Always on - all pixels illuminated with a dull glow

John_Ryan

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
s7 Edge on Verizon, updated to 6.0.1

I first noticed this Tuesday night, October 4. I had turned off all the lights and noticed a slight glow coming from the screen of my phone. After picking it up I noticed that the entire screen seemed to be illuminated, rather than just the pixels for displaying the time.

I tried a cache partition wipe and then a factory reset, but the behavior is the same.

When plugging in the charger there is a brief glimpse of the properly functioning always on screen, then it illuminates. The problem occurs 100% of the time.

I have since kept always on disabled. Anyone know what is going on here?

Macy72

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Sorry can't help with your problem. But the same thing happens to me when using the night clock. Hope someone can help us both.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue - specifically with Night Clock, and not Always On though. Factory reset didn't fix it. Loading the software from smartswitch didn't fix it. Replaced the phone. That fixed it.

Last edited:

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This exact thing happened on my N4 a few years back. Made it unusable for a bedside clock. I had VZW insurance so they swapped me out. My husband took it in for me and he said that the VZW said that it was not an uncommon problem. Wish I had more info for you as to what the actual problem was.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
How did you report the issue? Which carrier?

Verizon.

Brought the phone in, and showed them a picture I took of it in a dark room. Phone was plainly glowing.

He told me it was an artifact of the screen, and how it interacts with a camera.

I said, "Fine. Got a dark room?"

We went into their stock-room and turned of the lights, and the phone was plainly glowing.

He said, "Oh, they all do that."

I pulled my wife's identical phone out of my other pocket, showed it to him, and said, "No. No, they do not."

John_Ryan

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Verizon.

Brought the phone in, and showed them a picture I took of it in a dark room. Phone was plainly glowing.

He told me it was an artifact of the screen, and how it interacts with a camera.

I said, "Fine. Got a dark room?"

We went into their stock-room and turned of the lights, and the phone was plainly glowing.

He said, "Oh, they all do that."

I pulled my wife's identical phone out of my other pocket, showed it to him, and said, "No. No, they do not."

Did they replace it with a new model or one of the refurbished models that they call like new?

I was able to get a replacement sent based on an online chat in myverizon. Undermined if the replacement is new or like new.

FWIW - I tried the always on software update today and it did not fix the problem. So weird since this only started about two weeks ago and the phone was absolutely fine since August.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Did they replace it with a new model or one of the refurbished models that they call like new?

I was able to get a replacement sent based on an online chat in myverizon. Undermined if the replacement is new or like new.

FWIW - I tried the always on software update today and it did not fix the problem. So weird since this only started about two weeks ago and the phone was absolutely fine since August.

I do not know if the phone was refurbished. It appeared cosmetically perfect and operates similarly.

Jainil Govind

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
same problem happened to me with my galaxy s7 edge; I have been trying to fix it since last 2 days and I have no clue whether it's a software or hardware problem. :(