Why does my Samsung Galaxy 7 Keyboard suck so much?

Stewbart13

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
After a recent update the pretty terrible Samsung Keyboard managed to get worse. Now, about 70% of my texts start with a space. What? Why? Also, my keyboard constantly assumes the wrong word. Below are some common examples of how terrible the predictive text is:

- Instead of "good" it registers "God"
- Instead of "you" I get "yippy" or "toy"
- "out", "or", "our" never seem to correct in the context of my sentence nor is there any consistentcy to the keyboards choice for the same swipe
- Many times the keyboard predicts a word that isn't even in the English language

There are other idiotic mistakes this keyboard makes, they are just not coming to mind right now. Are there any others out there experiencing similar frustrations and errors?

Thanks.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums as a new member. Yes, this has happened as others have reported the same issues. There are many keyboards available to download, Swype, Swiftkey and Gboard are all very good. You might want to give them a look.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not really. One of the first things I do on an Android is download Swiftkey keyboard. What's great is that it remembers all my words across tablets and phones. Microsoft owns it, so I wouldn't be worried about giving them data anyway. They already have control of my computers anyway and there are more stuff there. Lol.

shadokat_ph

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
After a recent update the pretty terrible Samsung Keyboard managed to get worse. Now, about 70% of my texts start with a space. What? Why? Also, my keyboard constantly assumes the wrong word. Below are some common examples of how terrible the predictive text is:

- "out", "or", "our" never seem to correct in the context of my sentence nor is there any consistentcy to the keyboards choice for the same swipe
- Many times the keyboard predicts a word that isn't even in the English language

There are other idiotic mistakes this keyboard makes, they are just not coming to mind right now. Are there any others out there experiencing similar frustrations and errors?

Thanks.
I don't think that problem is unique to Samsung. I had almost the exact same issues, down to the same incorrect words, on my old LG G Stylo. And the same issues happened with the first third party keyboard I downloaded, though I forget which one it was. It was SO bad! And the keyboards claim to learn from you... The one I had didn't pick up on the fact that I was constantly correcting its mistakes. It sometimes felt like a battle of wills with the phone! You're definitely not alone.

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

Thanks.

Have you tried turning off Auto Replace? Might help with some of your issues.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that problem is unique to Samsung. I had almost the exact same issues, down to the same incorrect words, on my old LG G Stylo. And the same issues happened with the first third party keyboard I downloaded, though I forget which one it was. It was SO bad! And the keyboards claim to learn from you... The one I had didn't pick up on the fact that I was constantly correcting its mistakes. It sometimes felt like a battle of wills with the phone! You're definitely not alone.
That's weird. I actually taught swiftkey an entire language and it predicted correctly.

inandora

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
OMG, the "toy" and "yippy" are driving me NUTS! You are not imagining things, Swype has gotten worse. I have a galaxyS7 Edge now and i have to edit every third word, its almost not worth it to use over typing (which I'm doing a lot more of now). On my old Note 2 i fell in love with Swype, and I could use it very swiftly and perhaps"sloppily" but it always got what I was intending to say. Just to be sure it's not a change in me, i borrowed my Dads samsung j7 and texted . . . It was like using my old note 2! So something Samsung might be trying to do to make a more specialized version of the app for more expensive models of its phones is maybe not working as intended. I wish they would fix it... our just give me the option to go back to myNote2s version of Swype.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I use G Board and the only issue I have is when I try to use space and instead hit the period. So I get a lot of . in my sentences. It is better than the stock keyboard though.

Mattb2bee

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
OMG, the "toy" and "yippy" are driving me NUTS! You are not imagining things, Swype has gotten worse. I have a galaxyS7 Edge now and i have to edit every third word, its almost not worth it to use over typing (which I'm doing a lot more of now). On my old Note 2 i fell in love with Swype, and I could use it very swiftly and perhaps"sloppily" but it always got what I was intending to say. Just to be sure it's not a change in me, i borrowed my Dads samsung j7 and texted . . . It was like using my old note 2! So something Samsung might be trying to do to make a more specialized version of the app for more expensive models of its phones is maybe not working as intended. I wish they would fix it... our just give me the option to go back to myNote2s version of Swype.

I have thought the same about how great my old galaxy s5 keyboard memory was! Especially the sloppy swipes usually while (sorry)driving 😶.. would remember perfectly with little error, my s8 is terrible and unfortunately only seems to be getting worse.
I'm going to try a keyboard app swiftkey. If there's any suggestions for better apps or how to make Samsung's keyboard operate better anything would be appreciated.
Thanks

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I am also considering a third party keyboard like swiftkey. My keyboard keeps wanting to input characters that are one to the left of the one I was actually tapping. so annoying. and the "learned" words with it is starting to get annoying as hell too.

Hollyshobbies

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
Yep. On my Note 8, I've been having so much trouble. Swype is no longer the standard. I like the Samsung emojis, though. Hate the green aliens. ONE TIME, i put "aaaaand," and now it selects that instead of, "and." Yes, i had to correct the others in that previous sentence. Also, notice that it won't capitalize, "I." I also hate how you might mean something like "dog," but it thought "son." You go back and delete that word and try it again. This time, it suggests words that are close to "son" even if your swiped correctly. Adding a space after commas so that you can't end quote sucks. It misses way more words than Swype. There's no common sense to the predictions.
I miss Swype.

Eric Buist

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't think this is specific to Samsung. I have a Google Pixel 2 and the keyboard sucks more and more. Seems it's getting worse every week or so. Now each 3-4 words, swiping gets it wrong, and repeatedly gets it wrong, no matter how much time I try, retry, retry. I more and more thinks it picks the first and last letter, and then randomly guesses a word. I have to switch back to typing letter by letter, and most of the times, it enters the wrong letter. I thus have to type a key, check, erase, retry, check, etc. This is really insane. I am more and more thinking about trying an iPhone. I find it really silly to have to pay for a third party keyboard application that, most of the times, bloats the device with tons of crapware while what I need is something to enter text. The Pixel 2 is excellent and I don't want to replace it now, and I suspect most if not all Android phones will behave the same.