Galaxy S8 and S8+ to be even more expensive than previously thought

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If the S8+ is over $1,000, I won't be buying one and I'll pick up the $672 LG G6 instead.

I agree. IMO it will be around $900 which is still too much money considering what the Note 7 cost and the Note 7 had more features such as the Spen. I ordered the Note 7 the first day of pre order at the Tmobile store and I was the first one the lady did and she was shocked at how expensive the Note 7 was. If it is that high I don't expect sales to be as high as the S7.

Also if it's that much I might too get the G6 and then I would buy the Tab S3 and get my Spen fix that way because we know the Note 8 will be more expensive than the S8 Plus then and trade in my Tab s2 towards it. Might come out to a bit more money than buying the S8 Plus but I'd be getting two devices including one with Spen. I could always sell the TV or Google Home then also and recoup even more money. IMO Samsung shoudl price the S8 Plus around $800.

If these Chinese companies such as huawei would mass market their phones and go with the major providers and improve their customer service, they would be giving Samsung some big big problems I think. Samsung would really have to lower the prices then.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree. IMO it will be around $900 which is still too much money considering what the Note 7 cost and the Note 7 had more features such as the Spen. I ordered the Note 7 the first day of pre order at the Tmobile store and I was the first one the lady did and she was shocked at how expensive the Note 7 was. If it is that high I don't expect sales to be as high as the S7.

Also if it's that much I might too get the G6 and then I would buy the Tab S3 and get my Spen fix that way because we know the Note 8 will be more expensive than the S8 Plus then and trade in my Tab s2 towards it. Might come out to a bit more money than buying the S8 Plus but I'd be getting two devices including one with Spen. I could always sell the TV or Google Home then also and recoup even more money. IMO Samsung shoudl price the S8 Plus around $800.

If these Chinese companies such as huawei would mass market their phones and go with the major providers and improve their customer service, they would be giving Samsung some big big problems I think. Samsung would really have to lower the prices then.

The Huawei Mate 9 was the best phone I used in a long time. I had to get rid of it because I need a water resistant phone for my job. It's too bad because it was a great phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The Huawei Mate 9 was the best phone I used in a long time. I had to get rid of it because I need a water resistant phone for my job. It's too bad because it was a great phone.

Huawei also makes some HUGE screen phones as well. However as I said them not being with the major providers and horrible tech support is the reason why I've shy away from them. If Tmobile offered Huawei I'd be all over it. That and it's harder to find good cases for them. With the features and prices Huawei has, if they were at the same level as LG or Samsung they'd be making a killing.

The Google Pixel if it offered always on display, IP68 and was the same price as the Galaxy I'd be all over that too for a lot smoother running phone than the Samsungs tend to be.

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
You would think that the next major Phone from Samsung after the disaster of Note 7 would warrant every possible care to ensure that it will be a huge hit...That would include the pricing...Samsung has to be careful here...A miscalculation here could mean ceding further ground to Apple, which they can ill-afford.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
You would think that the next major Phone from Samsung after the disaster of Note 7 would warrant every possible care to ensure that it will be a huge hit...That would include the pricing...Samsung has to be careful here...A miscalculation here could mean ceding further ground to Apple, which they can ill-afford.

Most people who get this phone will be spreading out payment over 2 years. Unless an extra 30/35 dollars a month is going to kill the wallets, I don't see how this will be different than any other year.

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Most people who get this phone will be spreading out payment over 2 years. Unless an extra 30/35 dollars a month is going to kill the wallets, I don't see how this will be different than any other year.

Yeah...but internationally where the phone will be sold unlocked at the full price, the pricing would matter a lot. In India, for example, some models of the iPhone sell for upwards of 1000 USD. If this is in that ball park, most people would rather take the iPhone. Operating systems are not really a major deciding factor here and the iPhone is a bit of a status symbol.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah...but internationally where the phone will be sold unlocked at the full price, the pricing would matter a lot. In India, for example, some models of the iPhone sell for upwards of 1000 USD. If this is in that ball park, most people would rather take the iPhone. Operating systems are not really a major deciding factor here and the iPhone is a bit of a status symbol.

In this case, you're right.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

The 256GB iPhone 7 Plus is costing me $40/month over two years. It costs $960 full retail.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
As long as people keep paying the price they will always go up

That's the thing. It will take more conscious consumers to realize their options when it comes to purchasing a new phone and evaluating their priorities in terms of features.

There are probably some subscribers out there that only roll with Samsung because they don't know what else is out there. Or maybe they truly love the devices and are satisfied with their experience each time they upgrade.

I imagine there are some out there that just walk in to the carrier store, let the sales person dictate what they get and just roll with whatever Next payments are handed to them. (I witnessed a Best Buy mobile sales person blatantly push an elder person into an S7 because they had an S5.)

If the S8 and S8+ turns out to be too expensive for alot of people, I hope they exercise the right discretion in making their decision. IMO, if the device isn't selling well, then Samsung will start to throw even more bonuses in. If the device still doesn't sell as much as they'd like, then a price drop would be in order.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Assuming that the price of a S8 is $960 purchased on an AT&T Next 24 Plan.

$1,199.70 to own the device after 30 months w/ insurance @ 7.99/month. $32 per month installment.
$959.76 to lease the device for 24 months w/ insurance @ 7.99/month. $32 per month installment.

The consumer would pay $768 to lease the device for 24 months without insurance.

Of course the above numbers are assuming that the device doesn't get damaged during the term. I'd expect the $200 deductible (or more) would apply.

xcalibur1011

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone thought about selling their current device to bring the full retail price down? That would a good solution depending on how current your phone is.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone thought about selling their current device to bring the full retail price down? That would a good solution depending on how current your phone is.
Lol

I've got a Pixel XL, three Nexus 6p's, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S6 and an s5 in a drawer somewhere. If I decide to get the S8 I think I might be able to cover the cost by selling a few phones. BTW, I like my toys and I take care of them, all those phones are in mint condition.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Assuming that the price of a S8 is $960 purchased on an AT&T Next 24 Plan.

$1,199.70 to own the device after 30 months w/ insurance @ 7.99/month. $32 per month installment.
$959.76 to lease the device for 24 months w/ insurance @ 7.99/month. $32 per month installment.

The consumer would pay $768 to lease the device for 24 months without insurance.

Of course the above numbers are assuming that the device doesn't get damaged during the term. I'd expect the $200 deductible (or more) would apply.
That's way too much thought going into a phone.
If you lease for 2 years, I would assume you own it at that point.
If you are on T-mobile JOD like me, you lease it for 5-6 months until the Note8 goes on sale. Out of pocket is like $150. Then, onto the next one.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's way too much thought going into a phone.
If you lease for 2 years, I would assume you own it at that point.
If you are on T-mobile JOD like me, you lease it for 5-6 months until the Note8 goes on sale. Out of pocket is like $150. Then, onto the next one.

To each his own. Most people don't stop to think about what it really costs as they're "dazzled" by a new phone and the monthly payment is manageable. I like number crunching and discussing hypothetical situations.

With AT&T, the way one would "own" the device in 2 years on a NEXT plan is if they do the NEXT every year, and pay $40 each month to make up the difference incurred over the extra 6 months.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

That's a viable option exercised by many. I've purchased and sold on Swappa with a great experience each transaction. I think now would be a good time to sell a gently used S7 or S7 edge as many people will start selling as soon as their S8 arrives. At that point, Swappa will be flooded with used devices.