Samsung Premium Care for S8 & S8+

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Premium Care for S8 & S8+

I thought maybe they were going to offer it free of charge, part of the package. I am interested in seeing what everyone thinks about this new protection plan.

Square Trade looks very economical. I have always just took out the insurance offered by the carrier. I will check it out next time I upgrade.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll take the free month with the S8 I ordered for one of my other lines but at $12/month and no loss/theft coverage, there's better options out there.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

I'll take the free month with the S8 I ordered for one of my other lines but at $12/month and no loss/theft coverage, there's better options out there.
I was kind of surprised at the price myself. I wonder if there are any advantages at all as opposed to the other Protection Plans available.

There are a couple nice features, but I think they priced it too high.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I was kind of surprised at the price myself. I wonder if there are any advantages at all as opposed to the other Protection Plans available.

There are a couple nice features, but I think they priced it too high.
I think their big selling point is speed of service. Next day, hand delivered at a location of the customers choosing would be pretty nice.

I do think $12 is a little high but if it included loss/theft that might change my mind.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

I think their big selling point is speed of service. Next day, hand delivered at a location of the customers choosing would be pretty nice.

I do think $12 is a little high but if it included loss/theft that might change my mind.

Yeah, the service itself sounds spectacular.

I agree, if it covered loss/theft the cost would be much more palatable.

It doesn't even cover insect infestation🐛 Can you believe that 😁

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Well this used to be an easy decision with Samsung Protection Plus. This plan is clearly much more expensive. Hmm?

Samsung Galaxy S8 protection plans.jpg
* SquareTrade Family plan price

Samsung Galaxy S8 protection plans.jpg
* SquareTrade Single Plan price with PHONE20 discount promo code

Last edited:

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
SquareTrade doesn't cover loss or theft either. I'd rather stick with Asurion for $7.99 / mo.

Not a good option - even more costly.

Samsung Galaxy S8 protection plans + Sqtrade + Asurion.jpg

Whats hard to justify in all these cases is the depreciation of the phone over time and potential phone upgrades/deals to come.

Looking at last years Galaxy S7 you can buy Manufacturer Refurbs (which is what you'll get on these insurance plans) for less that $300 now. So for most plans it only makes sense if you expect to hold the phone for 2 years and have 2 or more repairs to buy the insurance.

An interesting idea is hold the Samsung Premium Care for 12 months (using 1 month free offer) and then go self-insured. Your covered during the high replacement cost period.

Samsung Galaxy S8 protection plan - 1yr only.jpg

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Not a good option - even more costly.

View attachment 256402

Whats hard to justify in all these cases is the depreciation of the phone over time and potential phone upgrades/deals to come.

Looking at last years Galaxy S7 you can buy Manufacturer Refurbs (which is what you'll get on these insurance plans) for less that $300 now. So for most plans it only makes sense if you expect to hold the phone for 2 years and have 2 or more repairs to buy the insurance.
Exactly, if you factor in the monthly costs and deductible and never use them it's pointless IMO. Also, if you have been taking insurance on phones till now so much money down the drain. Sure you don't have to pay one time cost to buy replacement but just put the monthly premium in some saving account or somewhere else to use when you need it. Imagine you have been paying phone insurance for so many devices and never used, instead keep that money aside for using when you lose or break the phone.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I would rather go with one of the other options that does not have loss and theft.

I have never had my phone lost or stolen, but I have had it damaged before.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I think I would rather go with one of the other options that does not have loss and theft.

I have never had my phone lost or stolen, but I have had it damaged before.

I would probably do the same. Everyone has different lifestyles. Mine puts me more at risk for phone damage than theft. Not saying it can't happen but I'd rather save the money.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
SquareTrade doesn't cover loss or theft either. I'd rather stick with Asurion for $7.99 / mo.

Had a bad experience with Asurion, so I would not go with them. I had done AppleCare with my previous iPhones. I would do the Samsung care if there was an option to pay a flat fee and be done with it. As it is I will stick with the smartphone addon that my homeowners offers.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Had a bad experience with Asurion, so I would not go with them. I had done AppleCare with my previous iPhones. I would do the Samsung care if there was an option to pay a flat fee and be done with it. As it is I will stick with the smartphone addon that my homeowners offers.
Last year on the N7 is was a flat fee $129 not sure what happened there

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... I'll check my home owners insurance and see if it is included. I'm with USAA. They are pretty good.
Not sure if you've made claims on your homeowners insurance before. But, claiming smaller items is the best way to get your premiums raised and possibly cancelled as you will be listed as a greater threat to make more claims.
Something to think about.
A lot of homeowners deductibles are fairly high as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty