S7e & V20 Audio

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely an audiophile. Every since I was a little girl music has been an extremely important part of my life. ...and it has remained so all of my life. To know that we can have this kind of quality as offered up by today's flagships is absolutely tremendous. Sorry Sony. I won't buying your $1000 portable audio dohicky, no need.

There's been a lot of talk about the LG V20's (and V10 before that) audio prowess. ...and rightly so. Both on paper and to my ears it sounds really nice with a clarity right up there with my Oppo HA-1 and Senn HD-650s. Not bassy, but clear. For a smartphone's audio, it really is something special.

I haven't heard a lot about the S7e's audio and that's a damn shame because it sounds really really good. With the UHQ upscaler enabled it offers such a nice full clean sound with a bit more low-end punch than the Vx0 offers. It may be just equalization or smoke and mirrors (I've said this before) but it sounds really good. I've paired the S7e with Grado GS2000e Statements, AKG K712, and (lowly, I know) Bose QC25.

It consistently offers up an exciting punchy sound that I could listen to all day. Where the V20 is notable for its clarity the S7e and its UHQ Upscaler offers excitement that is a crime to ignore.

Samsung should trumpet this loudly.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I really like the clean and clear audio produced by my S7 edge. It's the best sounding phone I've had so far. I have the UHQ Upscaler enabled.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely an audiophile. Every since I was a little girl music has been an extremely important part of my life. ...and it has remained so all of my life. To know that we can have this kind of quality as offered up by today's flagships is absolutely tremendous. Sorry Sony. I won't buying your $1000 portable audio dohicky, no need.

There's been a lot of talk about the LG V20's (and V10 before that) audio prowess. ...and rightly so. Both on paper and to my ears it sounds really nice with a clarity right up there with my Oppo HA-1 and Senn HD-650s. Not bassy, but clear. For a smartphone's audio, it really is something special.

I haven't heard a lot about the S7e's audio and that's a damn shame because it sounds really really good. With the UHQ upscaler enabled it offers such a nice full clean sound with a bit more low-end punch than the Vx0 offers. It may be just equalization or smoke and mirrors (I've said this before) but it sounds really good. I've paired the S7e with Grado GS2000e Statements, AKG K712, and (lowly, I know) Bose QC25.

It consistently offers up an exciting punchy sound that I could listen to all day. Where the V20 is notable for its clarity the S7e and its UHQ Upscaler offers excitement that is a crime to ignore.

If you really want to go the extra mile, download Poweramp from the playstore.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I use Grado at home with a full cyrus system and Sennheiser for out and about. I find the UHQ setting not to my liking at all but use Samsungs EQ for Spotify Premium.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The only weak point of the S7 to me is the amp.

Just kinda weak in comparison to some of its rivals. You won't notice it until you step up to headphones that are harder to drive.

The DAC is functional and capable but at its best, I feel that the V20 outperforms it. Note that I had to say "at its best" because you may not get the full tricks of that DAC depending on what headphones you plug into.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The only weak point of the S7 to me is the amp.

Just kinda weak in comparison to some of its rivals. You won't notice it until you step up to headphones that are harder to drive.

The DAC is functional and capable but at its best, I feel that the V20 outperforms it. Note that I had to say "at its best" because you may not get the full tricks of that DAC depending on what headphones you plug into.
There's no question the V20's ESS9218 is superior with its headphone amp (I don't think the S7e has anything of note concerning a headphone amp). The V20 can function well as your only headphone powering rig. I'm not sure the S7e would do well with higher impedance cans.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
There's no question the V20's ESS9218 is superior with its headphone amp (I don't think the S7e has anything of note concerning a headphone amp). The V20 can function well as your only headphone powering rig. I'm not sure the S7e would do well with higher impedance cans.

Attach a Dragonfly Black (or red for VERY difficult to drive HP's) and it will.

Sorted.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I had the v10. Besides being such an uncomfortable beast because of size, the audio wasn't as impressive as they made it out to be. After reading many articles on phone audio and listening to many phones, the very best audio can be had on a 300.00,and 400.00 phones. The ZTE axon 7, and axon 7 mini. Comes with specially designed dac amps AND DOLBY ATMOS. the sound is nothing short of spectacular through the speakers and headphones. Because I love my S7 edge, I chose the mini mostly for music and video reproduction. And as a backup phone. For only 300.00 bucks, its an incredible device. Next time I buy a main phone, I'm going to check out ZTE to see what they have to offer.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised to read that the V20's sonic experience isn't that much better than the S7 Edge.

I thought hard about getting a V20'S late last year before deciding to go with the S7 Edge.

Ultimately Battery Life, Design and Protection (Water & Dust Resistance) won over Sound Quality and I went with S7 Edge.