Why do companies try to shove things down your throat you didn't ask for? Bixby!!

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Galaxy s8+. Yep, I usually buy behind the curve for the cheap. But what is this Bixby? I am used to Google Assistant but Bixby is plastered all over the place. I wish I could get rid of that special screen next to the Home page. Is there a way to uninstall this program. I've followed articles but invariably a place they say to go in settings is not the same on my phone. This happens it seems with everything I purchase. The helps do not match my phone. smh

I would appreciate any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the original Galaxy S forum to the S8 forum.

Samsung has long tried to create its own ecosystem. It's a way to try to keep customers coming back (i.e., if they become invested in that ecosystem and find it too inconvenient to move away from it), and also a way to push its own services (and therefore increase its bottom line).

Let me see if @mustang7757 is familiar with de-Bixbyfying a phone.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Samsung had S Voice back in the day and actually blocked Google Voice Assistant Voice activation back in the day, then replaced it with Bixby.

I've still got my Note 8 at home which should have the same version of Bixby, I'll check when I get home if it's possible to fully disable it or not.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Bixby hasn't annoyed me in a long time and it's really changed on the Note 8 since launch.

I don't have the Bixby screen to the left anymore, some Samsung free crap I've got disabled. Don't have Bixby listed as an app, and it only works while I'm actively holding the side button. Tapping or pressing the button no longer opens Bixby, it needs to be held.

No idea how to fully disable it, hope Mustangs solution worked.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Bixby hasn't annoyed me in a long time and it's really changed on the Note 8 since launch.

I don't have the Bixby screen to the left anymore, some Samsung free crap I've got disabled. Don't have Bixby listed as an app, and it only works while I'm actively holding the side button. Tapping or pressing the button no longer opens Bixby, it needs to be held.

No idea how to fully disable it, hope Mustangs solution worked.
Change side key eliminates Bixby popping up.
d51084b3a8e12b054e71e1a236164683.jpg

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
when I had a S8 Bixby never bothered me. it's been a while but I think you can make the Bixby button only activate Bixby if you long press it or double press it? on a S8. Maybe even change what that key does by now.
I'm really curious what made you buy a S8?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo