Can the S8 beat the iPhone 8?

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Personally I consider iPhones and Google phones to provide far superior experience for me but Samsung does push hardware innovation pretty good and they have gotten way better on software front. If they can keep up software updates in a timely manner and also avoid fragmentation of their flagship phones (million variants of one model) then it'll be a great step in beating iPhone.

I completely agree with you. I stayed away from Samsung for some time but am really curious about the S8+. This would be my first Samsung since the S4.

cold spring

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm... if you loved iphone so much, why did you get an android phone? Iphone 6s+ isn't shabby at all, at least for people who bought in to Apple ecosystem. Just curious.

cold spring

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes it's Anniversary iphone, but also remember that price is going up. I heard above $1000 minimum for iphone 8. Also lots of people are holding onto their old phones longer and longer, because new phones doesn't feature any substantial improvement (other than faster cpu, more memory, thinner bezels etc which makes increasingly marginal difference). Upgrading a smart phone is getting more and more of an option than a necessity. Moreover, lower tier phones are becoming cheaper and better all the time. Apple may not be moving down the price curve, but Android as a whole is. Will Apple have any tricks up ti's sleeve to hold back the tide of smart phone market saturation and maturation? Apple revenue and profit being down in 2016 was due entirely to this phenomenon. We will see in September if Apple can triumph over forces of nature!

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
iPhone 8:

- no SD slot (probably 32 GB the lowest size)
- Forced to use iTunes to load music (extremely annoying and complicated)
- Apple Pay pay sucks cause not many places accept it
- Smartwatches are limited on iPhones unless you use Apple Watch
- Typically lower battery capacity
- OS is very restrictive and limited (try sending files via Bluetooth, it's a nightmare)
- No wireless charging (maybe on the iPhone 8?)
- Small screen size (4.7 inch and 5.5 inch)
- Gets boring after awhile (can't customize anything)
- And most importantly NO HEADPHONE JACK! Better shell out for some Bluetooth earphones... What a waste, everything in my house has auxiliary.

- No SD is irrelevant if you can have up to 256 GB of internal memory

- Is there still anyone not using music streaming? So who needs iTunes any more?

- Apple Watch just is the best smartwatch out there so being forced to use it, is no downside. Besides you can use iOS with Android smartwatches. But who would want to do that?

- Lower physical battery capacity doesn't matter. IPhones have always been more energy efficient so battery lasts longer despite the physical capacity being lower.

- IOS might still be more restrictive, but Apple has already opened up iOS in many ways. There is also the advantage of speedy updates for all devices to avoid software fragmentation. Samsung shipping the S8 with the already outdated Android 7.0 is ridiculous. Go figure how long it will take Samsung to provide Android O.

- Eventually Samsung will also get rid of the headphone jack. It is dated technology. Also on eBay you can get a lighting adapter for headphones for 1 buck

In the end it comes down to personal preference between iPhone and Android.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I already know what it's going to be like..
It, ios, will have a knew feature that it copied from Android os. Like always, late to the party by 2 to 3 years. Crapple the great innovator, never has had not one invention of there own.
https://youtu.be/wFeC25BM9E0
Actually, both Apple and Samsung and several others copy from each other all the time.

It's nothing new in the tech world.

I personally don't care. If they copy the good stuff, then it's alright.

lions_lair99

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Yeah that's why Samsung "invented" a 3D touch-like homebutton with the S8.
Apple sure didn't invent force touch..
Capture+_2017-03-31-08-39-28.png
a4f6ca30b58ad01e7a5ec85da1c36e48.jpg

lions_lair99

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Fanboys like you are so annoying. Why can't you just accept that everyone develops interesting features that the other companies adopt. It surely isn't Google alone that has invented all the good stuff.
You are quite right.. Google and a miriad of companies. Everyone but Apple.

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I hear they too will have infinity displays, I can't wait to see how the infinity display looks on a 720p resolution screen.. it's like futuristic and retro at the same time! Jokes aside, every time I'm due an upgrade, I take a peak at what apple is doing and end up either laughing or wincing.. this time both. 720p screens still in 2016/17? How in the blazes can they sell the standard iphone 7 for such a high price with that screen? I swear apple fans really would buy a polished turd if it had the apple logo on it.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
It won't matter. The new iPhone will still sell like hotcakes. Developers and third party manufacturers LOVE the iPhone as do those who are heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem. The iPhone was positioned as somewhat of a gateway device. It leads to more sales of Macs, iPads, and Apple TVs. The seamless integration between Apple devices is nothing to sneeze at. Lots of people appreciate the "Apple experience" over hardware specs and that's perfectly ok.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 8:

- no SD slot (probably 32 GB the lowest size)
- Forced to use iTunes to load music (extremely annoying and complicated)
- Apple Pay pay sucks cause not many places accept it
- Smartwatches are limited on iPhones unless you use Apple Watch
- Typically lower battery capacity
- OS is very restrictive and limited (try sending files via Bluetooth, it's a nightmare)
- No wireless charging (maybe on the iPhone 8?)
- Small screen size (4.7 inch and 5.5 inch)
- Gets boring after awhile (can't customize anything)
- And most importantly NO HEADPHONE JACK! Better shell out for some Bluetooth earphones... What a waste, everything in my house has auxiliary.

Sorry, but this reads like a misinformed post.

- No SD likely, but you'll have up to 256 GB of far, far superior internal storage; Apple is king here.
- Apple pay works very smoothly.
- Lower battery capacity =/= real world battery use. My 6 Plus, 6 S plus and 7 Plus all got way better battery life (and way, way better standby time) than my Note 7, despite its bigger battery. Anybody denying this most likely hasn't used the above phones.
- iPhone 2017 will dominate sales wise.

User experience is the name of the game. Use what suits you best. If you want a headphone jack or customization, go w/ Android. But as a long time Android guy who went iOS (plus Android still) a while back, I'll say that iOS is fantastic and iPhones definitely have their own advantages. No Android phone I've used touches iOS in smoothness (the 835 likely still won't top last years A10 fusion even discounting user experience, and even the 6S is still silky smooth) and app quality (Android falls drastically short - Snapchat, for example, has 100000s of daily users and is kept way better on iOS). I also value battery life, where the 7 plus excels.

The S8 might be gorgeous, but if it stutters, has worse apps, and is slow to get the latest Android updates, it'll still be a nonstarter for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez