S7 Battery life expectations vs S6/S6 edge

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to work out roughly how much longer the S7 might typically last compared to the S6 and S6 edge based on what we ask l currently know about the phone.

Main points of interest are the 15/16% larger battery compared to the S6/S6 edge, 10% more power efficient SOC (Exynos 8890 vs 7420) and then the current unknown; the display power efficiency vs the S6 generation.

What's the likely % improvement we might see from S6 to S7? Obviously nobody really knows yet, but it'd help me decide between S7 and S7 edge if I could read some of your educated predictions! :)

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think S7 will do as good as Note 5 at least because it has the same size battery but 0.6" smaller screen, let alone more efficient processor, chips. If that's the case, it's good enough for me. S7 edge would be even better on battery, but I don't care for bigger screen, edge features.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Usa versions will get the snapdragon 820...

Number comparisons don't necessarily dictate battery life as the note 5 and s6 had the same cpu and the note 5 Battery was maybe 15-20% larger, but the note 5 got nearly double the battery life of the s6, in my usage

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
This "always on" thing seems like to eat the battery's %25 in a day. This is too much. Hope it is something closeable.
That figure is just an educated guess by the tech media. Official figure we have been provided with from Samsung is actually 'less than 5% over a 10 hour period', which is a worst case scenario of 12.4% maximum when you extrapolate to 24 hours.

Proof by screenshot:

c2f87d409a828f20faa016b659fca871.jpg

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
aren't you sleeping at all? LOL on what planet are you from? here on Earth a day has 24 hours :)...haven't you watched a single review?...it's ''closeable" LOL

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
aren't you sleeping at all? LOL on what planet are you from? here on Earth a day has 24 hours :)...haven't you watched a single review?...it's ''closeable" LOL
I woke up in middle of night and struggling to get back to sleep so just quickly checking notifications on phone
Yes, you're quite right, it's entirely optional feature.

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
i turn off notifications at night and oftenly use DO NOT DISTURB with a few favourites numbers, sorry for waking you up :) i forgot to quote 'socializer' user :)

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
i turn off notifications at night and oftenly use DO NOT DISTURB with a few favourites numbers, sorry for waking you up :) i forgot to quote 'socializer' user :)
Oh no, don't worry you didn't wake me up, my phone is on do not disturb mode. I just often wake up in early hours of the morning naturally, it's just a weird thing I can't escape!

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I get at least 5 hours SOT with my S6 which lasts me from 7am - 1am. I have got up to 6 hours SOT. I'm guessing you can expect 6-7hrs SOT over 20hrs. That's plenty of juice for a heavy user for one day, or 1.5 days for medium usage.

dreaming of electric sheep

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh no, don't worry you didn't wake me up, my phone is on do not disturb mode. I just often wake up in early hours of the morning naturally, it's just a weird thing I can't escape!

That's on feature (on any phone really) I've never used (the DnD). I keep it on ringer in case people need me. Texts and emails though.. That won't wake me. Takes much more than that haha.

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to work out roughly how much longer the S7 might typically last compared to the S6 and S6 edge based on what we ask l currently know about the phone.

Main points of interest are the 15/16% larger battery compared to the S6/S6 edge, 10% more power efficient SOC (Exynos 8890 vs 7420) and then the current unknown; the display power efficiency vs the S6 generation.

What's the likely % improvement we might see from S6 to S7? Obviously nobody really knows yet, but it'd help me decide between S7 and S7 edge if I could read some of your educated predictions! :)

I think if we look at the recent Gsmareana Battery ratings for the devices here then we should have a good idea what battery life results are expected from the s7/s7 edge.

Note that the a5 and a7 2016 have snapdragon 615.

The a5 has 2900mah and a7 3300mah

Noting that we should have some stellar results from the new galaxy devices.

Posted by my Superia z2

Attachments

• 2900.jpg
    2900.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 134

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This is going to be a rough calculation, so bear with me.

On my LG G4, which has a 3000mAh battery and a Snapdragon 808 plus a 1440p display (the 808 isn't actually that efficient), I typically get 18 hours of mixed use out of it, with 3-4h of SOT.

For the flat S7, given the same battery size but more efficient processor, I should expect to squeeze an extra 2-3 hours of use out of it or more, depending on my usage and other conditions.

But here's the big one. The Edge. For that, I expect about an extra 5-6 hours out of it or slightly less or more depending on usage pattern.

Note that those are average calculations. It's just theory and real-world results may differ from my calculations.

Jones Andrew

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S6, with its 2550mAh battery has proven not to serve it's users effectively . Samsung has upped this to a considerably larger 3,000mAh power pack for the Galaxy S7, which in my opinion is a good improvement, and the device is likely to serve users more efficiently than the S6.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S6, with its 2550mAh battery has proven not to serve it's users effectively . Samsung has upped this to a considerably larger 3,000mAh power pack for the Galaxy S7, which in my opinion is a good improvement, and the device is likely to serve users more efficiently than the S6.

I think S6 was plagued by not only smaller battery but also some memory bug in Lollipop when it's released. I'm surprised how much Note 5 is better on battery because jump to 3000mAh is pretty much offset by 0.6" screen size increase to 5.7". I think 5.1.1 and softwares in Note 5 were more refined for efficiency than when S6 released.

From hardware stand point, even regular S7 should do better than Note 5. Same battery size, smaller screen and more efficient chipset. Then there is Marshmallow with doze and hopefully more refined touchwiz. I can't imagine how good S7e will be. I will likely turn off always on display and check notifications old way if that saves battery.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be stalking the battery life threads like a hawk when they are released. I have to wait until May 19 to get my hands on one xd

Battery life will be the make or break factor for me on the S7/S7 Edge line. My last two phones have been Motorola Droid Maxx HD and Motorola Droid Turbo. I've never had a inkling of a battery worry, ever. I'm ready to try a different manufacturer but I'm not giving up my battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38