New S7 update has made the Always On Screen LESS useful!

mike21b

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I was quite content with my default Always On Screen: with one glance, I could see the date, time, battery state, and on the bottom line, indicators for missed phone calls and texts. I didn't have to touch the phone - all I needed to do was look at it! Things were great...

Yesterday, I allowed an update to the phone. Now, my notification bar shows emails, 2 different local temperatures, and a couple other icons that I still haven't figured out. It does show missed calls, but no indicator of text messages.

Is there any way I can get the "old" AOS back? I have no need to know the current temperature from two different sources, I don't need to know that I have new email (I get hundreds of new emails daily) and I definitely don't need to know how many new notifications there are on the pull down screen of the home page!

I just want to know if I missed any calls or if there are text messages waiting. ...Like it was, before yesterday.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Aod only lists notifications that you allow. Double check the apps and go into notification settings and turn off the proper toggle.

That should work.

Attachments

• 37274.jpg
    37274.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 47

mike21b

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
1812dave: yes, that turns off notifications across the board, including the AOD and the pull down Notifications - BUT.... missed calls shows up on AOD, but text messages are still not shown there.

Dooki: I learned something from you there anyway - Although I first turned off App Notifications when I got the phone, each time I added an app, that particular app notification was made active for the pull down screen. That explains why I always had so many notifications that I typically just cleared them all every time I looked. Now I see that I can selectively turn on the ones that I want.

But we're still back to the problem of notifications on AOD. When you go to Settings --- Display --- Always On Display --- Layouts: Your choices of layouts clearly show exactly what I want: Date, Time, Battery, Missed Calls, Text Messages.

...But that's not what you get. Depending on what Notifications are turned on, you'll get Facebook notification, Twitter, whatsapp, and so on. I don't want them. I did seem to manage a partial solution: I setup Text Message Preview on Lock Screen. When a text message arrives, it previews right there on the AOD, and again when you go to the lock screen. I don't like that! What if it's my wife, telling me she's naked in bed, waiting with a bottle of wine - and my phone is sitting on my desk or worse, the conference room table! There it is, for all to see...... still working on it here.....

I have a feeling that a lot of people (me being in the minority) will like the new AOD, since they are usually glued to their phone, ready and waiting to instantly respond to the latest Facebook feed, etc. (But then if that's the case, their AOD never has a chance to come on because the phone is in constant use)

mike21b

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
1812dave: yes, that turns off notifications across the board, including the AOD and the pull down Notifications - BUT.... missed calls shows up on AOD, but text messages are still not shown there.

Dooki: I learned something from you there anyway - Although I first turned off App Notifications when I got the phone, each time I added an app, that particular app notification was made active for the pull down screen. That explains why I always had so many notifications that I typically just cleared them all every time I looked. Now I see that I can selectively turn on the ones that I want.

But we're still back to the problem of notifications on AOD. When you go to Settings --- Display --- Always On Display --- Layouts: Your choices of layouts clearly show exactly what I want: Date, Time, Battery, Missed Calls, Text Messages.

...But that's not what you get. Depending on what Notifications are turned on, you'll get Facebook notification, Twitter, whatsapp, and so on. I don't want them. I did seem to manage a partial solution: I setup Text Message Preview on Lock Screen. When a text message arrives, it previews right there on the AOD, and again when you go to the lock screen. I don't like that! What if it's my wife, telling me she's naked in bed, waiting with a bottle of wine - and my phone is sitting on my desk. Or worse, the phone is sitting on the conference room table! There it is, for all to see...... still working on it here.....

I have a feeling that a lot of people (me being in the minority) will like the new AOD, since they are usually glued to their phone, ready and waiting to instantly respond to the latest Facebook feed, etc. (But then if that's the case, their AOD never has a chance to come on because the phone is in constant use)

If my phone is not in my pocket, it's usually sitting face up nearby, or sitting in the wireless charging cradle. No audible alerts. With AOD, a quick glance shows whether I have any calls that I missed, or if there are any text messages. I don't have to touch it. If it's in my hand, I am using it.

mike21b

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I attempted to edit my reply by adding the last paragraph to the 2nd look-alike message above, I don't see a "delete message" option. Just read the 2nd long reply, they are otherwise the same.

Argh! I am on too many comment boards for my many interests.