Any way to shoot Photosphere photos with the S8?

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded from the Nexus 6P. The S8's camera is quite good, but I am missing being able to shoot Photospheres. Is there a way to do this or even be able to port over Google's camera?

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded from the Nexus 6P. The S8's camera is quite good, but I am missing being able to shoot Photospheres. Is there a way to do this or even be able to port over Google's camera?
I was wondering the same thing! I had the feature on the S7. But unable to find it on the S8+ nor is it an available camera mode to download.

frankd1

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site

Just go into the Samsung Galaxy Apps app and download the Surround Shot app. I'm not sure why they didn't flag it so it could be downloaded from within the camera app itself, but once you install it it shows up from inside the camera app.

ilengyel

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Just go into the Samsung Galaxy Apps app and download the Surround Shot app. I'm not sure why they didn't flag it so it could be downloaded from within the camera app itself, but once you install it it shows up from inside the camera app.

"Surround Shot" gives me no results when searching in Galaxy Apps. Maybe it is blocked in my region :(.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't work here on S8+ Vzw
d7369538ca6a045d48dbabc015a05b1d.jpg

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Won't the Google Camera from the play store allow photosphere shots? I just use my Gear 360 camera now though.

Google's Camera app in the Play Store is only compatible with Google's devices like the Nexus and Pixel phones. Doesn't show up for other devices.

I was thinking about getting the Insta360 eventually, but I don't have it yet and would like to be able to shoot Photospheres manually.
The Samsung Panorama only pans horizontally. You can't shoot up and down or be able to shoot actual 360s.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to swipe right within the camera app and tap on download at the top. You will find a bunch of camera modes there.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to swipe right within the camera app and tap on download at the top. You will find a bunch of camera modes there.

That only shows a bunch of filters and those Snapchat-like overlays you can download. Doesn't seem to have anything like Surround Shot or Photosphere. Searching "Surround Shot" shows in the Galaxy App either.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
That only shows a bunch of filters and those Snapchat-like overlays you can download. Doesn't seem to have anything like Surround Shot or Photosphere. Searching "Surround Shot" shows in the Galaxy App either.
Swipe the other way. Let me know what you find.

The screen is to the left, but you need to swipe to the rightツ
9a00f0f57fad9a9be63aff08d390a2b8.jpg
d94a6a9bfbd58e51421f1300521ec59e.jpg
bd9048500940b62311ec262751e6ee03.jpg

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Swipe the other way. Let me know what you find.

The screen is to the left, but you need to swipe to the rightツ

For whatever reason Surround Shot is the ONLY item that isn't on the list for me.
I'm on T-Mobile S8. Have checked all updates to make sure everything is on the latest version. Even restarted, checked again. For some random reason Surround Shot isn't available to be downloaded officially.

Also comparing to your screenshot, I also don't have Video collage or Live Broadcast.
What network/version are you on?

I had to dig around and saw someone post this APK link on reddit that finally seems to work. Hopefully it doesn't add any new bugs or other problems. :)

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...e/surroundshot2-1-4-3-1-android-apk-download/

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
For whatever reason Surround Shot is the ONLY item that isn't on the list for me.
I'm on T-Mobile S8. Have checked all updates to make sure everything is on the latest version. Even restarted, checked again. For some random reason Surround Shot isn't available to be downloaded officially.

I had to dig around and saw someone post this APK link on reddit that finally seems to work. Hopefully it doesn't add any new bugs or other problems. :)

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...e/surroundshot2-1-4-3-1-android-apk-download/
Hmm, sorry that did not help. Hopefully you found what you were looking for without any issues☺️

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, sorry that did not help. Hopefully you found what you were looking for without any issues☺️

Thank you anyway though! It's just so annoying on Samsung's part... why can't they just leave it be?

Also while searching around on some pretty old threads, I saw some people mention using Google Street View app to shoot Photospheres. I just installed that and it does seem to work. Funny that it's kind of a hidden feature of that app as it's used more for people to view and share Photospheres publicly. So if you just want to use it for your own personal use, just make sure not to publish anything after shooting.

Here's the link for that if anyone's interested: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.google.android.street&token=tBzHXQ_E

Looks like there are 2 solutions now to regain the ability to shoot Photospheres on the S8, though they are kind of hacky. Hopefully some day maybe Samsung will just simply put that feature back in.