The Samsung Galaxy S8 has a random reboot problem and nobody knows why.

dego locsta

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Wrong. It's not hard to understand. If we want to diagnose how widespread the problem is and what might be causing it, we need to hear both from people who are having the problem, and people who aren't.
Wrong. We already know this isn't affecting everyone, or there would be a recall... So there is no point in posting to say that you don't have the problem. If everyone on the forums who is not having the issue posted in this thread it would be buried with people who don't have the issue.

So if you think about it, if it was only those posting in the thread who have the issue, we could see how bad the issue truly was, in itself. I stand by my original statement, there is no reason to post in this thread "I am not having the issue". The thread should be for people who have the issue, and those who don't have the issue but are trying to offer advice or a fix. Anything else is just congesting the thread with useless info to pad your post count.

Common sense really....

Edit: Also posts that say one word such as "This" are also just as pointless IMO and serve no real meaningful use in the ongoing conversation to try and find a fix. Not to mention that saying "This" about a quoted post is so 2005.....

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
^ Yeah i don't agree with this...at all. First off, no one is scoring points or winning prizes by having a high post count, so that's not even a thing.

But beyond that, it IS important to know how many people are having bootlooping issues, and how many are not, so that those with the issue know that they can exchange their phones. I for one have not had the issue, and I am currently using an Samsung Evo SD card with apps loading onto it.

In these types of situations, pages and pages of people saying they have had the issue, but offering nothing else, isn't the answer either. More information is needed, not less.

And replying in agreement with *THIS*, only seems to bother people when they're not the one using it. lol

dego locsta

May 9, 2017
Visit site
^ Yeah i don't agree with this...at all. First off, no one is scoring points or winning prizes by having a high post count, so that's not even a thing.

But beyond that, it IS important to know how many people are having bootlooping issues, and how many are not, so that those with the issue know that they can exchange their phones. I for one have not had the issue, and I am currently using an Samsung Evo SD card with apps loading onto it.

In these types of situations, pages and pages of people saying they have had the issue, but offering nothing else, isn't the answer either. More information is needed, not less.

And replying in agreement with *THIS*, only seems to bother people when they're not the one using it. lol

Agree to disagree then, I see it as a waste, even if someone "This" quotes my post.

And you are the first I have seen to say that they have apps on the sd card and are not having issues, the rest simply say, "I have had the phone since (date) and I have no issues!!!1" Or they say they have the sd card installed with no issues, but never specify if they have apps installed or just pics and videos.

Point is if you are simply posting just to say your phone is fine, and not giving any extra info about your setup, you are wasting all our time reading your post.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Mine rebooted one time a couple days after I got it. It froze up and rebooted.

Put an SD card in since then and haven't had any other problems.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Agree to disagree then, I see it as a waste, even if someone "This" quotes my post.

And you are the first I have seen to say that they have apps on the sd card and are not having issues, the rest simply say, "I have had the phone since (date) and I have no issues!!!1" Or they say they have the sd card installed with no issues, but never specify if they have apps installed or just pics and videos.

Read back through the thread. I'm not the only one. I'm not denying it's an issue with some of these phones.

But we need as many people to chime in with their experiences as possible. That way people can get a sense of whether their phone might be at risk, if it's a continuous issue that can be fixed or not fixed. And even to help folks still within their return period know that they can possibly find an unaffected unit.

Trying to shut people down because their experience doesn't match yours doesn't help either, and it's also a waste of time.

On another note, it will be interesting to see if Samsung addresses this on the next update. They tend to be good about that sort of thing actually.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Wrong. We already know this isn't affecting everyone, or there would be a recall[.]
Are you serious? A recall on the S8, following the Note 7 recall, would destroy Samsung. Nothing short of a life-threatening defect would move them to recall this phone. If they have a widespread reboot problem they don't know how to fix, they're going to try to keep quiet about it and hope it doesn't get much publicity.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh Geez... There are 147 posts here representing probably about 30 or 40 people with a problem out of how many hundreds of thousands of people who bought the phone so far. This is not a random reboot problem. It is obviously a software compatibility problem. Which software is causing it isn't so obvious. Has anyone even looked to see if it might be a Nougat issue? I have seen issues for years and many devices involving the SD card crossover issues. If that is part of it or ONE cause for SOME of the problems then stop putting apps on the card. There could be one cause or many. The fact is that MOST people do not have it or it WOULD be on the news already.

The kind of thinking below has screwed up all sides of political debate. We don't need it here in the real world where it can all eventually be reduced to ones and zeroes.

Are you serious? A recall on the S8, following the Note 7 recall, would destroy Samsung. Nothing short of a life-threatening defect would move them to recall this phone. If they have a widespread reboot problem they don't know how to fix, they're going to try to keep quiet about it and hope it doesn't get much publicity.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The fact is that MOST people do not have it or it WOULD be on the news already. [...] It is obviously a software compatibility problem.
Huh? No one claimed that "most" people have the problem (although, contrary to your statement, it's entirely possible that they do without it being "on the news"; the vast majority of users do not bother to report problems, in part because they perceive it as futile to do so).

We don't know how many people are affected by the problem. We don't know if it's a software bug or a hardware bug. We certainly don't know that it's a "software compatibility" problem--and if it is, it's still an OS bug, because in a properly working OS, an incompatible app might crash, but it won't be able to crash the whole phone.

We don't have the resources on this forum to measure the extent of the problem. But hearing from as broad a sample as possible--people who have the problem, and people who don't--will at least give us a crude approximation. When you discourage people from speaking up, you only degrade the already limited information available to us.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was not discouraging anyone from speaking up. I was questioning the conclusions being assumed. I think we do know it is software incompatibility with something but it could be a number of different problems. The poster's assumptions did nothing to help the situation. I am trying to encourage everyone to use what is here to individually consider their separate problems. I degrade nothing when I ask this guy to calm down and try to discover facts. And dego did suggest that if a large number of people had this problem it would be ignored. None of us know what the "vast majority" would or would not do. That said, I still believe if it were that widespread it would be known in more than just this forum. I follow several tech threads on Android and Samsung and have seen no mention other than here.

Huh? No one claimed that "most" people have the problem (although, contrary to your statement, it's entirely possible that they do without it being "on the news"; the vast majority of users do not bother to report problems, in part because they perceive it as futile to do so).

We don't know how many people are affected by the problem. We don't know if it's a software bug or a hardware bug. We certainly don't know that it's a "software compatibility" problem--and if it is, it's still an OS bug, because in a properly working OS, an incompatible app might crash, but it won't be able to crash the whole phone.

We don't have the resources on this forum to measure the extent of the problem. But hearing from as broad a sample as possible--people who have the problem, and people who don't--will at least give us a crude approximation. When you discourage people from speaking up, you only degrade the already limited information available to us.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

How many of those are multiple posts by the same people or by people without the issue like on this thread? Also, I don't doubt that it is real for the people having it, but for a phone that sells to millions there are always going to be a small percentage with issues. That's what returns and warranties are for.

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Have you gone on the days that Samsung is at Best Buy and talked to them?

I did.... they said they couldn't find anything wrong, but flashed the software. He also stated he saw it a lot of his 'pages' but there was no solution yet. Since that was my second one doing it, I waited till day 12 to see if it got fixed with an update.... it didn't so I returned it.

Going on 5 weeks later and still nothing.

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Oh Geez... There are 147 posts here representing probably about 30 or 40 people with a problem out of how many hundreds of thousands of people who bought the phone so far. This is not a random reboot problem. It is obviously a software compatibility problem. Which software is causing it isn't so obvious. Has anyone even looked to see if it might be a Nougat issue? I have seen issues for years and many devices involving the SD card crossover issues. If that is part of it or ONE cause for SOME of the problems then stop putting apps on the card. There could be one cause or many. The fact is that MOST people do not have it or it WOULD be on the news already.

The kind of thinking below has screwed up all sides of political debate. We don't need it here in the real world where it can all eventually be reduced to ones and zeroes.

This is just 1 site reporting this.... there are others, so you have all those people, plus the one's who arn't reporting on any forum

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
How many of those are multiple posts by the same people or by people without the issue like on this thread? Also, I don't doubt that it is real for the people having it, but for a phone that sells to millions there are always going to be a small percentage with issues. That's what returns and warranties are for.

yes, and that is what getting multiple phones doing the same thing after you return it for doing that. After the second one doing the same thing, I wasn't about to get a 3rd

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't necessarily know if I have the reboot issue or not, but I remember once I was trying to unlock my phone and it asked me to enter my pin after a restart and I didn't restart the phone. Also, I have my music stored on my 256GB Samsung Evo card that I purchased about a week ago and when I listen to a song I like, I "heart it. I even made a playlist for songs I would like to listen to when I shower, but today I realized that it somehow has erased all the "hearts and my playlist, but my music is all still there. Also erased whatever songs I put for certain contacts, so I had to put it to each contact. Again. Is there a way to fix this so it wouldn't happen? It didn't even say that my card waa unmounted. Everything works fine, it's just that for some reason it has erased the memory of whatever song I have put for my alarm, contacts, or playlist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't sound like the reboot issue people are mentioning but could be a separate SD issue being discussed on Samsung forum...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Galaxy-S8-SD-Card-Problems/td-p/91194

I don't necessarily know if I have the reboot issue or not, but I remember once I was trying to unlock my phone and it asked me to enter my pin after a restart and I didn't restart the phone. Also, I have my music stored on my 256GB Samsung Evo card that I purchased about a week ago and when I listen to a song I like, I "heart it. I even made a playlist for songs I would like to listen to when I shower, but today I realized that it somehow has erased all the "hearts and my playlist, but my music is all still there. Also erased whatever songs I put for certain contacts, so I had to put it to each contact. Again. Is there a way to fix this so it wouldn't happen? It didn't even say that my card waa unmounted. Everything works fine, it's just that for some reason it has erased the memory of whatever song I have put for my alarm, contacts, or playlist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall