GS8 vs LG G6

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: Gs8 vs lg g6

G6 for me. I've never even owned an LG phone, but after the Note 7 debacle I don't like Samsung anymore. That's not he main reason for my decision, however: I hate the fact that I can't put a tempered glass screen protector on the S8 and that's a big no-no for an 800$ handset. Spigen is already selling the Glass.Tr for the G6 - that's good enough for me. As for the processor: don't care at all. Every G6 review I've seen so far says that it runs buttery smooth.

Too right! The move to curved screens is silly. Long live flat panels!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

IF the S8 Plus has the hefty price tag like over 900 and I'm not super impressed, the G6 is an option for me I will consider! As I mentioned the V20 seems more fluid, and easier to text with and just overall seems faster than my S7 edge and Note 7 I had.

What I will do over the next couple of weeks is read into the reviews and youtube reviews as well as specs and then decide what device I will go with. With the Note 7 I rushed and pre ordered, this time I will probably wait a couple weeks until reviews start to trickle in before pulling the trigger.

A serious consideration I might do is if I don't get the S8 plus is to save the money, Buy an G6 AND then buy a Tab S3 so I can have an spen device! Sure it will cost a couple hundred more buying that combo but I get an spen and basically a jumbo sized Note 7. I can always sell my unlocked V20 then. Later in the year I might get the Note 8 then but if the Note 8 is too expensive I still have my Tab S3!

kuru_s

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I really like both both phones, the G6 has the dual camera, a bigger battery, fingerprint sensor in the middle of the phone and not much bloat wear.
The S8 has the SD835 and a slimmer body, the SD835 is a big win.
I would have easily gone for the G6 but the S8 has the SD835 which seems to be the much better and more efficient processor but I want to see how they are both priced before i go either way.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site

Thats always a tough question to answer.

The S8 obviously has Samsung Pay which is a really nice feature to have but I think it also comes down to brand preference
Samsung Pay doesn't work with all banks, as I discovered. So, how useful it is depends on your bank.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I have to say I'm so invested in Samsung Pay that I might just stick with the S8 just for that. I use it all the time, practically everywhere. The fact that the S8 is smaller in the hand than the S7 Edge makes it really attractive - I can use the 7e with one hand for the most part, but the S8 would be superior in that regard. A shame the camera is mostly the same.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The move to curved screens is selling phones!

Not everyone is a fan of the curved screens. My wife liked it at first but after a few weeks she couldn't wait to go back to a flat screen. It's a very gimmicky design that serves no useful purpose. And not to mention, the screen is easier to break because of the curve that a case can't protect.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I really like both both phones, the G6 has the dual camera, a bigger battery, fingerprint sensor in the middle of the phone and not much bloat wear.
The S8 has the SD835 and a slimmer body, the SD835 is a big win.
I would have easily gone for the G6 but the S8 has the SD835 which seems to be the much better and more efficient processor but I want to see how they are both priced before i go either way.

$100 more for a phone with a processor that will load up your app .02 seconds faster seems hardly worth it. I know it could help battery life but by how much really. For me to pay $100 more for a processor, it needs to give me $100 worth of more performance.

The S8 looks great, I just really want to feel both it and the G6 in the hand before I make a decision. There's no good deal on the wrong product.

jhonnieblue

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I honestly think that it's going to come down to actually holding both phones and using them to see what I like more. The s8 design is lovely but the g6 has an allure to it as well.
It's left to,be seen how much more efficient that processor really will be.
Just like how apple downgraded the battery in the new Macbook Pro, real world battery saving isn't seen unless the machine is under stress.
I'm feeling the s8 may suffer the same effect due to that large display

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Samsung Pay doesn't work with all banks, as I discovered. So, how useful it is depends on your bank.
That's the only downfall with Samsung pay, but I do see them adding new banks often. I switched my bank partially because of Samsung Pay lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a very difficult choice to make! I've never owned a Samsung device (I've owned an LG one), but the S8 looks SWEET; and the G6 also looks amazing. I can see both devices going head to head this time, and I think LG will give Samsung a run for its money - it'll be a closer race than in previous iterations; at least, in my opinion.

My advice would be to try them both out in the store and see how they feel in the hand. Initial impressions and how they operate will hopefully show you which phone you'd rather commit to for the duration of your contract.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just went by my local Verizon and they have G6, S8 and S8+ all on display. Holding all of them, I think I am leaning towards the G6, just not into the Samsung's screens. I was surprise how little the S8+ felt in the hand.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

It has an always on display though to show notifications. The V20 also doesn't have a light. From what I hear the G6 AOD is better than the Note 7/ S& Android 7.0 AOD
Worst part of my v20 is lack of. led notifications. Miss the feature constantly. AOD isn't really always on and is impossible to see across a room. That's what makes led notifications so great.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The move to curved screens is selling phones!
There is no evidence to show that. There is no question they would sell more s8 if some were cheaper flat screen.

Curved screens offer no advantage other than a show offy thing. If you want a show offy thing buy an iPhone. Nobody is impressed by any Android phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
There is no evidence to show that. There is no question they would sell more s8 if some were cheaper flat screen.

Curved screens offer no advantage other than a show offy thing. If you want a show offy thing buy an iPhone. Nobody is impressed by any Android phone.

I agree. I don't want that stupid edge gimmick but it's slammed down our throats. Personally I'd rather have the IR blaster than the edge screen.

Also the G6 is a nice device, but for 200 more I decided to get the S8 Plus. Getting the G6 is like getting the standard sized S8 almost. A bit too small for me. Plus with the S8 it won't go out of style as fast and I'll probably skip the Note series this year and maybe get the Tab s3 later in the year when the price drops and I can get the spen fix that way.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

The best evidence sits right in front of you. 2 new "curved" flagships. You really think Samsung would make this move if it meant selling LESS phones?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone is a fan of the curved screens. My wife liked it at first but after a few weeks she couldn't wait to go back to a flat screen. It's a very gimmicky design that serves no useful purpose. And not to mention, the screen is easier to break because of the curve that a case can't protect.

No not everyone likes them, but until people stop plopping down cash for them, they will continue making them.

You've got people in this very thread complaining about edge screens, right as they are pre ordering another edge device! lol