SOLID Information on Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge Nougat Update???

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes AT&T did not allow its users to get into the Beta Program. They like to have too much control over their software and Junk. So it is No telling when AT&T may release Nougat for its customers. Maybe after S8 is out to help sales of S8 for them.

Thanks to the folks over at xda, you don't have to wait for the OTA as 7.0 can be pulled from their test servers. I downloaded it this afternoon, updated and on it now.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's listed under the At&t s7 edge. I don't even think these will work on the s7 for AT&T.

Battery life is great. After the updated resolution switched to full hd instead of qhd. Still looks great.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Seeing reports now that the battery is not as good now as it was in the first betas, and of course get some saying the battery needs to settle in. The battery didn't need to settle in on the first few betas, now it does.

This is my conspiracy thinking going off. The S8 is about to drop, just as the new software is suppose to drop for the older phones. The battery seems to take a hit on all the OS updates just around the time new phones are released. You see where I'm going with this??. Person gets tired of dealing with bad battery life, they want to get a new phone since the last update screwed up my old phone. Maybe the updates are intended to ruin battery life, can't sell new phones as fast if they keep working perfect. This happens on so many updates and they seem to be close to the release of the new version phone.

I was excited for the update on the reports of the battery being better in the beta, but now with the latest beta battery reports are all of a sudden bad.. Makes me think, to convenient. I think i will just keep blocking the update now.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Seeing reports now that the battery is not as good now as it was in the first betas, and of course get some saying the battery needs to settle in. The battery didn't need to settle in on the first few betas, now it does.

This is my conspiracy thinking going off. The S8 is about to drop, just as the new software is suppose to drop for the older phones. The battery seems to take a hit on all the OS updates just around the time new phones are released. You see where I'm going with this??. Person gets tired of dealing with bad battery life, they want to get a new phone since the last update screwed up my old phone. Maybe the updates are intended to ruin battery life, can't sell new phones as fast if they keep working perfect. This happens on so many updates and they seem to be close to the release of the new version phone.

I was excited for the update on the reports of the battery being better in the beta, but now with the latest beta battery reports are all of a sudden bad.. Makes me think, to convenient. I think i will just keep blocking the update now.

So Google - the developer of the OS - is colluding with phone manufacturers to produce an OS that negatively impacts the battery life of current phones to drive up demand for new phones? Not likely.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So Google - the developer of the OS - is colluding with phone manufacturers to produce an OS that negatively impacts the battery life of current phones to drive up demand for new phones? Not likely.
If it was happening, we would never know. Money makes people do crazy things. I did say this is my conspiracy thinking

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's listed under the At&t s7 edge. I don't even think these will work on the s7 for AT&T.

Battery life is great. After the updated resolution switched to full hd instead of qhd. Still looks great.
So it's been pretty stable so far ? I may try to update mine over the weekend.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Does a person need to Root to do that and does it trip Knox ?

No root necessary. I can't tell you for sure if it will trip KNOX because I don't use my device for work. (Isn't KNOX on a separate partition or something like that?)

Just a few tips (they're listed over at XDA as well). If you're going to install Nougat via ADB, you'll need to make sure the Samsung usb device drivers are being used and not the generic windows ones. Once you get your device connected and ADB is communicating with it, all you have to do is type in a command and let it do the rest. 30-40 minutes is what it takes.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So it's been pretty stable so far ? I may try to update mine over the weekend.

So far so good.

What I've noticed so far:
WiFi calling isn't quite sorted out yet. (Please try activating wifi calling later)
Icon Packs are enabled in the Galaxy App store
There is some little cat icon with ???? in the pull down menu. He also appears while swiping the Nougat logo under system information.
I'm really diggin the performance optimizer which lets you know you if you are getting best battery life possible.
Device performance is very snappy

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If it was happening, we would never know. Money makes people do crazy things. I did say this is my conspiracy thinking

I too think that there are some inner workings between a carrier and manufacturer (not so much Google) to make customers want to upgrade after 2 years. Will they sabotage the OS, force bloatware, degrade battery performance through updating? I don't think so.

Its more of like, S7 releases in 2016 with 2015 Marshmallow. Nougat released to manufacturers in 2016, with a S7 update to Nougat in 2017. The cycle repeats, with the S8. In 2018, which is year 2 for the S7, Oreo or whatever the next OS arrives.

Its the nature of the industry, to make such great improvements, that yesterday's devices are no longer the cream of the crop. They'll still work, but AT&T and Samsung don't want people using devices that are paid off after 2 years which is probably why they say 2 years guaranteed updates.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So far so good.

What I've noticed so far:
WiFi calling isn't quite sorted out yet. (Please try activating wifi calling later)
Icon Packs are enabled in the Galaxy App store
There is some little cat icon with ???? in the pull down menu. He also appears while swiping the Nougat logo under system information.
I'm really diggin the performance optimizer which lets you know you if you are getting best battery life possible.
Device performance is very snappy

Thanks. I probably won't use the wifi calling, but I am looking forward to getting the performance optimizer and the better aod with third party notifications back.those are two things I missed from the note 7 .

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just checking back in on the thread.

Re: Battery life..

I've been off the charger for about 35 minutes streaming Google Play over mobile network using Bluetooth headphones w/ AOD off. Battery reads 99%.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Final released, gonna install this now: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/120208/G935FXXU1DPLT_G935FOXA1DPLT_BTU/

oU9bw3a.png

Installed:

p9k2HCR.jpg

Last edited:

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
the settings menu is revamped

now you can set a lower resolution to improve battery life and it doesn't look any worse to my eyes because it's only a phone screen after all

battery optimization modes, normal, gaming, optimized which is a balance between performance/battery life

too many improvements to list

also the icons are now all rounded

you can also set an option to hold the home key button to quickly speak out a contact name rather than have the useless Google Now feature

new feature, now when you get an SMS notification, you can mark it as read or reply from within the notification

in the past, if you clear the notification, you still had to go to the SMS app and click on it to mark it as read. double work now fixed

Last edited: