backup apps and DATA from old phone to new

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a way to backup all apps and data from my old phone so that I can transfer to my new S7 Edge?

During the phone setup it installed all my apps but the data is not there. For some apps there is so much setup and/or data that it would be a huge problem to set them up again.

I tried helium and it will not restore to another device and their support does not respond.

I also tried a few other backup apps from the play store and they backedup/restored apps but not the data

Thanks

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Did you use Samsung Smartswitch? I used that to transfer from my S7e to my S8 and it also copied the data. Of course that begs the question, what do you consider as "data"?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've used Smart Switch. It seems to catch most things, and those that drop can be recreated from other storage. I've found that MyBackup Pro is pretty good. It will do apps, media, and data. You can also restore a backup to a different device, and you can backup and restore individual apps and their data.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Did you use Samsung Smartswitch?

I saw that when I setup the phone but I do not have the adapter from regular usb to microusb so that I can connect the two phones.

Also, I thought that smartswitch only worked on samsung phones?
I am transferring from an LG G3 to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Both at AT&T)

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Smartswitch is also an app in the Play store and yes, it will work for non-samsung phones. With the app you don't need the adapter. Also, @underway99 had a good idea if for some reason you can't go phone to phone.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Smartswitch is also an app in the Play store and yes, it will work for non-samsung phones. With the app you don't need the adapter. Also, @underway99 had a good idea if for some reason you can't go phone to phone.

How do the two phones connect without a cable? Wifi?

I will look at Smartswitch app. $6.99 for MyBackup Pro is a disgrace.
I will find a way to get by with smart switch or similar.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
There's a free version of MyBackup Pro (MyBackup). I don't recall how it's crippled from the paid version, but it used to be functional enough to show its worth.

I'm not sure how paying for an app is a disgrace. I'd much rather pay a little bit for a decent app than load free apps that pull ads and send who knows what from my phone. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There's a free version of MyBackup Pro

You noted in your post above that this works for app backup. Do you see anything more than just letting them download again (assuming you lose your phone for some reason)? I've used an app that will backup specific apk files.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Not normally. It makes for an easier restore if you are network or data limited because the APKs are all there. I also use it to backup specific APKs before I let them update, in the event that I don't like losing what the developer has removed (remember when PDP was "upgraded" to remove the ability to block system updates).

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I just hard reset my same phone... I used Samsung smarts with very little data got restored. Took me hours to sign into most apps again. Even this app. I think iPhone has the big advantage here

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
How do the two phones connect without a cable? Wifi?

I will look at Smartswitch app. $6.99 for MyBackup Pro is a disgrace.
I will find a way to get by with smart switch or similar.

The Pro version is worth every cent of the asking price and it's yours for as long as you want to use android devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo