AT&T Galaxy S8 S8+ is Bypassing Security While on a Phone Call

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My issue is that my phone will not stay locked during a phone call. Bullet points for simplicity:

-It happens on a phone call with a wired headset, Bluetooth headset, or no headset at all.
-If I answer the phone and never unlock the phone, I have no issue, the phone stays locked properly.
-However, if at any time during the call I unlock the phone(say to send a text or email), while still on the call, the phone will not lock again no matter what I do.
-Besides the obvious security concern, this means that when I hang up the phone, it wakes the screen in an unlocked state in my pocket and starts registering screen touches. This has led to unwanted texts being sent, apps being opened, media being played, etc. Needless to say this is driving me up the wall.

To add:
-I have tried all combinations of security: fingerprint, bio-metrics, swipe, PIN, etc. No matter the unlock method, the results are the same.
-I do not have any Trusted Places registered.
-I have the phone set to lock automatically after the screen times out(set at 15 seconds) and if I press the power button. In this scenario, the power button simply turns the screen off but does not lock the device.

I have duplicated this issue on my Verizon S7 also. Anyone see any setting I am missing?

Thanks for the help and feedback!

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
And to add, I have this issue on the stock launcher also. I wanted to verify it wasn't some weird gesture issue on my launcher.

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings - Lock Screen and Security - Secure Lock Settings. See if you have the "Lock instantly with power key" toggled. The problem in the scenario you laid out is you unlock the phone while using it, so it stays unlocked until your normal security settings take hold. If you toggle the "Lock instantly with power key" on and just make a habit of hitting the power key after you're done with a call, your phone should be locked.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings - Lock Screen and Security - Secure Lock Settings. See if you have the "Lock instantly with power key" toggled. The problem in the scenario you laid out is you unlock the phone while using it, so it stays unlocked until your normal security settings take hold. If you toggle the "Lock instantly with power key" on and just make a habit of hitting the power key after you're done with a call, your phone should be locked.
Thanks for the response. I have that setting turned on and it does not perform as intended. I hit the power button, and it does not lock the screen.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The phone is in your possession during the call, why should it be locked?
-Because I want it to be?
-Because locks are there for a reason?
-Because I don't want anyone to be able to pick my phone up and have free access to my world?

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
What's the security issue?
I live in a world where phones are stolen and lost. Therefore I have security set up so a random stranger cannot pick up my phone and freely use it. If those security measures are disabled against my wishes, that is a security issue for me.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so more testing and it only does this with a headset(wired or Bluetooth). But the phone locks normally when no headset is used.

I can't be alone here as this happens on my S7 and S8+.

kill-joy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so more testing and it only does this with a headset(wired or Bluetooth). But the phone locks normally when no headset is used.

I can't be alone here as this happens on my S7 and S8+.

I have the same issue; even with the smart settings off and the settings to lock immediately after turning off the screen it still won't securely lock. If it is a Bluetooth issue (with the headphones) that sucks because I have two smartwatches I enjoy wearing :/

I have noticed a restart fixes the issue temporarily...

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, you're saying that even after the phone call ends, the phone will not lock no matter what you then do?
No, it will lock after the call is ended if I lock it myself.

It is just during the phone call that no matter what, it will not lock.

DonnaGator

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem with my Galaxy S8. I have my home set as a trusted place, and my car stereo set as a trusted device. I have on-body detection disabled. I have automatic locking set to 1 minute after the screen turns off. I have "lock instantly with the power key" turned on. There have been a number of times when I pressed the power key to lock the phone, but it stayed unlocked. This happens when I'm nowhere near my house or car. Whenever it happens, I do a restart and it starts working properly again for a while. I guess I will keep restarting it until there is a fix.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem with my Galaxy S8. I have my home set as a trusted place, and my car stereo set as a trusted device. I have on-body detection disabled. I have automatic locking set to 1 minute after the screen turns off. I have "lock instantly with the power key" turned on. There have been a number of times when I pressed the power key to lock the phone, but it stayed unlocked. This happens when I'm nowhere near my house or car. Whenever it happens, I do a restart and it starts working properly again for a while. I guess I will keep restarting it until there is a fix.

I have problems even after a restart. I did find one part that works, if you let the screen time out, it will properly lock. But pressing the power button to lock it still does nothing.

vrndavana

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
The same is happening with mine. I thought that it was over Bluetooth only. When I answer a call while on my pocket, it would be unlocked and because the rubbing on my leg, it would hang up the call, open another app, pocket dial someone... but I did answer using the speakerphone and still I could open and close during the call without any security lock. It's a really a huge flaw in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith