Ok Google screen off

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get ok google with the screen off on the GS7? It doesn't seem to be an option in the Google Now options. Coming from the Nexus 6p, I thought that was an option for all phones?

Posted via the Android Central App

shanesaccount

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching and searching to find out if the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge allows "Okay Google" searches while the phone is sleeping (locked or unlocked) - and NOT charging. Nexus phones have an "Always On" setting. The GS7 seems to only have from any app and trusted voice.

I'd really love to be able to say "Okay Google"to do a search at any time -- not just while charging. Is this possible on the GS7?

shanesaccount

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Understood -- however, what I'm hoping to do to do is do a search at any time WITHOUT the screen on (and without charging) -- e.g. "Always On" listening.... not just when charging.

This is a feature for nexus devices. And frankly with "Trusted Voice" turned on, and S-Voice disabled -- one would hope that this would work. (Especially with "Always on Display" selected.)

If it's not possible - it's a real miss.

supersam64

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
If you turn on trusted voice it should work.

It does not work. The OP is trying to activate Google Now with the screen off, and while the phone is not charging. Trusted voice will not activate it unless it is charging or the screen is on. The curious thing is that S Voice can be activated when the screen is off. You can even activate S Voice and have it open Google Now, but that's rather clunky. Seems that if S Voice can be activated with the screen off and the charger disconnected, Google Now could do the same thing, but as far as I can tell, Samsung won't allow it.

:(

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing this behavior in my S7 edge as well.

Although, if you use Google Now Launcher as your default launcher, then it works even if the phone is locked, provided you have enabled Trusted Voice option in the Google Now settings.

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
mine doesn't work either with the screen off and while charging, just tried it. i reset the trusted voice, it said successful, tried again and no dice

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
What's the point of that, that the screen wakes up when you say "okay Google", only when it's charging? Dumb idea!

I think it's a battery thing, the phone has to stay alert and process all sounds for "OK Google" so it's limited to screen off when plugged in. The Nexuses may have low power hardware designed to do this, much like the old "X8" co-procesors on the original Moto X.