The only reason I pre-ordered the S8 so I could get the free VR stuff. I would have waited to see how the phone actually performs before I would get one, but free stuff that normally retails for $100 or more? Well, ok, you got me. I'll pre-order it if it comes with free stuff.

Now, T-Mobile at least is saying that if you buy one S8 you get one free.

Damn. That's a $750 phone for free.

I don't know if I could have sold it, but damn, I would have if I could have. I would have sold it for $500 and gone out and bought the VR stuff and still had $400.

O well, too late now. smh
    05-15-2017 06:07 PM
    There's no such thing as a 'free lunch', though... The BOGO promo comes with a 2-year contract attached. Yes, it's a great promo, but not too great unless you want to be tied up for a couple years to a carrier.
    05-15-2017 06:24 PM
    I was initially bummed. But then saw you need to start a new line. That won't work for me. And after using my phone my wife decided she prefers her V20 over it. So I wouldn't have taken advantage of this anyway
    05-15-2017 06:43 PM
    I got a call from my local T-Mobile rep about this offer. Since I already had an S8+ that I got on Jump ON DEMAND!, he said I could go in, jump again to an S8+, get the free phone, add the line and then cancel the line and keep the phone. Sounded too good to be true, I'm sure he was forgetting a couple of details. I never followed up.
    05-15-2017 06:59 PM
    I got a call from my local T-Mobile rep about this offer. Since I already had an S8+ that I got on Jump ON DEMAND!, he said I could go in, jump again to an S8+, get the free phone, add the line and then cancel the line and keep the phone. Sounded too good to be true, I'm sure he was forgetting a couple of details. I never followed up.
    You cancel the line, TMOBILE will bill you for the remaining phone balance. Nothing for free. You need an active line for 2 years. That simple, AT&T doing the same.
    05-15-2017 07:33 PM
    Sprint has the same deal. They offered me a "free" s8 to go with my new phone purchase. They also offered me a "free" tablet.
    05-15-2017 08:13 PM
    You cancel the line, TMOBILE will bill you for the remaining phone balance. Nothing for free. You need an active line for 2 years. That simple, AT&T doing the same.
    This is where I think clarification is needed. They are giving you a 750 dollar prepaid card. Cancel line and balance is due but what if you use card to pay off device? There is no remaining balance...
    05-15-2017 10:00 PM
    This is where I think clarification is needed. They are giving you a 750 dollar prepaid card. Cancel line and balance is due but what if you use card to pay off device? There is no remaining balance...
    You have to keep the line until you get the prepaid Mastercard, it's going to take a couple of months or so. After that pay off the phone, cancel line and then you can do whatever you want with the phone. Lots of people have done this with the earlier similar S7 BOGO. It's just you will be paying for couple of months of service for the additional line and reduced value for the phone when you sell after 2 or 3 months. You probably will still come few hundred dollars on top after everything is done.
    youngjediboy likes this.
    05-16-2017 12:19 AM
    You have to keep the line until you get the prepaid Mastercard, it's going to take a couple of months or so. After that pay off the phone, cancel line and then you can do whatever you want with the phone. Lots of people have done this with the earlier similar S7 BOGO. It's just you will be paying for couple of months of service for the additional line and reduced value for the phone when you sell after 2 or 3 months. You probably will still come few hundred dollars on top after everything is done.
    This is what I've been told by the reps at the store as well and also from reading many threads about it and this got me to upgrade to the S8!

Also on top of the BOGO deal, there are also 2 additional promos from Samsung that you can submit for: a Gear VR headset and an 'entertainment bundle' that includes a 64GB microSD card, $60 credit for Netflix and a case.

Pretty damned good deals!
    05-16-2017 12:55 AM
    There's no such thing as a 'free lunch', though... The BOGO promo comes with a 2-year contract attached. Yes, it's a great promo, but not too great unless you want to be tied up for a couple years to a carrier.
    That would be ok. I wouldn't change carriers. But I can't believe they're doing an old style "get a free phone when you sign a service contract" with a high end phone like the S8. That's usually reserved for the lower end phones.
    05-16-2017 04:06 PM