8+ Display compared to 5.7" Notes

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Re: 8+ Display compared to 5.7" Notes

More the reason I was surprised since find the Note 4 display presents content better and easier to access functions than the Mr. Fantastic 8+
Could you please elaborate on this? Maybe give some examples?

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site

The content is a 16:9 rectangle and the Note 4 has a 16:9 rectangle for a display. The S8 has an 18.5:9 display, which means you have to crop the content or letterbox it.
But that says nothing about how it's "easier to access functions" on the Note 4 than the S8+. Which functions, and how is it harder on the S8?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

But that says nothing about how it's "easier to access functions" on the Note 4 than the S8+. Which functions, and how is it harder on the S8?
The display is taller, so more awkward accessing stuff on top. As far as content, reading, games, web or watching video. What you see is smaller for most content unless you zoom or crop.

Last edited:

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
The AT&T store here has both phones and compared to my 7 Edge the visual difference is of course the length. I am seriously considering canceling my order but oh that screen display is going to be hard to pass up. Everyone speaks about waiting on the Note 8 and we know it's coming but we don't know for sure and until they actually come out with what they will be offering I just don't think I want to wait on it. Yes, they will have the SPen but I just bought a tablet because it had the pen and I swear I keep forgetting it's there so I think I can live without the pen. I want a bigger phone, but I really want a little wider. To be honest I want my NOTE 7 back!!!

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I too would have preferred square corners, but really what are you losing in those corners that you need to see? I also would have preferred a 16:9 screen ratio, but you get more screen area without making the phone too wide. I don't find the height as much of an issue because the width of the phone fits comfortably in my hand.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T store here has both phones and compared to my 7 Edge the visual difference is of course the length. I am seriously considering canceling my order but oh that screen display is going to be hard to pass up. Everyone speaks about waiting on the Note 8 and we know it's coming but we don't know for sure and until they actually come out with what they will be offering I just don't think I want to wait on it. Yes, they will have the SPen but I just bought a tablet because it had the pen and I swear I keep forgetting it's there so I think I can live without the pen. I want a bigger phone, but I really want a little wider. To be honest I want my NOTE 7 back!!!

I agree 100% That narrow screen has me worried. :-\

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

100% agreed on Note 7. Wish the innards of the S8 were in the Note 8. Perhaps the Note 8 will be the normal display shape, since can't see professiona types (business users) liking the thin & tall portrait display.

I'm one of those "professionals" and don't.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

100% agreed on Note 7. Wish the innards of the S8 were in the Note 8. Perhaps the Note 8 will be the normal display shape, since can't see professiona types (business users) liking the thin & tall portrait display.

I'm one of those "professionals" and don't.
Hope you're right

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
S8 is closer in size to the Notes than the S8+, .1" difference in hypotenuse, rather than .5" difference.

Agree there are more things to do than video, buy this is one area where the radical design will hurt the experience and it's a very important one.

I'm not good with the mathematics so I go by appearance which is more important to me than numbers but I don't think either one of them can be compared to any of the Notes, Especially the Note 7. I placed my Edge on top of the 8 and it was bigger, in width, not by much but it was the same width on the 8+ but shorter. I am getting closer to canceling. I don't think it's worth the money but that screen is gorgeous.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
If there are any Samsung employees browsing the AC forums here's an idea of what to do with all those collected Note 7s. Put the S8+ components in a Note 7 body, take out the logo/home button and increase the screen size.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
If anything I think the new aspect ratio is a step in the wrong direction. I want a wider screen not a narrower one. I can use my S6E+ one handed. But extremely few new phones have a wider screen. The S8+ screen is about the same width as the S7E, both are slightly narrower than the S6E+.

I took a hard look at the Huawei Mate 9 but I'd have to drop Verizon and I can't move my whole family quite yet.

I've got the S8+ on preorder and I go back and forth almost daily on whether to cancel it or not.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Why the corner curves? Makes no apparent user sense. Will measure tomorrow to see if really 6.2", or are they pretending the curves in the corners are not there. They might be speccing like in the old school CRT days when the bezel counted too ;)

Supposedly is to reduce the likelihood of screen crack when drop as the corners are now closer to the edge of the device? Sharp corners will have more stress and easier to crack

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
If there are any Samsung employees browsing the AC forums here's an idea of what to do with all those collected Note 7s. Put the S8+ components in a Note 7 body, take out the logo/home button and increase the screen size.

They are selling "our" Notes in Asia. Doesn't seem fair does it? If they can repair them to sell in another country why can't they do that here? I just don't understand that. One problem I have is that they are always changing things that don't need changing when they come out with new phones, I'm speaking specifically software. App icons are looking more and more child like and washed out. I'm just venting.... I can't get over the loss of losing the best phone that I ever had!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They are selling "our" Notes in Asia. Doesn't seem fair does it? If they can repair them to sell in another country why can't they do that here? I just don't understand that. One problem I have is that they are always changing things that don't need changing when they come out with new phones, I'm speaking specifically software. App icons are looking more and more child like and washed out. I'm just venting.... I can't get over the loss of losing the best phone that I ever had!
Vendors in some other countries may be more lax on consumer safety. The carriers here are not going to go through the nightmare of another recall, risking their name being attached to the potential injuries and/or associated with people receiving felony charges for smuggling them onto planes, etc. The devices are still banned for travel.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have loaded a bunch of movies on my phones for years just in case I wanted to watch them while on trips or in hospital. Never have. But I often drive patients to hospitals for treatments and read on the Kindle app on my phone. I suspect it will not be as enjoyable on the taller screen since I normally read on a Kindle Oasis. But I will survive with my new 8+.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I sent my G6 back today after playing with the s8 plus numerous times. I actually love the new aspect ratio of the G6 and s8. I may be wrong but I think people will like it once they have them and start using it.

J4To

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to say that my thoughts are exactly echoed above.

If I still had my Note 7, I would admire the design of the S8/S8+ but not a chance would I be upgrading. It was damn near perfect for my tastes.