price and then I'll get it for at least a couple hundred less on Swappa depending on how old the phone is.

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Verizon has a plan where you pay monthly installments until you reach 75% paid off then you qualify for an upgrade. I'm essentially leasing my phone with the option to upgrade when ever I want (assuming I have the money to pay off 3/4th the value of my current device)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I definitely do monthly installments with my carrier. I've sometimes wondered about doing an unlocked deal, but I don't think I can justify such a big purchase. I'd rather pay less over a longer period of time to equal up to the same price.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Kijij mainly for me, but will usually grab a new one on contract when I have my upgrade then sell it and get what I want, also trades are good way of trying different phones.
Tho this time when contract over I will stay on month to month cos one can save money plus I find used flagship phones can be bought cheaper used.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I buy them unlocked when the price drops a bit. B&H Photo is one of my favorite places. If they don't have the phone and I really want it, I buy from sellers (Ebay, Amazon) that I can return the phone to, with ease.

My iPhone is the oddball, bought a 5s for low, and traded it in to get that direct discount from the Apple Store (with the SIM-free version of course).

Ever since I left Verizon, I don't bother with contracts.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The flagship phones that come out nowadays usually cost $600-$700+. So how do you manage to get your hands on them? Do you pay for monthly installments? Purchase full price? Or what?

Usually through the carrier store -- or Swappa.

BTW .. Nice avatar, Ryuko-San! :).

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I finance it through tmobile. There is no contract, and once I pay off the phone I can get it unlocked. The other thing is by financing it at 0%. With inflation, my money is worth more now. I would rather pay it down later. :)

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Here's a question for those that buy used. I would be wondering what's up with the phone to make them sell. Has anyone had bad experiences buying used.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Here's a question for those that buy used. I would be wondering what's up with the phone to make them sell. Has anyone had bad experiences buying used.

It depends. Most people who sell on Swappa usually are willing to tell why they are selling and they are individuals. As for companies on the other hand, most of the used stuff sold is usually customer returns for possibly anything, but the big thing is that it didn't work in their area, or they didn't like it. For some phones, they were even store demo units that have never been activated.

I haven't had any bad experiences personally. For individuals, feel free to ask questions. For me, I feel more comfortable ordering through Swappa and Ebay (read feeback, very important!) Companies sell on Ebay too, just always be sure to read feedback.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Swappa sellers have various reasons.

- They are upgrading.
- They didn't like the phone but still in great or good condition.
- They are getting rid of older phones/tablets because they are just lying around.
- They need the money.
- They want to sell on a reputable site and not deal w/hassle of Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc.

That's just some I can think of right now.

It's just like selling anything else. Swappa is a very good site and highly recommended

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Swappa sellers have various reasons.

- They are upgrading.
- They didn't like the phone but still in great or good condition.
- They are getting rid of older phones/tablets because they are just lying around.
- They need the money.
- They want to sell on a reputable site and not deal w/hassle of Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc.

That's just some I can think of right now.

It's just like selling anything else. Swappa is a very good site and highly recommended

I second this. Also some people do sell phones that were never opened, got my most recent phone from someone there who never opened the phone.