Can I use Google Photos instead of Gallery as my default?

A

AC Question

New to Android and just got the S8+. All my photos are backed up to google photos. I want to upload one of those photos on my phone but it takes me to gallery (which is empty) is there a way to change my default app to google photos instead of gallery?

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Just hold on the photo you want and you should have a option to save to device, Google photos is not based on your phone so no default to save camera photos there, but any folder on your phone can be used to upload photos to Google automatically

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
New to Android and just got the S8+. All my photos are backed up to google photos. I want to upload one of those photos on my phone but it takes me to gallery (which is empty) is there a way to change my default app to google photos instead of gallery?

What do you mean "you want to upload one of the photo's on my phone" if you dont have any photo's on your phone? In my experience, any photo you take on your phone should show up in both your samsung gallery and google photo's. Is that not happening?

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
This is really as simple as just using google photos instead of the default samsung app. No need to do anything else.

Derthvader

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi, Just got my note 8 and loving it. Like the original post I would like Google Photo as my default app i.e. when posting from within Facebook it presents Samsung Gallery as the default and no option to browse Google Photo. Appreciate if someone could tell me how to change this. Thank you

Last edited:

Heather Crutchley

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi, Just got my note 8 and loving it. Like the original post I would like Google Photo as my default app i.e. when posting from within Facebook it presents Samsung Gallery as the default and no option to browse Google Photo. Appreciate if someone could tell me how to change this. Thank you

This same problem today. I have had Google photos set as my default for months, but all of a sudden today, apps like messenger and Instagram are only showing my samsung gallery as an option. And in my app manager, Google photos is set as the default. I have been able to upload a Google photos photo while in the Instagram app before. I am so co fused as to why I can't all of a sudden. I have been tinkering with my phone and researching stuff for hours now. I even went into the Verizon store and no one even undrstood what I was talking about.

twilightmx

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
This same problem today. I have had Google photos set as my default for months, but all of a sudden today, apps like messenger and Instagram are only showing my samsung gallery as an option. And in my app manager, Google photos is set as the default. I have been able to upload a Google photos photo while in the Instagram app before. I am so co fused as to why I can't all of a sudden. I have been tinkering with my phone and researching stuff for hours now. I even went into the Verizon store and no one even undrstood what I was talking about.
Any update?

air2desk

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Same problem on S8. Facebook and Instagram automatically open Gallery. In order to post a pic, must open Google Photos, download to phone, then go back to Social Media App to post. Help please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress