Samsung pledges monthly security updates to unlocked US devices

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
They are probably announcing this to appease the people that are upset because of their unlocked devices being late to the Nougat party. They also want people to have more reason to purchase the unlocked S8. It's a step in the right direction though.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
They are probably announcing this to appease the people that are upset because of their unlocked devices being late to the Nougat party. They also want people to have more reason to purchase the unlocked S8.

I agree with this. And here I thought unlocked meant less hurdles for the manufacturer when updating.

If you don't plan on bouncing between carriers or selling the device to a different market, I'd go with a carrier branded device. Bloatware is no longer an issue in 2017.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I kind of want to keep my US unlocked Edge on MM since I have an S7 Edge on Nougat already. There are a few things they've changed that I don't like so much.

Luckily, updates will only download over Wifi on T-Mobile on my unlocked phone so I can just leave WiFi off. When I bought my blue S7 Edge last month, I was trying to avoid upgrading it but the update started downloading anyways with WiFi off so I upgraded it just to be done with it.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think they did this because the S8 is going to just be one model. That's just a guess though. Only one model has been through the FCC. This could be great for all updates in the future.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I hope this is true. I may reconsider my stance on "no Samsung" this year.

They gotta really work on fixing their security at launch, then I'd be willing to reconsider. If they launch with 7.1.1 or 7.1.2, never miss a monthly and have ALL of Nougat's security features enabled out of the box and they bring all of 8.0's security features within 30 days of it's launch, I'd be willing to consider them next year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this. And here I thought unlocked meant less hurdles for the manufacturer when updating.

If you don't plan on bouncing between carriers or selling the device to a different market, I'd go with a carrier branded device. Bloatware is no longer an issue in 2017.

It means Samsung has to spend it's own time, money and resources testing and pushing out the update, rather than letting the carrier carry that expense.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It means Samsung has to spend it's own time, money and resources testing and pushing out the update, rather than letting the carrier carry that expense.

Good point. I can imagine them letting updates fall behind on their unlocked S7 and S7edge units last year. Note 7 fiasco, the investigation, reworking of battery standards and testing, development for the S8.

If there is only 1 unlocked S8 version, does that mean it will have the capability to run on all networks? That sure would make things much more simple.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Sorry but Samsung just isn't that nimble. And bloat is I guess in the eye of the beholder. The more features, and apps, the less security.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamthechuckster