unknown error

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I keep getting the message unknown error and it wont let me sign into the phone via google account.. Is there anything I can do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What screen are you on when you see that error? Are you trying to set the phone up for the first time, or did you do a factory reset and are trying to enter your Google account information?

semaj3944

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Yes I did do a factory reset and was trying to add my info, when this started..it was my sister phone and she gave to me, after seeing that error i retried to do it with her info- but it came back with the same error

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you describe the exact steps that you took? Was it like this?

1. You factory reset the phone with your sister's Google account logged in, without first removing the account in the Settings>Accounts menu.
2. The phone did the factory reset, then restarted.
3. Upon restarting, the first thing you saw was a screen asking you to enter a Google account and password.

If that's what happened, then you're seeing Factory Reset Protection. It's asking for the Google account and password that was associated with the phone prior to the factory reset. Assuming this phone had always been your sister's (and she didn't get it used from someone else), enter her Google account and password. Make sure you're entering it exactly correctly -- look to see if CAPS LOCK is turned on by accident on the keyboard. Do you still get the Unknown Error?